Reload this Page >

British Motorcycle Helmet

British Motorcycle Helmet

Old May 16th 2008, 4:42 pm
Somewhere in Oz

sla453 will become famous soon enough
Default British Motorcycle Helmet

Hi All,

Anybody know if I can use my british approved motorcyle helmet in Australia?

Thanks..

Last edited by sla453; May 16th 2008 at 4:43 pm. Reason: Poor spelling!!
Old May 16th 2008, 7:36 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Motorcycle Helmet

Nobody is going to stop you using it. I've been using mine.
Old May 16th 2008, 8:04 pm
Somewhere in Oz

sla453 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Centurion
But if it's the same red tape as UK child car seats + accident = no insurance..?? Just wondered.
Old May 16th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I think legally it needs to have an Oz safety stamp...like approval the that it has to have in the UK/Europe. I'm sure that this has been posted on here before.

Would you get done if you got stopped....who knows.

Only thing that I could see is that you had an accident and were not wearing an approved lid, could the insurance company find out and limit the claim?

I know lids are expensive, but may be not worth the risk of getting done or effecting insurance.
Old May 16th 2008, 8:17 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

If you write to the manufacturer they may send you the relevant sticker
Old May 16th 2008, 10:50 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Unless your helmet has an Austalian safety standards sticker on the back then it is illegal...

Being illegal doesnt make it unsafe of course - but in the event of a crash it means your insurance company will wash their hands of you...

Its simply not worth it - get a new one locally.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:04 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

The stats don't make good reading here

MOTORCYCLISTS are 23 times more likely to die in road accidents than car drivers, and 41 more times more likely than car occupants to be seriously injured. Bikes only four per cent of registered vehicles but 21 per cent of the road toll.
Old May 17th 2008, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

As previously stated, it's illegal. However, I would bet a BS helmet is at very least, comparable to the Aus Standard AS1698 and I have yet to hear a story of a copper picking up on those who choose to wear overseas lids. If it doesn't have a sticker on the outside or a sewn in label on the inside (I believe all manufacturers put the sticker on the outside anyway), then it is deemed illegal.

A traffic cop in a patrol car would probably not notice an absent sticker but apparently, bike cops make a point of checking.

The obvious issue arises when your insurance company inspect your gear following an accident.

If you can afford to dispense with 30 helmets of the identical make and model to yours, Aus Standards will perform their usual list of destructive tests in order to issue a AS sticker.

It's all a bit bloody stupid really as I'm betting UK standards exceed most other countries and you could have two identical helmets, bought direct from the manufacturer, from the same batch and the one that ends up in UK will not be valid if taken to Aus! Unfortunately, bureaucracy beats common sense.

Incidentally, the visor should also have it's own relevant AS sticker.

I was considering purchasing one with a 'Welsh Flag' design but after a little research, I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle. I can image the annoyance if you already have a favourite lid that you can't use.

Old May 17th 2008, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Gutted :curse: I have a brand new HJC lid

Thanks though for the advice
Old May 17th 2008, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by datamile

MOTORCYCLISTS are 23 times more likely to die in road accidents than car drivers, and 41 more times more likely than car occupants to be seriously injured. Bikes only four per cent of registered vehicles but 21 per cent of the road toll.

And do you have the stats for 'at fault' in these accidents? I know it doesnt help the deceased or their loved ones but I bet most werent the bikers fault.Just thought i'd jump in before the thread turned into a 'lunatic speed freak drag race child murdering motorcyclist drug crazed psycho' thread.I'll get down now, cheers!
Old May 17th 2008, 9:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sla453
Hi All,

Anybody know if I can use my british approved motorcyle helmet in Australia?

Thanks..
Funny enough, I asked this question today when at the cycle shop. The guy who's going to be giving me my lessons said I can certainly wear my Canadian one, but it's illegal here. If i get stopped I'll likely be given a ticket for not wearing an approved helmet, which is the same penalty as not wearing one at all.
Old May 17th 2008, 10:01 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I was pulled over and they actually checked the helmet for the Aus sticker. If it doesn't have one then it's treated like you have no helmet on at all ie fine and points.

Originally Posted by Centurion
Old May 17th 2008, 10:06 am
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: British Motorcycle Helmet

:curse:
Originally Posted by datamile

Dont see how that is relevent to the question, nice to see that motorcycle doom-mungers are alive and well in australia,not!
More bikes on the road=less congestion,polution etc.
As for more likely to come off worse in an accident, I bet if a car ran into a pedestrian the car would come off best.
Rant over, Le Mans G.p. on tomorrow gmt 12.30
Old May 17th 2008, 10:10 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of idiots on bikes you push the death stats up.

Originally Posted by jasonlec
:curse:
Dont see how that is relevent to the question, nice to see that motorcycle doom-mungers are alive and well in australia,not!
More bikes on the road=less congestion,polution etc.
As for more likely to come off worse in an accident, I bet if a car ran into a pedestrian the car would come off best.
Rant over, Le Mans G.p. on tomorrow gmt 12.30
Old May 17th 2008, 10:11 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

I have two AGV Ti-tech Rossi rep helmets and have no intention of running to the local bike shop and replacing them with the same helmet with an Aussie sticker on it. As for the insurance company, I would deal with that in the event of a claim, there are other threads on here where riders have made a claim with a european or UK helmet and after a letter from the maker stating the standards of manufacture they have been reimbursed. The helmets are not manufactured differently for each country, simply put through different tests, the UK testing being the most stringent. UK helmets are allowed on the race tracks (Eastern Creek and Philip Island) as I've already made enquries and given that most racers from countries oversees ship their own equipment with them for the track it would be lunacy to ask each racer to only wear a helmet or other clothing manufactured in Australia ~ they simply would stop bringing the circus to town given the costs of equipment. Don't fall foul of the nanny state - there is enough of that in the UK. My helmet will save my head in the event of a crash ~ I trust the testing it has gone through and no cop biker or otherwise is going to make me change it for a "sticker". I'll see them in court first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.