Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Passports when in Australia

British Passports when in Australia

Old Jan 9th 2016, 12:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passports when in Australia

Originally Posted by astera
I'd use a local one, in fact you can find them in some of the malls offering their services, but I'm not sure how they'd react if I ask them, "can I also have a copy of YOUR passport?"
To be honest the way copies of licences and passports are bandied around over here for pub entry, posting parcels, rental applications, coughing, sneezing and burping, they cease to hold the imporatnce that they should.
Kf a JP is supposed to provide a copy of their passport as part of their role, then they will. You can but ask. I use guys at work to do mine, they are personal friends so things are a little different. If a JP feels he/she can't do it, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Also, you can know people without being physically in touch with them all the time. When I first arrived I remember signing a fellow BE member's family passport renewals as we had first been in touch with each other in the Uk and had known each other through personal messages, emails and phone calls for well over 3 years, as well as the year that we had known each other personally in Brisbane.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Pozzie_M8 is an unknown quantity at this point

The U.K. Passport Helpline is an issue foe me.They gave me this number 0011-0300 222 0000.

I tried a number of times,but I get a ring,then a busy signal.I rang my ISP and they looked that number up on their database (or whatever) and they say that number that I've been calling is not listed as far as they are concerned.

I've looked up numbers for the U.K. Passport Helpline,and I find different numbers.

Can anyone verify the above number that they have been given and actually used it please?

I just want to be sure that I am not getting scammed as I have to send everything pertaining to my I.D. in the mail along with my mother's birth certif.

I thank-you in advance.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 12:10 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just bing it? According to the official site +44 (0)300 222 0000 (remember to drop the zero if calling from abroad) this is the number to call from outside the UK.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 1:36 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pozzie_M8
The U.K. Passport Helpline is an issue foe me.They gave me this number 0011-0300 222 0000.

I tried a number of times,but I get a ring,then a busy signal.I rang my ISP and they looked that number up on their database (or whatever) and they say that number that I've been calling is not listed as far as they are concerned.

I've looked up numbers for the U.K. Passport Helpline,and I find different numbers.

Can anyone verify the above number that they have been given and actually used it please?

I just want to be sure that I am not getting scammed as I have to send everything pertaining to my I.D. in the mail along with my mother's birth certif.

I thank-you in advance.
As astera says, https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line has that number for contact. Thats the UK passport office. they are not a scam.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Why not just bing it? According to the official site +44 (0)300 222 0000 (remember to drop the zero if calling from abroad) this is the number to call from outside the UK.
I have (ixquick) and I have found it about 40 minutes after my post.

Thanks for your feed-back in relation to that "0".

You would have thought common sense would have prevailed by indicating to people ring from outside to omit that number.

Again,thanks astera for your help.....much appreciated
Old Feb 19th 2016, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As astera says, https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line has that number for contact. Thats the UK passport office. they are not a scam.
Thank-you Pollyanna. .
Old Feb 20th 2016, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd post this if people are wondering how long it takes at the moment as I just renewed mine.

Posted Application from Canberra to UK on 15th January 2016. Had my new one back in my hand on the 1st of February 2016.

Very quick turn around time. The new one looks good too, great colourful pages.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 4:38 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Just thought I'd post this if people are wondering how long it takes at the moment as I just renewed mine.

Posted Application from Canberra to UK on 15th January 2016. Had my new one back in my hand on the 1st of February 2016.

Very useful, thanks
Old Feb 20th 2016, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by canadaeh

Friend of mine renewed his uk passport a while back.

From the time of posting it,and getting his new one back,it took two weeks as well.

In my case,because I haven't renewed for 26 years,I have to go through the arduous process of applying as if I was applying for my 1st passport.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 11:38 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if you have to be at home personally when the courier comes or whether one's parents can accept the package?
Old Feb 27th 2016, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Anyone know if you have to be at home personally when the courier comes or whether one's parents can accept the package?
My guess is that if you are not at home,they'll leave a card for you to pick it up at a designated local post office.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Pozzie_M8
My guess is that if you are not at home,they'll leave a card for you to pick it up at a designated local post office.
Ok, will the post office allow them to pick it up if I can't?
Old Feb 28th 2016, 9:56 am
Home and Happy

Ok, will the post office allow them to pick it up if I can't?
If it needs ID for collection then you will actually have to sign the pick-up card giving them permission to pick-up on your behalf.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If it needs ID for collection then you will actually have to sign the pick-up card giving them permission to pick-up on your behalf.
That might take a while - me being in QLD and them being in Ice Station Zebra (NSW).

I did have a Justice of the Peace sign an authorisation letter that included copies of my passport and their DL for the purposes of accepting any parcels or letters sent to me at that address.

Do I stand a chance that this will suffice?
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That might take a while - me being in QLD and them being in Ice Station Zebra (NSW).

I did have a Justice of the Peace sign an authorisation letter that included copies of my passport and their DL for the purposes of accepting any parcels or letters sent to me at that address.

Do I stand a chance that this will suffice?
Depends on who delivers it tbh. One may stick it in the post box regardless of it saying it needs signing for and someone else may leave a card. Someone else may not even walk up the path to see if anyone's in before leaving a card saying no one was in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.