Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Passport Renewal

British Passport Renewal

Old Mar 16th 2022, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passport Renewal

Originally Posted by rammygirl
just renewed mine on line it was really easy, nothing to send to UK apart from old passport and photocopy of my Australian one. No original documents. Mine had lapsed for a few months. Took picture on phone all very easy. Just wondering why she needed to send any original documents as it said not to and just send colour copies.
Posted a couple of weeks ago but still not arrived in UK. you will be fine to enter UK on Australian passports anyway.
I am not sure of the details to be honest. She was taking charge. We will just try and get them all renewed in the UK. I think one of the challenges may have been that one of our kids only has an Aussie passport so for British Citizenship and passport there were challenges with our birth certificates, sending them off, etc.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Hope everything works out okay our eldest had to renew both his Australian passport (cost a fortune lol) and also his British passport at roughly the same time (Jan 22) his Aussie one had “run out” his British one only had a couple of weeks left both arrived within days of each other his British passport is one of the new UK ones….the old colour (before Europe) and no European Union on it…looks very swanky lol hence maybe the delay for your wife’s new one…..hope you both have a lovely time on this side of the globe.
Thanks. It's going to be fun getting on an aeroplane again. It been a long time.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ironbruu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks also in the process of renewing mine. Shocked to learn you have to send off your Canadian passports? wtf?! Anyone sent off their Canadian passports aswell as there unexpired British one?

Old Mar 17th 2022, 4:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ironbruu
Hi Folks also in the process of renewing mine. Shocked to learn you have to send off your Canadian passports? wtf?! Anyone sent off their Canadian passports aswell as there unexpired British one?
They don't know you have a Canadian passport. If you forget to send it they will be none the wiser.
Old Mar 17th 2022, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

we have just sent a photo copy of our Canadian passports. It has to be in colour copy as per the UK passport website.
Old Mar 17th 2022, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Has that changed recently? I renewed mine last year from Canada - sent off colour copies of the relevant pages of my Canadian one - although I’m not sure they’ll know if not. Possibly you have to declare if you have another passport and I wouldn’t have thought it appropriate to lie in such a situation.
Old Mar 18th 2022, 3:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Has that changed recently? I renewed mine last year from Canada - sent off colour copies of the relevant pages of my Canadian one ....
Nah, it's said "send original non-UK passports" for many years, but I have rarely heard of anyone who sends anything other than a copy.

My most recent experience 4-5 years ago was a little different though. I completed the application form, including acknowledging that I have a US passport, put everything in the envelope and set it aside until I had copied my US passport. A couple of months later I picked up the envelope, took a quick look inside, sealed the envelope and sent it off, completely forgetting that I hadn't included a copy of my US passport. My new British passport was in my hand less than two weeks later without so much as a question about my US passport, or copy thereof.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 18th 2022 at 3:23 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2022, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC when I renewed in 2019 I told them I had an Australian one, gave them the number but told them I needed it to travel so sent neither it nor a copy.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Fenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: British Passport Renewal

Originally Posted by Fenella
If anyone has recently renewed their British passport, can you tell me how long, after receiving the new passport, did it take for the old passport to be returned.

Thanks in advance for any info.
And, just for info: The old passports arrived 2 weeks after the new ones. We're ready to travel again
Old Mar 28th 2022, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

felixtae is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I sent mine 6 weeks ago and it arrived and was signed for 5 weeks ago. The online status still say Send your documents. I called the passport office 3 times about it, and was advised to:

1. Wait for update as they are very busy right now.
2. File for a lost passport as it might not have delivered correctly to the passport office.
3. They are not updating the status from the back office.

What would be the best thing to do for now?
Old Mar 28th 2022, 9:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by felixtae
Hi, I sent mine 6 weeks ago and it arrived and was signed for 5 weeks ago. The online status still say Send your documents. I called the passport office 3 times about it, and was advised to:

1. Wait for update as they are very busy right now.
2. File for a lost passport as it might not have delivered correctly to the passport office.
3. They are not updating the status from the back office.

What would be the best thing to do for now?
Nothing for now. The average wait is currently five weeks so you can expect an update this week.
Old Mar 30th 2022, 11:40 am
Just Joined

felixtae is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Nothing for now. The average wait is currently five weeks so you can expect an update this week.
It takes 5 weeks after they received it to update on the system ? How long it would take to issue the actual passport?
Old Mar 30th 2022, 4:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by felixtae
It takes 5 weeks after they received it to update on the system ? How long it would take to issue the actual passport?
Five weeks to issue the passport. Your application is just in a queue waiting for a passport examiner to get to it. The actual processing time can be measured in minutes.
Old Mar 30th 2022, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

They are very slow at the moment. Once it is on the desk of somebody the processing and delivery takes about a week. Wait for the first status update.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

4 of us entered the UK this week on Australian passports despite 3 of us being British citizens with expired British Passports. No issues. Of course we were asked how long we were staying, but all good. Just in case anyone needs to travel to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.