Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Passport Expires Today

British Passport Expires Today

Old Jan 5th 2010, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default British Passport Expires Today

I have an Australian one.
Would you renew your British one ?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: British Passport Expires Today

Only if I was planning to travel in Europe
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
Yes. Never know when it could come in handy
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:17 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to renew mine when I go back later in the year...

S
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely. You never know when you might need it.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Depends on how strongly you intend to try and remove your British domicile status. Although Australia has no capital transfer tax that is not the case for British domiciles, no matter where in the world they live. End result is that your estate in Australia is still subject to UK inheritance tax and the treasury will want their cut. Not so if you denounce that domicile and adopt that of your chosen country. Very hard to do and holding a UK passport will certainly not help that case. To do so you must have NO connection or interest with the UK system. (excluding banking). A recent high court case was up held as a UK expat still had a gym and golf membership (he was a life member) so it remained that he had an interest in the UK. He hadn't set foot on UK soil for over 20 years.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:16 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't. I prefer to be on my Australian passport in the event of a disaster, civil unrest, terrorism incident or trouble with local officials overseas. Circumstances may change in the future at which point I may apply for it again until then I will not bother.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
Depends on how strongly you intend to try and remove your British domicile status. Although Australia has no capital transfer tax that is not the case for British domiciles, no matter where in the world they live. End result is that your estate in Australia is still subject to UK inheritance tax and the treasury will want their cut. Not so if you denounce that domicile and adopt that of your chosen country. Very hard to do and holding a UK passport will certainly not help that case. To do so you must have NO connection or interest with the UK system. (excluding banking). A recent high court case was up held as a UK expat still had a gym and golf membership (he was a life member) so it remained that he had an interest in the UK. He hadn't set foot on UK soil for over 20 years.
That's got nothing to do with having both a UK and an Australian passports You can't denounce being British and just because you don't have a British passport doesn't stop you being British.

Whilst I don't like the expense of needing 8 passports for four people, I feel far more comfortable holding passports for both countries. You never know when you may need one over the other.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

If you are planning to travel then I say definitely renew it. My dealings with British consular officials around the world have been far more favourable than those with Australian officials! If I were in real trouble abroad I would go to the British for help over the Aussies.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Anyone know how much it is ?

Also, is it easy enough to apply for from here ?

Perfectly happy travelling on an Australian passport-when we had to go back to the UK earlier this year we travelled on our Australian one all the way and back !
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
That's got nothing to do with having both a UK and an Australian passports You can't denounce being British and just because you don't have a British passport doesn't stop you being British.

Whilst I don't like the expense of needing 8 passports for four people, I feel far more comfortable holding passports for both countries. You never know when you may need one over the other.

Actually you can denounce your domicile of origin, which in most of our cases here will be UK. You can only legally hold one domicile at any one time and given the choice I'd be aiming for an Aussie one as that doesn't come with capital transfer tax. Unlike a UK one which does have such a tax. If you are still deemed domicile of the UK then all your assets, no matter where in the world they are situated, are subject to UK inheritance taxation.
Just by living in another country and being resident / citizen for income taxation purposes does not automatically give you domicile of choice in that country. You must take significant action to adopt that new domicile of choice. Maintaining a UK passport is a very big Achilles heel ot in terms of UK taxation and domicile.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Hi Melaniee,

My short answer is no I wouldn't as I'm financially planning for the future.

However, should one day I wish to get one then I can, as I am British by birth and I allows will be. I am entitled to a passport no matter how expired the old one becomes.

But I do intend to separate my birth rights from my tax status.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Melaniee,

Actually I've just renewed my UK passport today. The only reason that I did this is because I intend taking an extended vacation in UK and Europe ( please don't tell me that UK is in Europe ).

If you're not planning to spend time in Europe or return to UK in the near future, why go to the trouble and expense ?

If you decide to go ahead, my UK passport renewal cost A$293 and I'm advised that the processing time should be three weeks.

Last edited by Hino; Jan 5th 2010 at 7:56 am. Reason: speeling
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
I can detect some scaremongering here ...

Reality is that if your assets are in Australia and your will is in Australia, in practical terms you have no domicile remaining in Britain and more to that, the Inland Revenue will not even know about your estate. On the other hand, assets remaining in Britain always remain subject to Inheritance Tax.

(on top of that, even in Britain, 95% of estates are too small to pay any inheritance tax)
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Nealry $300 !!! Wow ! Maybe I won't bother just yet.............. !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.