British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   British Passports when in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/british-passports-when-australia-802533/)

Pollyana Aug 13th 2015 11:14 am

Re: British Passports when in Australia

Originally Posted by astera (Post 11722817)
Hmmm, seems like someone there has an interest in directing people to the photo booth. :)

Whoa, what a load of nonsense. Sometimes it's amazing how people with no clue about something can give the most idiotic advice or make up such incredulous, non-existent rules.

Does the UK still require a copy of every single page of the Aussie passport (or any other passports held) to be submitted with the UK passport application?

They can ask but they can't insist on it.

Briar Aug 14th 2015 9:59 am

Originally Posted by astera (Post 11722817)
Hmmm, seems like someone there has an interest in directing people to the photo booth. :)

Whoa, what a load of nonsense. Sometimes it's amazing how people with no clue about something can give the most idiotic advice or make up such incredulous, non-existent rules.

Does the UK still require a copy of every single page of the Aussie passport (or any other passports held) to be submitted with the UK passport application?

They will not accept copies of any other passport, but want the original passport sent to them. I wasn't happy about sending my Australian passport, which was why I decided to renew my Brit one when i was in UK recently.

And yes I agree with your other comments!

Briar Aug 14th 2015 10:05 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11722845)
Unless it's changed, both countries have different criteria for the photos so one won't work for the other. Same the world over, the 'rules' some countries have are bizarre. Not sure how they can argue about the photo being taken from outside the country. That makes no sense. They presumably don't expect all expats to fly 'home' to have their picture taken. :rofl:

Totally agree and I did use that argument that if I had sent my application from Australia instead of doing it in person in London, that the photo would have been the same one. But as I said, the Jobsworth I had to deal with, refused to consult with his supervisor, so I had no option but to go and have another photo taken.

astera Aug 14th 2015 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Briar (Post 11723605)
They will not accept copies of any other passport, but want the original passport sent to them.

That is mad. So just because you have another passport they feel that you should send it in (the original!) along with a UK passport application?

The last time I checked I recall reading that they wanted photocopies (of each page) and even this sounded like overkill.

What has the world come to? Ludicrous procedures like these, can't take a bottle on water on a plane, etc. Feel like moving to the Marshall Islands or some other palm tree republic and just giving the rest of the so-called civilised world a break for 10 years. Then again I am sort of doing that over on the Gold Coast... ;)

moneypenny20 Aug 14th 2015 11:52 am

I'm fairly sure if you just take photocopies of the Aus Passport used pages and get them certified and then say you can't send the original as you need it for travel purposes there's damn all the UKP office can do.

Pollyana Aug 14th 2015 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11723669)
I'm fairly sure if you just take photocopies of the Aus Passport used pages and get them certified and then say you can't send the original as you need it for travel purposes there's damn all the UKP office can do.

Exactly. And I'm sure its been discussed before wth that being the result. I certainly didn't send mine when I renewed my UK one.

shaozzy Aug 14th 2015 8:43 pm

When I renewed my UK passport, they asked for a coloured photo copy of every page of my kiwi passport (me being a kiwi citizen) which I sent along, was a pain in the arse but better than sending the original.....

BritInParis Aug 14th 2015 11:05 pm

HMPO have given up asking you to submit any foreign passports you may hold - presumably because everyone was refusing to do so - and now only state they require a copy of every page. The advice has been updated on the website accordingly.

Remember if you’re a dual national, you must send a colour photocopy of your non-UK passport (every page including blank pages) as part of your application. You may be asked to show your non-UK passport at a later date.

Of course if you don't tell them you hold any foreign passports...

Briar Aug 16th 2015 7:33 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11724105)
HMPO have given up asking you to submit any foreign passports you may hold - presumably because everyone was refusing to do so - and now only state they require a copy of every page. The advice has been updated on the website accordingly.

Of course if you don't tell them you hold any foreign passports...

Brilliant - sanity prevails! It was such a pain when they brought in that new ruling when they changed all the other passport renewal rules. I refused to send my Australian passport, and they countered with a refusal to renew my UK one until I either sent my Australian one, or presented it in person. Hence me renewing it whilst in UK earlier this year.

Pollyana Aug 16th 2015 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Briar (Post 11724894)
Brilliant - sanity prevails! It was such a pain when they brought in that new ruling when they changed all the other passport renewal rules. I refused to send my Australian passport, and they countered with a refusal to renew my UK one until I either sent my Australian one, or presented it in person. Hence me renewing it whilst in UK earlier this year.

I guess the other answer is to tell them you don't have another valid passport....I doubt they have any way of checking or if thyey do they are unlikely to bother....... ;)

scotsista Oct 1st 2015 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10793977)
- Australia Post can do UK-sized Passport photos

Hi there, our local Australia Post told me they don't do children's passport photos so I went to a small photography shop nearby. Now I realise the Australia passport photo is bigger than the UK. I'm unable to get out and about just now as unwell so wondered if you happen to know where I can get one done for a child for a UK passport? Many thanks, Angela

Pollyana Oct 1st 2015 5:32 am

Originally Posted by scotsista (Post 11762077)
Hi there, our local Australia Post told me they don't do children's passport photos so I went to a small photography shop nearby. Now I realise the Australia passport photo is bigger than the UK. I'm unable to get out and about just now as unwell so wondered if you happen to know where I can get one done for a child for a UK passport? Many thanks, Angela

Personally not a clu, especially as you haven't said where you are :)

Can't a good photographer do a photo to the specs provided?

moneypenny20 Oct 1st 2015 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by scotsista (Post 11762077)

Not sure about the Aus Post thing, never heard that before but if you pull up the required dimensions for the UK passport pic and give them to the place taking the photo they should have no problem getting the size right. K Mart do them (from memory).

astera Oct 19th 2015 8:45 am

What the deal with countersigning photos for a passport application? Can I go to a Justice of the Peace or does the person actually need to know you for 2+ years?

Also, what's this about them having to include a colour copy of their passport? This wasn't the case the last time I lodged application forms and not something that a lot of people like doing...

moneypenny20 Oct 19th 2015 10:22 am

Originally Posted by astera (Post 11774593)
What the deal with countersigning photos for a passport application? Can I go to a Justice of the Peace or does the person actually need to know you for 2+ years?

Also, what's this about them having to include a colour copy of their passport? This wasn't the case the last time I lodged application forms and not something that a lot of people like doing...

Yes a JP is fine, just remember to take old passport, driving licence etc etc so they know you are you.