British Exodus

Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Exodus

Originally Posted by holte end
Hi Grayling,

I do often read your posts and wonder why on earth you would want to leave such a wonderful part of England? It just goes to show doesn't it, everyone has their own personal reasons for doing this.

I live in hope of winning the lottery!
You are right and I think the same things myself.

I have not always lived here or been well off however. I do know that other people's lives are different. If I lived in an inner city I may well feel different.

I was not being critical I was simply returning to the original point I made that the reasons for migration are so different for so many people that the proposed article can not really cover them all.

I will migrate for family reasons and because I can.But then,I do not need to work or worry about Kids. (but I am 25 years older than most on here- what's that worth?).
My circumstances whether I go or not will still be very different to a young couple who need to worry about work,finances,kids etc.
I will be able to buy the nice house etc. Whether I will prefer it or not is another matter. Let's wait and see.

Best wishes

G
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Maybe OT

But Considering that most Australians live in areas of high density population (Ie. the main cities and their suburbs) I would imagine you are just as likely to live close to a bogeyman :scared:

Also Given the anonimity to be found in many Australian suburbs then there would be even less knowledge of where the 'dangers' may be.

G
High density population? The distance from one side of Melbourne to the other is greater than that of Edinburgh to Glasgow or London to Watford. Not a lot of semi-detached, high rise, narrow frontage houses although they do exist so I reckon the bogeyman is less likely to be near you! Anyway, lets not go on and on about it, I just wanted to pick you up on one or two points.

OzTennis
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
High density population? The distance from one side of Melbourne to the other is greater than that of Edinburgh to Glasgow or London to Watford. Not a lot of semi-detached, high rise, narrow frontage houses although they do exist so I reckon the bogeyman is less likely to be near you! Anyway, lets not go on and on about it, I just wanted to pick you up on one or two points.

OzTennis
Fair play

G
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Here's an interesting thought.

In the small town I live in there have been various violent assaults and a couple of murders since we have been living here (no connection).
However because everyone knew the perpetrators and their victims no one was really surprised or concerned. Or felt less safe.

I am sure that this goes on everywhere. It is 'strangers' who scare us not the known 'usual suspects'

G
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

steven'n'debi will become famous soon enoughsteven'n'debi will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: British Exodus

Originally Posted by tinaj
We moved from the Uk for pretty common reasons I expect:

1) The Rat Race, we both had to work full time, kids were at childminders or I was rushing around taking them or retrieving them all of the time. We earned good money, but ended up spending most of it on the mortgage or on holidays to escape the weather!

2) Climate, We love the sun and the weather in the Uk has to be one of the main reasons we left, it is so dismal and depressing that we ended up going abroad whenever we could to escape. This is why we moved to The Sunshine Coast, the weather here is perfect for us.

3)Housing Costs, we had a beautiful but expensive house in England, selling it meant we could come out here and buy a nice house mortgage free.

4) Drudgery, We both got sick of all the politics, racial tensions and the high costs of everything in London.

5) Adventure, We had a comfortable life in England but did not want to be sitting in the same place for the next 30 years and wondering why we had not done anything!

Coming out here has been everything we wanted. We can live on 1 salary and get to spend heaps more family time together. We now have more space. little traffic, a fantastic climate and lifestyle, and a much more positive future for our kids. We have however sacrificied being near our families for this.

A lot of the same problems are here i.e. taxes, perverts etc, but fortunately we still feel we are better off. We have no plans or wants to return at this stage and the thought of going back to my hectic life in that 'grey' place turns my stomach!
hell yeah!!
i was trying to say that!! just i said it with a scottish twang!!

hope i didnt cause any disharmony in the camp!!
as for the pervert thing! i have quite a few mated here from oz, and even thy say the amount of pervs here is re-dick!! the articles about them in the paper are tiny which is wrong!! no one wants to read it and the papers know!! so they print it and hide then(just like their appologies). but there are loads every day! the justice system dose'nt know how to deal with them and thats the one thing i feel the strongest the most about in my "rant"

nuf said!! time to unsubscribe me thinks!!
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:20 am
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PortJackson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by steven'n'debi
hell yeah!!
i was trying to say that!! just i said it with a scottish twang!!

