British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   British Expat Networking in Rockingham (WA) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/british-expat-networking-rockingham-wa-918502/)

GusWes Oct 20th 2018 6:42 am

British Expat Networking in Rockingham (WA)

Hi, Me and my young family are due to make the move to Rockingham (WA), and would like to start networking with British Expats who are already over there.
We dont know anybody over there yet, and was wondering if there where any social groups we could approach? I would like to reassure my wife in particular that there are people in simular situations to us. We have a young daughter 9 months old, which is an obvious way she could tap into diffrent social groups but it’s a case of knowing what they are in advance before we come over. If anyone could help it would be hugely appretiated.

Wes

brits1 Nov 1st 2018 11:58 am

Re: British Expat Networking in Rockingham (WA)

Hi,

We moved to Perth WA and we also did not know as soul, it was back in 1998 and did not even have networks like this one, we made "friends" quite soon after our arrival through our children and our hobbies, Rockingham is south of Perth and is full of British expats who are mostly always friendly towards new arrivals from the "old country". Do you have anywhere to stay upon your arrival, we rented a holiday let (as our furniture etc) was going to take a while to arrive but it also took the stress out of quickly having to buy things and also enabled us to have a good look around at areas and rentals, we also hired a car (no birds) which is near the airport is quite cheap and have good cars and once again gave us chance to look for a car to buy. Good luck with everything and anything else I can help you with just ask.

spouse of scouse Nov 1st 2018 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12586220)
Hi,

We moved to Perth WA and we also did not know as soul, it was back in 1998 and did not even have networks like this one, we made "friends" quite soon after our arrival through our children and our hobbies, Rockingham is south of Perth and is full of British expats who are mostly always friendly towards new arrivals from the "old country". Do you have anywhere to stay upon your arrival, we rented a holiday let (as our furniture etc) was going to take a while to arrive but it also took the stress out of quickly having to buy things and also enabled us to have a good look around at areas and rentals, we also hired a car (no birds) which is near the airport is quite cheap and have good cars and once again gave us chance to look for a car to buy. Good luck with everything and anything else I can help you with just ask.

Your posts are always lovely Brits1, so helpful and reassuring :heart:

Wes, the City of Rockingham has lots of services for mums and bubs (and dads too!), the below links will help you and your wife explore what's around. It's very natural for your wife to be a bit nervous about such a big move, but having a 9 month old is the perfect entry to tons of ready made groups of potential friends! Best of luck to the three of you and looking forward to welcoming you to beautiful Western Australia.

http://southcoastal.org.au/wp-conten...et-JUNE-17.pdf
City of Rockingham - Education and Training Providers
City of Rockingham - Services for families and children

brits1 Nov 3rd 2018 7:22 am

Thank you scouce, the same goes for you. I hope your all well and happy in Perth. Xx

spouse of scouse Nov 3rd 2018 7:44 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12587075)
Thank you scouce, the same goes for you. I hope your all well and happy in Perth. Xx

Thanks Brits, we're happy as Larry in Perth (whoever Larry is!!) We love our new house, I've just put two huge casserole dishes of chicken cacciatore in my super wide oven, and I didn't get all hot and bothered making it because of the airconditioning - I'm in heaven :lol: Hope you're all well and happy back in the UK xx

brits1 Nov 6th 2018 6:53 am

Hi scouce hope you enjoyed your chicken cacciatore? We we are all well and good in England our eldest is currently living in South Gloucestershire (I miss him being a bit nearer but he's happy) he has a lovely girlfriend originally from Kent, our youngest has finished his teacher training and his new girlfriend he seems very serious about and she's from Sheffield !!! looks like our boys will not be on our doorstep but they are happy and that's what counts...we are now currently renting as we are not sure we will stay in the Peak District but for now we are happy in this area, my husband is currently working on a project in Cairo so I spend time there as well.....I only just arrived back yesterday and here bonfire night last night was "noisy" lol. I forget about the Aircon nowadays (its not something we need to worry about here although this summer it would of been nice lol) we use to live on salads etc in the summer time even though we had Aircon and looked forward to lancahire hotpot/ chilli's etc in the winter months....I am really happy your story has a happy ending...sorry to here abiia your faux plants...is it Harvey Norman or IKEA for replacements lol...have a good week.