Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British High Interest Bank Account

British High Interest Bank Account

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:23 am
ABCDiamond

Default British High Interest Bank Account

Just received my HSBC UK bank statement in the post. I haven't taken much notice of the interest rate changes... but, this is a HIGH Interest account, and the current rate is 0.5%.

How much do the normal accounts pay ?

The statement also says the rate for overdraft is 19.9%........... wow, that is some margin.

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British High Interest Bank Account

Enjoy...my Clydesdale Bank account has a hefty 0% interest rate...although it is a bog standard Current Account. The Savings account offers 0.75% gross, around 0.6% nett.
The exchange rate just now makes up for the lack of interest I am getting at the other end.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:34 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

That matches the BoE rate. HSBC has never been known for high rates. Maybe there is an Icelandic bank about.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Just received my HSBC UK bank statement in the post. I haven't taken much notice of the interest rate changes... but, this is a HIGH Interest account, and the current rate is 0.5%.

How much do the normal accounts pay ?

The statement also says the rate for overdraft is 19.9%........... wow, that is some margin.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:26 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

British High Interest Bank Account - the ultimate oxymoron, a bit like:

Bob Hope Special
Military Intelligence
Australian Comedy
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

switch to halifax

instant access @ 2.6% and then open a current account which you transfer at least £1000.00 into every month

get paid £5 for doing that every month and then you get 2.8%

not brilliant compared to oz but not bad considering
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:34 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

When you consider it is five times of the central bank rate it is amazing.
Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
switch to halifax

instant access @ 2.6% and then open a current account which you transfer at least £1000.00 into every month

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 12:50 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
switch to halifax

Eligibility: UK resident

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:01 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just went to my Halifax international to see what they were offering new customers, to discover they are now only offering lloydstsb stuff. Forgot to tell us customers that things had changed! they are rubbish at customer service! I do get 3% on my savings, but that stops in December and not sure what rate I will get then. However instant access available and no issues with offshore resident.
Also have a fixed interest at 3% with HSBC, but money tied up for a year. Can access with 3 months notice but need to close account then. They don't care where you live!

http://www.lloydstsb-offshore.com/of...xoffshore_ibsa
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

We've got an AA one - it was the highest interest rate at the time of about 2.9% AFAIR, its just a standard deposit account, not a regular savings one and allows a fairly high balance.

Worth a look here - http://www.moneysupermarket.com/savings/

Last edited by freebo; Oct 22nd 2010 at 11:11 pm.