Reload this Page >

British education

British education

Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:30 pm
wombat42

Default British education

If you think the Aussie education system is bad read this: :scared:

http://heraldsun.news.com.au/common/...5E2862,00.html

Last edited by wombat42; Nov 19th 2004 at 7:36 pm.

Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:41 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British education

Originally Posted by wombat42

What was she thinking saying that to 13/14 year olds classic

Sasha
Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snappy
What was she thinking saying that to 13/14 year olds classic

Sasha
That they were not stupid perhaps!!!!!!! I know people that went to that school clearly things haven't improved
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: British education

Probably put them off setting fire to their desks for 10 minutes!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 9:00 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by isgraham
That they were not stupid perhaps!!!!!!! I know people that went to that school clearly things haven't improved
The fact that at that age I would of thought that they are still very impressionable and when told something by someone in such authority would of believed it. Then for her to turn round and say "I was only joking just trying to get you to see life from another angle" :scared: not stupid just a bit young!!!

Sasha
Old Nov 19th 2004, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

gazzer is an unknown quantity at this point

If i had told that to one of my classes they would have laughed at me and asked what the bloody hell were we still doing here talking about it!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 10:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42

Wombat

Here's one you must have missed from the same edition:

G
Old Nov 19th 2004, 10:53 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Grayling
Wombat

Here's one you must have missed from the same edition:

G
But its a bit boring compared to my end of the world disaster article.
She must be one dreadful teacher if the only way she could get the kids to behave is by telling them they are going to die.

Last edited by wombat42; Nov 19th 2004 at 11:02 pm.

Old Nov 19th 2004, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

gazzer is an unknown quantity at this point

hi folks

fact - schools are falling to pieces in the UK as well.

Trouble is - the facilities and services are run by teachers and educationalists.

Having spent 20 years in the construction industry before teaching- teachers are the last people to manage anything else other than the curriculum. But in their defence the majority of their budget goes on wages and little else is left for much else. Facilities while essential are low down on the proirity list.

Fact is while we have to send our kids to school till 16 - we really don't like paying too much for it do we?

At the end of the day our children get a bum deal.

Anyway the first post made me lol and I suspect the kids will laugh on moday when i tell them the story - while they avoid the rain drops through the leaking roof!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:33 am
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Gaz&Rach is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by isgraham
My Dad went to that school and he's not stupid at all...but I must admit, he'd have just said "hang on a minute, is this a wind up or what?"

Saying that though, I woudn't be too happy if my 14 year old son came home and told me he thought it was for real and was genuinely scared. Gaz and I were only talking about this sort of thing the other day saying that we think one day a giant meteor will destroy the earth and that'll be the end of that. Unless scientists can find another planet where we humans can survive and a way of transporting everyone there of course.

So after listening to us waffle on, our lad would probably be really freaked out if he went in school to that news the next day!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:45 am
aussie73

Originally Posted by Gaz&Rach
My Dad went to that school and he's not stupid at all...but I must admit, he'd have just said "hang on a minute, is this a wind up or what?"

Saying that though, I woudn't be too happy if my 14 year old son came home and told me he thought it was for real and was genuinely scared. Gaz and I were only talking about this sort of thing the other day saying that we think one day a giant meteor will destroy the earth and that'll be the end of that. Unless scientists can find another planet where we humans can survive and a way of transporting everyone there of course.

So after listening to us waffle on, our lad would probably be really freaked out if he went in school to that news the next day!
A meteor has wiped out most life on earth before and killed all the dinosours
and l saw on the news a few weeks ago one narrowly missed the earth, and scientists say we are due for a big one soon, so alot of people would believe someone who told them that they heard on the news that a massive meteor
is about to hit the earth. If the kids really did believe they were about to die then perhaps they could sue the teacher or the school for mental distress
or trauma.

Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:52 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie73
A meteor has wiped out most life on earth before and killed all the dinosours
and l saw on the news a few weeks ago one narrowly missed the earth, and scientists say we are due for a big one soon, so alot of people would believe someone who told them that they heard on the news that a massive meteor
is about to hit the earth. If the kids really did believe they were about to die then perhaps they could sue the teacher or the school for mental distress
or trauma.
]

I remember going to school one day and being told on arrival by other kids that World War III had broken out! Apparently the rumour was so persistent, that even some of the teachers were starting to believe it!

My reaction? And I'm serious about this......'Great, we get to go home from school'! Yeah....I really loved my school.....
Old Nov 20th 2004, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: British education

I think - let's cut this teacher a bit of slack. How many of us haven't had 'a brilliant idea' only to moments later realise it was inappropriate/didn't work or was just plain daft. I do this without being under stress and faced with kids ranging from the disruptive and ignorant through to the sensitive and intelligent. So put it down to 'an opportunity for home-based discussion'!!!! I can't believe someone mentioned litigation (light heartedly or not). It's this sort of thinking that is putting a stop to school trips, scouts and other recreations for kids because when the inevitable accident occurs, there's always someone who runs for the lawyers before the first aid kit!

Ooooh...I don't think I've ever been so outspoken before online. I just think this news item was a bit of a media beat-up. Slinking off sideways now......
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:55 am
Mel Gibson

Originally Posted by ezzie
I think - let's cut this teacher a bit of slack. How many of us haven't had 'a brilliant idea' only to moments later realise it was inappropriate/didn't work or was just plain daft. I do this without being under stress and faced with kids ranging from the disruptive and ignorant through to the sensitive and intelligent. So put it down to 'an opportunity for home-based discussion'!!!! I can't believe someone mentioned litigation (light heartedly or not). It's this sort of thinking that is putting a stop to school trips, scouts and other recreations for kids because when the inevitable accident occurs, there's always someone who runs for the lawyers before the first aid kit!

Ooooh...I don't think I've ever been so outspoken before online. I just think this news item was a bit of a media beat-up. Slinking off sideways now......
She told the students to say goodbye to their friends and family as it will be the last time they will see them alive and most of the students were crying believing they were about to die. If someone in the same room as you had a fake bomb which you though was real and said that they will detonate it in 1 hour and you spent that time believing you were going to die would'nt you want to sue that person.

Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:27 am
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Gaz&Rach is on a distinguished road

I think we are all missing a most important point...this was in the newspapers!! How much of the content of newspapers is actually reported correctly and acurately? She probably started the lesson with something like..."what would you do in this situation?...a giant meteor is about to hit earth....." But let's face it, it would not make a very good story would it?

Rach

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.