Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British style curry in Brisbane?

British style curry in Brisbane?

Old Apr 16th 2018, 5:48 am
Just Joined

benflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nice
Question British style curry in Brisbane?

Now that the Birkdale place has closed down, where do we go for British style curry in Brisbane now?
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 5:19 am
Just Joined

WelshBen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British style curry in Brisbane?

I was keeping an eye on this thread in the hope someone would recommend somewhere. Spice Avenue was awesome, but it looks like it was one of a kind.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 1:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure SA was the only one. Get hold of a copy of 'The Curry Secret' by Kris Dhillon and make them yourself.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

No idea with regards to Brisbane, but we had A so called British Curry House here in Leederville, Perth called Brick Lane. I'm afraid it wasn't up to much as folded within about eighteen months.

Best one I found was in Sydney, way back in 2004. I haven't been able to find it on more recent visits so looks like another sinking without trace.
I never fully recalled the name, thought it too easy to forget at the time, but was Star of (something) Owner a Brick Lane Bangla, who imported cooks from same locality.
Miss the old Brick Lane, for top class Bengali/Indian/Bangla nosh....
Old Apr 24th 2018, 3:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
No idea with regards to Brisbane, but we had A so called British Curry House here in Leederville, Perth called Brick Lane. I'm afraid it wasn't up to much as folded within about eighteen months.

Best one I found was in Sydney, way back in 2004. I haven't been able to find it on more recent visits so looks like another sinking without trace.
I never fully recalled the name, thought it too easy to forget at the time, but was Star of (something) Owner a Brick Lane Bangla, who imported cooks from same locality.
Miss the old Brick Lane, for top class Bengali/Indian/Bangla nosh....
People raved about Spice Avenue. We went up once and whilst it was good, and definitely more British curry than Australian curry, it wasn't good enough - in our opinion - to go again. People used to drive for hours to go there.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 5:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
People raved about Spice Avenue. We went up once and whilst it was good, and definitely more British curry than Australian curry, it wasn't good enough - in our opinion - to go again. People used to drive for hours to go there.
I know people who used to make a 6 hour round trip! Like you, I went there once, I'm not a great curry eater, and the food was OK but I didn't really think the place lived up to the hype.
Didn't bear much resemblance to the beer and curry nights we used to have at home.

OP -Iknow a lot of Brits who used to go there every month or so and they always said there was nowhere else like it. Gap in the market now for someone I guess!!
Old Apr 24th 2018, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know people who used to make a 6 hour round trip! Like you, I went there once, I'm not a great curry eater, and the food was OK but I didn't really think the place lived up to the hype.
Didn't bear much resemblance to the beer and curry nights we used to have at home.

OP -Iknow a lot of Brits who used to go there every month or so and they always said there was nowhere else like it. Gap in the market now for someone I guess!!

Just up the road

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowU..._Victoria.html
Old Apr 24th 2018, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Shame neither of the 2 sons were keen to take it on Polly as it looked like a business able to print whatever amount of money they cared to cope with
Certainly not a flash in the pan restaurant either as it was there all of the 11 years we have lived nearby so must've been doing something right. God bless Naz, provided some cracking nights for us lot and may he enjoy his well earned retirement .
As for the op ,we've not come across anything as British as that (we are big curry eaters ) but I have to say there some very good Indian Restaurants around Brissy these days ( certainly have vastly improved over the last few years that's for sure)....without being British. Just follow your nose !!
Old Apr 24th 2018, 1:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Shame neither of the 2 sons were keen to take it on Polly as it looked like a business able to print whatever amount of money they cared to cope with
Certainly not a flash in the pan restaurant either as it was there all of the 11 years we have lived nearby so must've been doing something right. God bless Naz, provided some cracking nights for us lot and may he enjoy his well earned retirement .
As for the op ,we've not come across anything as British as that (we are big curry eaters ) but I have to say there some very good Indian Restaurants around Brissy these days ( certainly have vastly improved over the last few years that's for sure)....without being British. Just follow your nose !!
Your band of devoted curry eaters must have spent a fortune there over the years/ I'm surprised his sons didn't go for it as a business as it has become so popular over the years.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Your band of devoted curry eaters must have spent a fortune there over the years/ I'm surprised his sons didn't go for it as a business as it has become so popular over the years.
Me too I even volunteered to count their money for them on a weekly basis , a very weakly basis !