Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Graduate Moving to Australia (Big Fish in Small Pond)?

British Graduate Moving to Australia (Big Fish in Small Pond)?

Old Sep 15th 2014, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Graduate Moving to Australia (Big Fish in Small Pond)?

Originally Posted by northlondoner
Hello all,

I am graduating from the University of Manchester this academic year with a degree in economics and I'm aiming for graudate roles in the financial sector.

Given that my university is on par in terms of prestige with the best universities in Australia (Melbourne and ANU), does this mean that I will have an easier time landing a graduate role in Australia as opposed to landing one in England, where people from better universities than mine (Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE, UCL etc) will be competing with me? For those who don't know, graduate schemes in the big financial firms usually attach greater importance not to the content of the degree itself, but to the reputation of the university (quite snobbish if you ask me, but it is what it is).

Of course I understand that landing a graduate role also comes down to personal character etc.

It seems there are two options:

Option A) Stay in England and compete with graduates from universities a lot better than mine for graduate roles.

Option B) Move to Australia where their top university is on par with mine in terms of prestige from employers' perspectives in the financial sector and apply for graduate roles.

It seems that taking option A would deem me a small fish in a big pond, and option B would deem me a big fish in a small pond and logic tells me that I would find it easier to land interviews in Australia and therefore easier to kickstart my career and get my foot in the door.

If anyone with any knowledge on this subject could give me honest and blunt advice, I would be highly grateful.

Thanks

Edit: Also as I understand, most people in Australia graduate without Honours unless they do a one year top-up degree, whereas I will graduate with honours - maybe this also puts me at an advantage?

To be quite honest the biggest factor in who gets the job is who you know.

Same anywhere really.

But as others have said you wont get any status for a UK university. Even if something is utter crap in Australia, Aussies will claim its 'world class' and the best anywhere.

One other thing that ranks highly is "Australian Experience", many a migrant has found even if its 5 years behind in that field, Australian experience is held in the highest regard.

I would imagine saying your UNI was better than a Australian one, would probably end the interview rather swiftly.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 4:59 am
Just Joined

LukeInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If you emigrate before you've obtained a solid professional background, you'll be competing for jobs with other inexperienced graduates. If you emigrate with a solid, professional background, you'll be competing for jobs with other people with solid, professional backgrounds.
I think this is exactly right. From what I understand, while having a solid education is important, Aussies put a much greater value on experience over where you studied.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

In most western countries, only about 25% of jobs are advertised
Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:58 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to answer your query but I do need further clarification.

Do you want to work with dolphins?
Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged. Don't see the need for two threads dealing with Man Uni.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:29 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Threads merged. Don't see the need for two threads dealing with Man Uni.
This wouldn't happen if he was talking about an Australian University!

Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
This wouldn't happen if he was talking about an Australian University!

We have Universities here??????
Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:32 am
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We have Universities here??????
Well, not ones that are any good. Obviously.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

northlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Your UK degree won't give you any advantage in Australia. If you emigrate before you've obtained a solid professional background, you'll be competing for jobs with other inexperienced graduates. If you emigrate with a solid, professional background, you'll be competing for jobs with other people with solid, professional backgrounds.

Either way, you'll be a little fishy amongst all the other little fishies.
Well either way I'll be a "little fishy" amongst other little fishies. Anyway, after consulting younger, more up-to-date graduates on an Australian student forum, they seem to agree that I will have relatively less competition in Australia - whoever said Manchester isn't recognised as a pretigious insitituion is clearly uninformed or willfuly ignorant.

I think most people here are just biased and have no clue about the recent grauduate job market due to being older - obviously the wrong place to ask such a question - my mistake
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Well, not ones that are any good. Obviously.
Hey! They have ANU and Mebourne - which are slightly below Manchester in the world rankings, but still solid institiutions.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot understand why you would want to come to Australia when you have London 2 hours away (train) and New York 3 hours (flight).

Australia is not that good.

Best of anyhoo!
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Well either way I'll be a "little fishy" amongst other little fishies. Anyway, after consulting younger, more up-to-date graduates on an Australian student forum, they seem to agree that I will have relatively less competition in Australia - whoever said Manchester isn't recognised as a pretigious insitituion is clearly uninformed or willfuly ignorant.

I think most people here are just biased and have no clue about the recent grauduate job market due to being older - obviously the wrong place to ask such a question - my mistake
With the utmost respect, you have absolutely no idea how old, how informed or how intelligent or ignorant people are on here. You simply don't like the answers you're getting.

I wish to god I was young and knew everything again. It's a bastard being old and dumb.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said several times on this thread already - Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard might impress the Australian employer. Manchester will not. I would think most UK employers would be pretty neutral on Manchester and you are deluded if you think that an Australian is going to get excited about it.

I expect the student forums you are on are full of people as lacking in knowledge and experience as you are. You have had replies on here from people that are knowledgeable in education, financial services, current job market and trends. But you have just resorted to insults because we are not agreeing that you will be the Big Fish you seem to think will be.

I am going to stick to my initial advice on this thread. That I think you would be at a disadvantage here versus an Australian graduate and that you are disadvantaging yourself by coming here as a new graduate versus staying in the UK. Not only is there going to be a preference for local candidates but also job markets are stronger in the UK at the moment. Several years of work experience in London financial services would strengthen most CVs, I recommend that.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You're hilarious

Come over any time. Bring your prestigious degree from your prestigious university, along with the chip on your shoulder and your distain for the knowledge and experience of people who have succeeded where you are yet to begin. Very marketable qualities.

But do spell check your job applications, or ask a better educated person to check them for basic spelling errors.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Not only is there going to be a preference for local candidates but also job markets are stronger in the UK at the moment. Several years of work experience in London financial services would strengthen most CVs, I recommend that.
I'm Australian, had Australian citizenship most of my life. There is preference for Australian candidates - you're saying if an Aussie goes abroad to study and comes back then they're at an immediate disadvantage?

Highly doubtful. Especially if they went to a well known British or American university. Just because you don't recognise anything outside of Oxbridge and Harvard doesn't mean graudate employers and HR departments don't - for financial firms, they are very in the know about worldwide target universities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.