hope i didnt cause any disharmony in the camp!!
as for the pervert thing! i have quite a few mated here from oz, and even thy say the amount of pervs here is re-dick!! the articles about them in the paper are tiny which is wrong!! no one wants to read it and the papers know!! so they print it and hide then(just like their appologies). but there are loads every day! the justice system dose'nt know how to deal with them and thats the one thing i feel the strongest the most about in my "rant"

nuf said!! time to unsubscribe me thinks!!

Do you read the Australian papers?
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:21 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by simbacat
Well I know very well that Penhill isn't a desirable area, but really those kind of estates you will find anywhere around the world. How do you spot the difference between an asyum seeker and an immigrant. My husband works with a lot of highly qualified immigrants from all around the world. I am just wondering how you spot an asylum seeker .
Unfortunately the most important distinction in all of this is one that many people seem unable to understand:

asylum seekers are people who are genuinely fleeing oppressive regimes, often in fear of their lives, and thru no fault of their own. They deserve to be treated with humanity, and helped.

economic migrants are people who want to go live in another country because they think they'll be better off. Some people take the legal approach & go thru the visa process and emigrate to say, Oz or Canada to do this; other people take the illegal approach & pay the local 'people trader' to be smuggled to say, the UK, in the back of a truck.

I am the daughter of 2 asylum seekers and am proud of it. My family were welcomed and helped by the most tolerant and kindly people (the Brits) who helped them find work, recover from the trauma, and make a life for themselves & their kids, away from danger.

Knowing what my family went through before they 'sought asylum' in the UK, it pains me more than I can say to see 'asylum seeker' used as a derogatory term, when people really mean 'economic migrant'.

Anya.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Everywhere that you have humans living alongside each other you will have a certain amount who are considered "antisocial" and/or "perverted" by the society they live in. The amount of newspaper inches is irrelevant really.
The people will always be there, whether you know about them or not.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The amount of newspaper inches is irrelevant really.

However it seems some people base their whole "dream" on what they read~so perhaps newspaper inches are relevent.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anya4oz

Knowing what my family went through before they 'sought asylum' in the UK, it pains me more than I can say to see 'asylum seeker' used as a derogatory term, when people really mean 'economic migrant'.

Anya.
The thing is, there are plenty of economic migrants working their butts of as well. I take it people are talking about the ones who come for the free ride. But all are getting called the same and they must all be bad.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: press request

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Here are the facts Mike....shared

http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/20planning.htm
Let's look at the more relevant information, from http://www.immi.gov.au/research/publ...nimpact_2.pdf:

To quote:

'Immigrants departing Australia were predominantly young, highly educated and likely to be employed in professional and skilled jobs, and of European and North American origins.' (and note the differentiation between prof'l and skilled)

'Since persons who enter Australia under the ‘skill’ settlement categories have a greater tendency to remigrate than is the case for those entering under the family and humanitarian categories, this can be expected to increase the overall rate of settler loss. This must be considered an expected result of internationalisation of labour markets.'

'The profile of departures of residents tends to be younger and more educated than the population of the nation as a whole and the spectre of ‘brain drain’ has arisen.'

'Australia is very definitely still experiencing a ‘brain gain’ in terms of there being a net gain recorded in each skill area. Nevertheless, the skill profile of emigration remains higher than that of immigration. Moreover, the gap between numbers of skilled immigrants and the number of skilled emigrants is decreasing. Hence, we are experiencing a greater ‘turnover’ of skilled personnel than in the past.'

In other words, Oz is losing its best and brightest - and mainly to US, UK and Europe.

Still, why worry, cos there's always the footy and Oz TV......

