British Pension

Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

KingsthorpeDavid will become famous soon enough
Default British Pension

I recently retired after 31 years working in Australia and 21 years in the "old country". I applied for an Australian Age Pension and was accepted by Centrelink after answering many questions and two interviews.
Started to receive the fortnightly pension then received a letter "Request For Claim Papers from United Kingdom". Saying "Australian social security law requires you to take reasonable action to claim any foreign pension entitlements you may have, otherwise your Australian payment may be stopped."
Also saying "In most instances making a claim is in your best interest as it will increase your overall income if you are successful."
I was unaware of being able to claim a pension from the U.K.
Have filled in the form giving my last three employers in England and returned it to Centrelink International services, Hobart.
Will advise the outcome when known.

David
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Pension

Originally Posted by KingsthorpeDavid
I recently retired after 31 years working in Australia and 21 years in the "old country". I applied for an Australian Age Pension and was accepted by Centrelink after answering many questions and two interviews.
Started to receive the fortnightly pension then received a letter "Request For Claim Papers from United Kingdom". Saying "Australian social security law requires you to take reasonable action to claim any foreign pension entitlements you may have, otherwise your Australian payment may be stopped."
Also saying "In most instances making a claim is in your best interest as it will increase your overall income if you are successful."
Have filled in the form giving my last three employers in England and returned it to Centrelink International services, Hobart.

David
If you worked in the UK you will have paid National Insurance and will be entitled to a pension. However this is then taken into account when calculating your Aus pension and you may lose part of the latter as a result. Thats why Centrelink wants you to claim it; the more you get from the UK the less they have to fork out here.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

You should be entitled to just over 2/3 of the full UK pension. If you are new to the idea of a UK pension please be aware that once you claim it the weekly payment is frozen, ie no cost of living increases.

For more info

http://youle.info/bpia-blog/
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KingsthorpeDavid

David
I recently sorted this out for my elderly mother she wasn't aware she was entitled to a uk pension, a few forms filled in and she got her Uk pension backdated 6 years and paid in 2 lump sums and every month she recieves a payment at whatever the exchange rate is, she is not entitled to an Aussie pemsion so this comes in very handy for her
Old Jul 9th 2012, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Interesting Lesleys about the pension not going up with inflation.
What would happen if your UK pension was just transferred into your UK bank account and the transferred into your Aus account every couple of months or so, would that be any different?
Old Jul 9th 2012, 11:38 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
What would happen if your UK pension was just transferred into your UK bank account and the transferred into your Aus account every couple of months or so, would that be any different?
There's no fiddle if that's what your asking, Centrelink know how the U.K system works hence the OP getting the appropriate forms to apply for his U.K pension. Once that's being paid your centrelink pension decreases accordingly.
It's not all expats that have their pensions frozen. In certain countries the pensions do rise with the cost of living increases that the U.K govt occasionally apply. Unfortunately Australia isn't one of those countries.
Of course there are allegedly some very old claimants in Pakistan, if one is to believe the U.K press, some of the pension recipients there are well over 100 years old.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

If the UK pension is frozen, surely that's not a good thing for the Aussies because will they not then lift their cobtributions up to prevent ?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:38 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

No - why should it be?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 2:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If the UK pension is frozen, surely that's not a good thing for the Aussies because will they not then lift their cobtributions up to prevent ?
This is the reason the Australians terminated the U.K./Australia social security agreement in 2001.

Although it's curious that so many people get worked up and angry about British state pensions not being indexed, while no-one complains about the Australian pension being means tested.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

patsmb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lesleys
You should be entitled to just over 2/3 of the full UK pension. If you are new to the idea of a UK pension please be aware that once you claim it the weekly payment is frozen, ie no cost of living increases.

For more info

http://youle.info/bpia-blog/
Sorry but the 2/3rds bit is not correct the UK pension is frozen at what it was when you emigrated
IE we left in 1982 hubby receives £54 a week and I receive £27 per week
Its paid into our Aussie bank account in $ every 4 weeks -in arrears at what ever the exchange rate for that day is
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by patsmb
Sorry but the 2/3rds bit is not correct the UK pension is frozen at what it was when you emigrated
IE we left in 1982 hubby receives £54 a week and I receive £27 per week
Its paid into our Aussie bank account in $ every 4 weeks -in arrears at what ever the exchange rate for that day is
No, it's frozen at the rate when you first started claiming. So it would only be frozen at the rate when you emigrated if you were already claiming it when you emigrated.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

annier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by louie
No, it's frozen at the rate when you first started claiming. So it would only be frozen at the rate when you emigrated if you were already claiming it when you emigrated.
I get 22 pence per week, paid every December, it doesnt even buy a bottle of Bacardi. asked them if they could send it straight to Dr Barnardos, and they said not allowed too.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by louie
Thats correct in some ways as in frozen when you claim but the amount is based on what its was when you emigrated -my hubby claimed in 2007 but does not get 2/3 rds
My own pension was 5p a week as I paid the married womens stamp (on government recommendation !) but once hubby retired I get part of his
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=KingsthorpeDavid;10153891]I recently retired after 31 years working in Australia and 21 years in the "old country". I applied for an Australian Age Pension and was accepted by Centrelink after answering many questions and two interviews.

You do not by the way have to go through Centrelink to claim there is an O/S office in Newcastle Upon Tyne and you can email or ring them for the forms They are helpfull and its sometimes quicker doing it that way
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by patsmb
Thats correct in some ways as in frozen when you claim but the amount is based on what its was when you emigrated -my hubby claimed in 2007 but does not get 2/3 rds
My own pension was 5p a week as I paid the married womens stamp (on government recommendation !) but once hubby retired I get part of his
It's based on how many years contributions you made. The OP has 21 years contributions and you need 30 years for a full pension (that has probably reduced since your husband retired) so he would get 21/30 = roughly 2/3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.