Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The British illegal immigrants

The British illegal immigrants

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:26 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default The British illegal immigrants

British backpackers make up the largest nationality of illegal workers in Australia.
...figures from the Australian Immigration department reveal UK citizens are propping up their labour underworld. Among a total of 51,000 people who had overstayed their visas at June 2004, 5,500 were from the UK.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4226949.stm

Have you overstayed your visa?
I've known people that have done it here, a couple of friends left us last month heading to the top end looking for work. Neither has a working visa, having used them up years before. Doesn't seem that much of a risk if some of the stories are to be believed.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:46 am
wombat42

Default Re: The British illegal immigrants

Originally Posted by JulesandChris

I've known people that have done it here, a couple of friends left us last month heading to the top end looking for work. Neither has a working visa, having used them up years before. Doesn't seem that much of a risk if some of the stories are to be believed.
Soon there will be British boat people washing up on the shores of Northern OZ.

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Read that story as well then
Doesn't seem a problem over there....get an overstay in the states and you'll be in real trouble...pain in the arse really
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:20 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a response to that BBC story from lower down the page:

"Speaking as a legal permanent resident of almost 2 years. I find it incredible that anyone would want to live here illegally. The cost of living is so high and the earnings so low - I can't imagine actually seeking to scrape a living on cash jobs, whilst dodging the authorities. Or if they ever do decide to join the rat race, they will find 47% top rate tax a bit of a shock! 'It's life Jim, but not as we know it!" Come for a holiday, then go home ot civilisation!!

Richard Williams, Australia
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:22 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Here's a response to that BBC story from lower down the page:

"Speaking as a legal permanent resident of almost 2 years. I find it incredible that anyone would want to live here illegally. The cost of living is so high and the earnings so low - I can't imagine actually seeking to scrape a living on cash jobs, whilst dodging the authorities. Or if they ever do decide to join the rat race, they will find 47% top rate tax a bit of a shock! 'It's life Jim, but not as we know it!" Come for a holiday, then go home ot civilisation!!

Richard Williams, Australia
Always wondered when we'd find out PB's real name.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:34 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bob
Read that story as well then
Doesn't seem a problem over there....get an overstay in the states and you'll be in real trouble...pain in the arse really
One of those mates I mentioned did get deported from the states for having her visa expire when working there. Unceremoniously dumped at the airport and told not to come back. Curiously she just spent most of last year working across the US from E to W. Some people find the deception easy.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:38 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

That's it. I've had enough of these illegal British immigrants coming over here, getting jobs and not paying taxes and being given big houses and free TVs. I'm packing up and moving back to...errr...England...
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One of those mates I mentioned did get deported from the states for having her visa expire when working there. Unceremoniously dumped at the airport and told not to come back. Curiously she just spent most of last year working across the US from E to W. Some people find the deception easy.
she's lucky, should have gotten a 3 year ban if out of status for over 6 month, and 10 years if out of status for a year...
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:02 am
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

You get banned from Oz aswell if you get caught overstaying and working illegally. The ban used to be for 2 years but I don't know if its changed; The ban also stays on your perm reccord too!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

String them up. Its the only language these people understand.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

That's it. I've had enough of these illegal British immigrants coming over here, getting jobs and not paying taxes and being given big houses and free TVs. I'm packing up and moving back to...errr...England...
Too Bloody roight mate ship em back where they came from. Before we know it they'll have their own suburbs with marks and spencers and kebab shops popping up everywhere.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 5:02 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Too Bloody roight mate ship em back where they came from. Before we know it they'll have their own suburbs with marks and spencers and kebab shops popping up everywhere.

And they'll be sending their kids to our schools and expecting to get taught in their own language

"Good morning, how are you today. And what does your father do may I ask?" rather than good old "How ya goin'?"

Anyway how come they mange to travel all the way to Australia passing plenty of other countries on the way? If they had a real case then shouldn't they all have gone to France?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

And they'll be sending their kids to our schools and expecting to get taught in their own language

"Good morning, how are you today. And what does your father do may I ask?" rather than good old "How ya goin'?"

Anyway how come they mange to travel all the way to Australia passing plenty of other countries on the way? If they had a real case then shouldn't they all have gone to France?

Its the benefits mate, the frogs wouldnt have one stop centerlink shops, nor the germans, nor poland, jeez I could go on

Dont tell me about the language, our kids are now picking up please and thank youz and the mothers want reading and writing how they gonna do the sport mate?, I dont what its coming to. And you know what gets me? my lot are barefoot and these poms turn up in 20 quid trainers jeez there a flash bunch, now me kids want bloody shoes, its just not stralian mate

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:24 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

I over stayed my visa when i was one of the unwashed/underpaid !! Although to be fair the company i was working for at the time tried to sponsor me, but after 6 months or so it was turned down, i was given a letter to show at customs and then told i had 72 hours (i think) to leave the country. I put the letter in a really safe place, so safe infact that when i turned up at the airport i couldn't find the chuffing thing - the no neck, chinless wonder behind the booth ushered me to me an office where i waited - dispite my pleas of being legit - had to wait for 10-15 minutes until his boss turned up with some official looking piece of paper, moments later i was sent toward my flight with a smile and a appology. Never did find what i did my letter.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, it's easy.