Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Passports when in Australia

British Passports when in Australia

Old Nov 24th 2014, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Lucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passports when in Australia

Originally Posted by Amazulu
UK passport website is stating a 6 week turnaround. Is this realistic or is shorter? Longer? At the moment

If longer I'll just travel on the Aussie
Well I can tell you that my wife just received her new passport two and a half weeks after posting it from Melbourne.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Beermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really nice

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Guys

Just realised my OH's UK passport is out of date. She has an Aussie one too.
In August she will be travelling to Switzerland and UK before coming back here.

1) Now firstly if I have researched correctly, she can enter Switzerland and UK easy enough with her Aussie one - no Visas etc?

2) Secondly due to the chaos with UK renewals, she could go to the consulate in Perth and have her UK one extended by 12 months.

Normally she would use UK one in Europe and quicker queues.

Cheers
When I had to travel back to the UK for my fathers funeral, my UK passport had recently expired, but I was travelling on my AU passport. Whilst in the UK, I arranged to renew my UK passport using the Premium service. Basically you make an appointment with a nominated Passport Office, turn up with the completed application form, old passport and 128 quid and your new passport will be ready for pickup in 4 hours. OK a fair bit more expensive, and you may need to travel and hang around for 4 hours, but at leat you get the thing in your hand quick
Old Jan 20th 2015, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beermonster
When I had to travel back to the UK for my fathers funeral, my UK passport had recently expired, but I was travelling on my AU passport. Whilst in the UK, I arranged to renew my UK passport using the Premium service. Basically you make an appointment with a nominated Passport Office, turn up with the completed application form, old passport and 128 quid and your new passport will be ready for pickup in 4 hours. OK a fair bit more expensive, and you may need to travel and hang around for 4 hours, but at leat you get the thing in your hand quick
Brilliant Beermonster. I have been following this thread and the news online about the disaster that renewing a Brit passport has become and now that I am an Australian Citizen and passport holder I had just about decided to let my Brit Passport lapse as I couldn't be faffed. However, I am back in UK in 6 weeks for a holiday and will renew it using this Premium service. I read about it on their website and was wondering whether to give it a go.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

ethan2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renewing UK passport

anyone ever used a prepaid Visa credit card online to pay for their UK passport renewal?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Passport Renewal Times

I noticed the other day when getting my documents together for PR that my passport expires in October, I've just sent it off to the UK by recorded post, they said it will take 1-2 weeks to get there. The website then says it takes upto 6 weeks to process so I'm assuming a further 1-2 weeks to come to me, at worst case 10 weeks but from experience what am I looking at realistically?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal Times

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
I noticed the other day when getting my documents together for PR that my passport expires in October, I've just sent it off to the UK by recorded post, they said it will take 1-2 weeks to get there. The website then says it takes upto 6 weeks to process so I'm assuming a further 1-2 weeks to come to me, at worst case 10 weeks but from experience what am I looking at realistically?

Ours took about 4 months, I would say that is absolute worst case scenario. Even with that you would be fine for October. The reason ours took so long was because they insisted mine was a forgery. It certainly was not, but that was the reason but even with that I have to admit the lady handling the case kept in constant email contact. Just required another shipload of paperwork to keep them happy including stuff from my parents parents etc, Crazy, I am sure most people would not even have that stuff!!

I am sure they usually take nothing like that timeframe anyway.

After that episode I renewed the Australian one 6 months before expiry and it came back in 2 weeks.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

So 3 weeks to the day from posting my form and old passport to the UK (from Brisbane) I received my new passport today. Pretty good turnaround and much better than I expected.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

shaozzy has a spectacular aura aboutshaozzy has a spectacular aura aboutshaozzy has a spectacular aura about

Just letting people know that I sent my passport on 17th June and received it yesterday!!! Amazing! � ����� ����
Old Jul 5th 2015, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

That's good Shaozzy.

I renewed mine at the London Passport Office whilst in UK in March. I had to be in London for business that day, so waiting around for 4 hours was not a problem. All went well and they had a very good system going that passed everyone on effciently. It took 5 minutes to lodge the application and have paperwork checked, then go up to the accounts office and pay. All up I was in the building less than 25 minutes and they sent me a text when the passport was ready to collect. Took them less than 4 hours to process. Was worth the extra fee to have it dealt with asap.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 12:45 am
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied for and sent a renewal of my passport on 30th July from Melbourne and got passport back on 11th August, 13 days later, Amazing!
Old Aug 12th 2015, 9:46 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

How picky are they with passport photos and all the dimension requirements mentioned in the guidelines? Are they super-strict with applications being rejected due to minuscule discrepancies or does everything flow, especially when it comes to kids' photos?
Old Aug 13th 2015, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by astera
How picky are they with passport photos and all the dimension requirements mentioned in the guidelines? Are they super-strict with applications being rejected due to minuscule discrepancies or does everything flow, especially when it comes to kids' photos?
Extremely picky I found. I renewed my Australian passport around the same time so used photos I had from that for my Brit passport. They wouldn't accept the photo as they were "not taken in UK" even though they filled all the criteria. Go figure! Tried explaining that the Australian government had accepted the same photo and even showed my Australian passport, but the "Jobsworth" behind the counter insisted they were not acceptable. Fortunately there was a photo booth in the lobby and five minutes later I had new photos.
There was a queue for the photo booth, so guessing my situation wasn't unique.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 6:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Briar
Extremely picky I found. I renewed my Australian passport around the same time so used photos I had from that for my Brit passport. They wouldn't accept the photo as they were "not taken in UK" even though they filled all the criteria. Go figure! Tried explaining that the Australian government had accepted the same photo and even showed my Australian passport, but the "Jobsworth" behind the counter insisted they were not acceptable. Fortunately there was a photo booth in the lobby and five minutes later I had new photos.
When I got my Aussie one, I was renewing the Uk one at the same time, and they tried to tell me it was illegal to have the same photo on my UK one as one my Aussie one!
Old Aug 13th 2015, 10:21 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Briar
Hmmm, seems like someone there has an interest in directing people to the photo booth.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
When I got my Aussie one, I was renewing the Uk one at the same time, and they tried to tell me it was illegal to have the same photo on my UK one as one my Aussie one!
Whoa, what a load of nonsense. Sometimes it's amazing how people with no clue about something can give the most idiotic advice or make up such incredulous, non-existent rules.

Does the UK still require a copy of every single page of the Aussie passport (or any other passports held) to be submitted with the UK passport application?
Old Aug 13th 2015, 11:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless it's changed, both countries have different criteria for the photos so one won't work for the other. Same the world over, the 'rules' some countries have are bizarre. Not sure how they can argue about the photo being taken from outside the country. That makes no sense. They presumably don't expect all expats to fly 'home' to have their picture taken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.