Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Passports when in Australia

British Passports when in Australia

Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default British Passports when in Australia

If you need to renew or apply for a new British passport, you can have your application reviewed at a participating Australia Post retail outlet.

http://auspost.com.au/passports-id/b...passports.html

This is the link to the UK-based information

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:41 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passports when in Australia

Lots of general questions about passports and proof of ID are addressed in the previous thread here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7580833

but please check that the info is still current before acting on it. The link to the thread is for general guidance only.

To answer some of the common questions:

- Australia Post can do UK-sized Passport photos
- if you are living in Aus you must apply here, UNLESS you are going back to the UK on holiday, have an address there you can use, and have enough time to sort the renewal over there,
- If you need a photo etc counter-signed and have not known anyone in Aus long enough then you can go to a JP, they will sign to the effect that they don't know you but are happy to verify your identity.
- If you have a visa label in your old passport it will not be transferred to the new one, but you can carry both passports and show the existing visa label - it is still valid. If you want a new label (not essential) then you need to go to a DIAC office, and there is now a charge for it.

Irish passport? Here's the link for a new one of those while in Aus
http://www.embassyofireland.au.com/h....aspx?id=81799
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Is there an online tracking service? I know the forms got delivered by Auspost but the tracking facility on the uk gov website seems to be just an email address or premium phone line and aimed at UK based applications.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:50 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Safin
Is there an online tracking service? I know the forms got delivered by Auspost but the tracking facility on the uk gov website seems to be just an email address or premium phone line and aimed at UK based applications.
Not sure - I'm not aware of one, and there wasn't when I did mine a year or so back. As far as I know its only the Aus Post system
Old Jul 13th 2013, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
- If you need a photo etc counter-signed and have not known anyone in Aus long enough then you can go to a JP, they will sign to the effect that they don't know you but are happy to verify your identity.
You can also go to your bank (not even your own branch) and prove who you are by your bank cards etc and they will countersign for free.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport renewal

Just wondering if anyone is aware of how long it takes to get British Passport renewed in Australia?
Applied for an overseas job & need passport back asap, as looks like I'm in with a shout for the job & they will want me to start this month. Also what happens with the visa in the old passport, do they transfer it over or would I have to pay to get another one put in there?
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:20 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport renewal

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Just wondering if anyone is aware of how long it takes to get British Passport renewed in Australia?
Applied for an overseas job & need passport back asap, as looks like I'm in with a shout for the job & they will want me to start this month. Also what happens with the visa in the old passport, do they transfer it over or would I have to pay to get another one put in there?
Sorry, don't know how long the new passport takes, but you use form 929 to notify DIAC of the change - http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa...ies/change.htm
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Sorry, don't know how long the new passport takes, but you use form 929 to notify DIAC of the change - http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa...ies/change.htm
No changes, just had an expired passport.
Says on website up to 6 weeks, I really can't wait that long, will get passed over for the job as would be starting within 2 weeks.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:28 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

No changes, just had an expired passport.
Says on website up to 6 weeks, I really can't wait that long, will get passed over for the job as would be starting within 2 weeks.
Yeah I understood - Form 929 is for
Change of address and/or passport details
Old Sep 14th 2013, 7:17 pm
Home and Happy

Mine took about 3 weeks but thats a good 2 years ago. Reports on here suggest the timing has usually been pretty close to what is quoted, but the system has changed a fair bit lately.
Have a look here for current info.

You don't have to get a sticker in the new passport, you can just carry both passports. If you want a new sticker it now costs $70 over the counter at a DIAC office.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

oldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really nice

Just done two of ours - OH and my son.
From having the applications checked at the post office here in Darwin, to receiving 2 new ones direct from the UK - 13 days.
A bit surprised to say the least, took twice as long to get them renewed when we were in the UK!
Old Sep 17th 2013, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by oldandbold
Just done two of ours - OH and my son.
From having the applications checked at the post office here in Darwin, to receiving 2 new ones direct from the UK - 13 days.
A bit surprised to say the least, took twice as long to get them renewed when we were in the UK!
As far as I know they do them at the British Consulate in Canberra? Hope it's 2 weeks for me also, as need it by the end of the month at the latest!
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know they do them at the British Consulate in Canberra? Hope it's 2 weeks for me also, as need it by the end of the month at the latest!
All UK passport applications now end up in the UK for the passport to be issued. You apply via an appointment at certain post offices in Australia, and it gets sent off for processing.

It was announced a couple of years ago that all UK passport applications will be dealt with in the UK, and this has either now been achieved or is on the way. It seems quite expensive from Australia too, an adult renewal has the following costs depending on country of application:

UK - £72.50
USA/Canada - £128.00 (application to be sent direct to Durham in the UK)
Australia - AU$282.21 (approx. £170)

New Zealand is similarly expensive at NZ$337.69 (approx. £180)
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:00 pm
Home and Happy

Canberra stopped a good while ago. They were done in New Zealand for 3 years or so, and now in the UK.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Canberra stopped a good while ago. They were done in New Zealand for 3 years or so, and now in the UK.
I was informed that my application was not being dealt with in the UK & I tracked it as being delivered to Canberra.
So I'm assuming it's at the British consulate & I'll have to spend $3.52 per minute to discuss my application with them on their premium rate number. So premium added to passport application then a premium rate to speak to anyone about it.
To add insult to injury I need it for 2 months, then I'll not be using it much as will get a nice new shiny Aussie passport as will be up for Citizenship then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.