Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Passports when in Australia

British Passports when in Australia

Old May 1st 2014, 8:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passports when in Australia

Why do we have to send our Aus passport as well?

p.5
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ance_10.13.pdf
Old May 1st 2014, 8:55 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Why do we have to send our Aus passport as well?

p.5
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ance_10.13.pdf
You don't. If you choose to declare it just include a colour photocopy.
Old May 18th 2014, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

How long does it take from time of application to receiving new passports?
Old May 18th 2014, 8:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luma
How long does it take from time of application to receiving new passports?
Normal service standards times are four weeks for a renewal, six weeks for a first time application. However many BE posters are currently complaining of long delays of over three months.
Old May 18th 2014, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Sausage sizzle is an unknown quantity at this point

9weeks we finally got ours back that's for 2 renewals and one first passport, we have 2 birth certificates not been returned yet so a little worried they have gone missing.
Old May 18th 2014, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

We applied early march, after 6 weeks the 3 passports were rejected. More information, they claimed my totally genuine, immaculately kept passports were a possible forgery We are now waiting for a FULL copy of my birth certificate from the UK so we can send it off and start again. They had all our UK passports, Aus passport, all our birth certs, marriage certs, identification documents, all witnessed by friends with UK passports and as I say rejected.

Allow plenty of time, given the documents sent we had expected it to go smoothly.
Old May 18th 2014, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sausage sizzle
9weeks we finally got ours back that's for 2 renewals and one first passport, we have 2 birth certificates not been returned yet so a little worried they have gone missing.

Someone said they are returned about 2 weeks later brizzybee I think. Its worrying sending that lot isnt it?

My son works in aviation and to be honest having all the originals of that many documents gone has been a major hassle.
Old May 20th 2014, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

deelink is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just written to the Australian office of the British High Commission. I've also written to the current MP who represents the electorate where I lived in the UK. I don't know if what I'm doing will do any good but at least I'm getting it off my chest................

The procedure for obtaining British Passports from o/seas changed at the beginning of this year and now it can only be done online. I made an online application for Passport renewal in early March and sent my old passport and supporting documents to the UK Government office. A week later I received confirmation that my application and documents had been received and I was given a tracking number.

Nine weeks later I have still not received my new passport and although I have emailed the office in Liverpool twice, I have been given no indication when I can expect to receive it. In my last email I asked if there was anything I could do to speed things up and was told that “there is no way to expedite an overseas application”

I have tried to find out how my application is progressing using the tracking number. BUT if you live in Australia you can’t track your Application online - the only way to do it is by phoning the Liverpool office. So I made an international call. Getting through took about 20 redials then I was put on hold and there I stayed for five hours until my phone ran out of charge. At no time was there any voice recording or any indication where I was in the queue or how long the wait was going to be. International calls are expensive and I feel that it is very unfair to have people wait so long without any ‘encouraging information’ letting them know where they are in the queue and how long before their turn to be answered.

I know that passports are now processed in the UK and that it is no longer being done in Australia but I would like to make my complaint known both here and in the UK and strongly request that the procedure be made easier for those of us who are British but live in Australia.
Old May 20th 2014, 11:50 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

delink - have you tried using your tracking number on the normal system - or the online system?

https://www.gov.uk/track-passport-application
Old May 21st 2014, 12:31 am
Just Joined

I think this only applies if you made your application in the UK.
Old May 21st 2014, 12:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deelink
I think this only applies if you made your application in the UK.
I would try it in that system, as online there isn't usually a tracking number but if you have been supplied one then it may work. The link also says that to track an online application, log onto the online system. I don't have a log in to try, but it may be possible to track once logged in. Worth a try I thought
Old May 21st 2014, 12:41 am
Just Joined

I was wrong old.sparkles. I was able to follow the tracking system online but sadly the only information given was that my application had been received and was being examined and processed. No information about how long it was going to take and when I could expect to receive it.
However, at least it didn't say it had been rejected or that there was a problem.
Old May 21st 2014, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by deelink
I was wrong old.sparkles. I was able to follow the tracking system online but sadly the only information given was that my application had been received and was being examined and processed. No information about how long it was going to take and when I could expect to receive it.
However, at least it didn't say it had been rejected or that there was a problem.
I wouldn't think anyone would be able to tell you how long it will take, but if you check every week then you may be able to discover when it's printed and dispatched. In the meantime, if you are able to re-schedule the planned trip it may be a safer option.
Old May 21st 2014, 1:18 am
Just Joined

I think you are right. It's a 'no win' situation. I did hope that if I could actually speak to someone I could get some idea of how far along my application was.
However I am still going to continue registering my complaints about a system which is obviously not working well.
Sadly I can't reschedule my o/seas travel plans. It's no passport - no go!!
Old May 22nd 2014, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

boogster is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry about not being able to track your application on-line it is a total waste of time. I am not applying from Australia, but from Bermuda and my documents had to be sent to Durham, but the exact same problems are occurring as you guys are getting. The system is a total shambles.

On-line tracking has three categories

1) Awaiting information from the applicant
We are either waiting for your signed declaration form, or we have sent you a letter or an email and we are waiting for your reply.

2)Declaration form received, being processed
We have received your declaration form and we are processing your application (eg it is being examined, or it has been approved and your passport is waiting to be printed).

3)Dispatched
Your new passport has been printed and will be delivered shortly to the return address that you have given us.

Pretty much everybody fits into the second category and NOBODY you speak to can tell how far down the line the application is. I have phoned numerous times to the Passport Adviceline and all they can tell you is the date it was received and that my application is awaiting examination. The only time frame they give is that it takes at least 4 weeks. I know that because they have already had it 6 weeks !

Twice I have been told that my documents will have been looked at and checked by now and twice that they won't have been looked at all ! A total shambles.

I was booked for a call from the passport office within 72 hrs last week, that never happened. Now they have expedited that request and I have to wait another 72 hrs !!

They have had my application 6 weeks. I have seen on other forums that some people have been getting theirs in 8 weeks. I am supposed travel the beginning of July so it could be cutting it fine !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.