Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Passports when in Australia

British Passports when in Australia

Old Oct 19th 2015, 2:35 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passports when in Australia

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Yes a JP is fine, just remember to take old passport, driving licence etc etc so they know you are you.
Thanks. Do I need to ask them for their passport copy too?
Old Oct 26th 2015, 9:57 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

How have the processing times been of late? Any faster or slower then the "about 4 weeks" they mention on their site?
Old Dec 31st 2015, 12:34 am

When I read that Australia Post can do UK passport photos I decided to give them a try. Yeah, they took the picture and printed out the passport photos... but didn't cut them! Bloody useless...

So now I need to find a proper photography place and pay/ask them to use their punch machine...
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
When I read that Australia Post can do UK passport photos I decided to give them a try. Yeah, they took the picture and printed out the passport photos... but didn't cut them! Bloody useless...

So now I need to find a proper photography place and pay/ask them to use their punch machine...
I did my sons by taking a photo with my phone and printing it at Officeworks and cutting it with a pair of scissors to the exact dims. Accepted no problem.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 7:09 am

Thanks. I went to a photographers and he was kind enough to use his photo cutter to punch out the photos.

About the countersignatory on the application (the person signing the photos), I don't have anyone locally who knows us for 2+ years as we've only been here 11 months. If a teacher that knew our daughter for several months (she's her head teacher) signs will that be ok?
Old Jan 5th 2016, 11:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I went to a photographers and he was kind enough to use his photo cutter to punch out the photos.

About the countersignatory on the application (the person signing the photos), I don't have anyone locally who knows us for 2+ years as we've only been here 11 months. If a teacher that knew our daughter for several months (she's her head teacher) signs will that be ok?
Yep, or go to a JP - most shopping centres have one who does a few hours a week. They can sign to say that they are verifying the identity from the ID provided, even if they don't know you.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, or go to a JP - most shopping centres have one who does a few hours a week. They can sign to say that they are verifying the identity from the ID provided, even if they don't know you.
I used to get a JP that I've known for years sign the photos, but can I just get any JP nowadays? They won't mind that the person hasn't known me for a single day? I'm surprised that a teacher isn't the best choice for a child, especially since that person is probably the most qualified of all to know who the kid is.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 12:53 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get a JP that I've known for years sign the photos, but can I just get any JP nowadays? They won't mind that the person hasn't known me for a single day? I'm surprised that a teacher isn't the best choice for a child, especially since that person is probably the most qualified of all to know who the kid is.
JAJ always used to advise that a JP can sign because they are just stating that the person who has the ID and is standing in front of them, is the person described by the ID, if you see what I mean. The JP isn't stating that they know you, just that the ID is valid etc. Its the way that many people have to do it when they don't know anyone for long enough.

Having said that, if the teacher is willing to state that they have known the child for long enough, go with that
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

How old is the applicant? If it's a child under 11 years old then their photos must be countersigned but the person countersigning doesn't need to have known them for at least two years. They should however have known the parent for at least two years.

More information at https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications
Old Jan 6th 2016, 1:19 am

Applicant is 5 and we don't know a single person here longer than we've been here (11 mths).

I asked about this way back, and I still see that this hasn't changed (about the countersignatory): "...you must include with your application a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it."

Don't think I'll have much luck convincing people to hand over a copy of their passport...
Old Jan 6th 2016, 2:17 am
Home and Happy

Applicant is 5 and we don't know a single person here longer than we've been here (11 mths).

I asked about this way back, and I still see that this hasn't changed (about the countersignatory): "...you must include with your application a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it."

Don't think I'll have much luck convincing people to hand over a copy of their passport...
Have you consulted a JP at all?
Old Jan 6th 2016, 7:20 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You may need to post the photos and form to someone who qualifies to be countersigned by them. They don't need to provide a copy of their passport if they hold a British or Irish passport.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have you consulted a JP at all?
Not yet. I figured I need to know exactly what is needed from the UK side before I go to someone here to get stuff signed/certified.

I have a GP I know in Sydney so maybe they will be willing to chuck in their passport copy and post it for me...
Old Jan 8th 2016, 8:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not yet. I figured I need to know exactly what is needed from the UK side before I go to someone here to get stuff signed/certified.

I have a GP I know in Sydney so maybe they will be willing to chuck in their passport copy and post it for me...
I've used different JPs for different passports. None of them know us. No issue whatsoever.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I've used different JPs for different passports. None of them know us. No issue whatsoever.
I'd use a local one, in fact you can find them in some of the malls offering their services, but I'm not sure how they'd react if I ask them, "can I also have a copy of YOUR passport?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.