Last edited by MikeStanton; Sep 21st 2004 at 11:49 am.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Still, why worry, cos there's always the footy
Who is playing?
Old Sep 21st 2004, 12:07 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Let's look at the more relevant information, from http://www.immi.gov.au/research/publ...nimpact_2.pdf:

To quote:

'Immigrants departing Australia were predominantly young, highly educated and likely to be employed in professional and skilled jobs, and of European and North American origins.' (and note the differentiation between prof'l and skilled)

'Since persons who enter Australia under the ‘skill’ settlement categories have a greater tendency to remigrate than is the case for those entering under the family and humanitarian categories, this can be expected to increase the overall rate of settler loss. This must be considered an expected result of internationalisation of labour markets.'

'The profile of departures of residents tends to be younger and more educated than the population of the nation as a whole and the spectre of ‘brain drain’ has arisen.'

'Australia is very definitely still experiencing a ‘brain gain’ in terms of there being a net gain recorded in each skill area. Nevertheless, the skill profile of emigration remains higher than that of immigration. Moreover, the gap between numbers of skilled immigrants and the number of skilled emigrants is decreasing. Hence, we are experiencing a greater ‘turnover’ of skilled personnel than in the past.'

In other words, Oz is losing its best and brightest - and mainly to US, UK and Europe.

Still, why worry, cos there's always the footy and Oz TV......
The point YOU raised Mike was with regards to Skilled Professionals being the least to enter Australia under migration.

The FACTS as noted by DIMIA i.e the quota of INCOMMING professionals demonstrates this as your perception......not reality

The EXITING of professional Australians is another topic Mike so lets not smokescreen your original point that you put forward

Quite obviously your original point was YOUR PERCEPTION and not reality....

Regarding "Brain drain from Aus"; This is a different matter. So what figures and facts do you put to this then? [a credible source of statistics rather than perception please].

BTW: For what it's worth.....it is understandable why professionals leave Aus. If professionals exit [or enter] Aus for the money.... then this is the wrong country. Australia has many things of value that are worth emigrating for....but it's not the earning potential

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Sep 21st 2004 at 12:26 pm.

Old Sep 21st 2004, 12:11 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tar Too Serious

This thread has become far too serious for what is normally an entertaining and enlightening board
Out of character for me, I will try and answer the original question with humour and (DISCLAIMER) there is no offence intended by the use of names and places.

Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier sends scouts out round the World
looking for a new striker to replace Emile Heskey and hopefully win
Liverpool the title. One of his scouts informs him of a young Iraqi
striker who he thinks will turn out to be a true superstar. So Gerard
flies to Iraq to watch him and is suitably impressed and arranges for
him to come over to Anfield. Two weeks later Liverpool are 4-0 down at
home to Man Utd with only 20 minutes left. Houllier gives the young
Iraqi striker the nod to go on and he takes off Emile Heskey. The lad is
a sensation, scores 5 in 20 minutes and wins the game for Liverpool. The
fans are delighted, the players and coaches are delighted and the media
love the new star. When he comes off the pitch he phones his Mum to tell
her about his first day in English football.

"Hi Mum, guess what?" he says. "I played for 20 minutes today, we were
4-0 down but I scored 5 and we won. Everybody loves me, the fans, the
players and the media, they all love me".

"Great," says his Mum, "let me tell you about my day. Your father got
shot in the street, your sister and I were raped and beaten and your
brother has joined a gang of looters, while you were having a great
time". The young lad is very upset. "What can I say Mum, but I'm so
sorry".

"Sorry!" says his Mum, "It's your bloody fault that we moved to
Liverpool in the first place!"

Andrew
Old Sep 21st 2004, 12:35 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Tar Too Serious

Originally Posted by andrew63
This thread has become far too serious for what is normally an entertaining and enlightening board
Out of character for me, I will try and answer the original question with humour and (DISCLAIMER) there is no offence intended by the use of names and places.
Andrew
ROFL!!! Very good indeed Andrew! Got any more like that?

Anya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.