Reload this Page >

British graduate geologist seeking work in Australia

British graduate geologist seeking work in Australia

Old Feb 3rd 2021, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Hammo3507 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British graduate geologist seeking work in Australia

Hi

Im a graduate geologist living in the UK, before Covid I had planned to graduate and move to Australia to look for work in the mining/exploration industry. I am in the process of obtaining citizenship by decent but obviously the immigration offices are working very slowly. Hopefully at some point this year the travel restrictions will begin to relax and I will be able to travel.

My main question is : Should I begin for applying for jobs even though I don’t currently have a planned travel date. I don’t want to waste peoples time but I would like to make myself known to Australian companies. To make the employment process as quick as possible when I am able to travel.

My second question is: Which companies would be best to contact as a graduate with no industry experience. I understand that there is a bit of a boom in Australia at the moment.

Any other help or advice from people in the mining industry will be much appreciated as I really have nobody to ask advice from.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 11:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British graduate geologist seeking work in Australia

Originally Posted by Hammo3507
Hi

Im a graduate geologist living in the UK, before Covid I had planned to graduate and move to Australia to look for work in the mining/exploration industry. I am in the process of obtaining citizenship by decent but obviously the immigration offices are working very slowly. Hopefully at some point this year the travel restrictions will begin to relax and I will be able to travel.

My main question is : Should I begin for applying for jobs even though I don’t currently have a planned travel date. I don’t want to waste peoples time but I would like to make myself known to Australian companies. To make the employment process as quick as possible when I am able to travel.

My second question is: Which companies would be best to contact as a graduate with no industry experience. I understand that there is a bit of a boom in Australia at the moment.

Any other help or advice from people in the mining industry will be much appreciated as I really have nobody to ask advice from.
Companies want you to be here before they will look at you. There are exceptions to this but that is generally the case

I work in mining in WA. The industry is very busy ATM and getting busier as more projects are starting up and others are ongoing. Iron ore production is at all time highs and gold is also going gangbuster's. Contact the big mining companies like BHP, Rio Tinto (and South 32), FMG, Roy Hill. Also the mining service companies like Downer and CSI. It's a good time to move here if you can

Good luck
Old Feb 8th 2021, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Hammo3507 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British graduate geologist seeking work in Australia

Thanks for being really helpful, I'll take a look at those companies. Didn't realise iron ore is booming I thought the construction industry might have taken a hit from covid.

sounds like I just need to get into the country.