Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British police check. Can somone advise?

British police check. Can somone advise?

Old Sep 8th 2002, 6:30 am
Just Joined

shakey_jakey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British police check. Can somone advise?

I live in South Africa but lived in the UK permanently for just under six years. I need to get a British police check, and have gone to a web site where you can download an application form for such a purpose. However, I see their are two options, one for a check through the National Police Computer and another for a Metropolitan police check. Can someone advise about which one it is that I am supposed to request? Also, on the internet application form, they ask to list incidents which I may have witnessed, or been involved in. I have looked for other forms that might just be aimed for immigration police checks, but to no such avail, which are particularly geared toward just getting a police clearance, since I have never been involved in any incidents?

Can someone advise, or do I need to contact a police station, where I previously lived in the UK to obtain such an application form. I need this form urgently like everybody else, and unfortunately have the geographic logistic problem to deal with as well!

I would appreciate this advise asap.

Many thanks,

Shakey Jakey
Old Sep 8th 2002, 6:47 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British police check. Can somone advise?

I take it you are using http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotec...ms/dpa3019b.pdf .

You do not need to contact a police station since you are no longer living in UK. Immigration is not interested in what you may have witnessed/ incidents etc - just a clear police record.

Just tick the bit about convictions. There's only one box if you've got the right form. It says:

'If you require information from the Police National Computer, about Prosecutions,
Convictions and Cautions History, tick here  '

Simple.
Old Sep 8th 2002, 7:15 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pleasancefamily:
I take it you are using http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotec...ms/dpa3019b.pdf .

You do not need to contact a police station since you are no longer living in UK. Immigration is not interested in what you may have witnessed/ incidents etc - just a clear police record.

Just tick the bit about convictions. There's only one box if you've got the right form. It says:

'If you require information from the Police National Computer, about Prosecutions,
Convictions and Cautions History, tick here  '

Many thanks for your prompt advise with regard to the police check.

But I have a question which may sound idiotic.

Do you have to tick the box, even if you have never had any "Prosecutions, Convictions and Cautions History"?

Or do you simply select the other box ... and indicate you are applying for the police check for immigration purposes?

Thanks again

Shakey Jake
Old Sep 8th 2002, 7:59 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

You just tick the box I indicated before because the report will come back (hopefully) *showing* you have no police record.

There is nowhere to indicate you are applying for immigration so this is not required.
Old Sep 8th 2002, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:
You just tick the box I indicated before because the report will come back (hopefully) *showing* you have no police record.

There is nowhere to indicate you are applying for immigration so this is not required.

Thank you for your advise once again,

Shakey Jakey