Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

british curriculum schools in sydney

british curriculum schools in sydney

Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: british curriculum schools in sydney

Originally Posted by Deedee13
its quite funny, but reading this it made me think about the Uk, are there australian/american/german schools in the uk?? I can understand the worry, but i dont see the kids in these countries lacking anything. They seem to be able to add 2 and 2 together. When in rome do as the romans do. !!! Take the good out of what the system has to offer.
There's certainly an American school and international schools. Don't know about other nationalities.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
The OP may not be planning to live in Australia long term, in which case it may be preferable to follow the one curriculum. It must be an issue families that move frequently (eg in the armed forces, diplomatic service etc) have to tackle?
My message wasnt directed directly at the OP but in general as there has been a lot of debate on this lately. Unfortunatley its the price you have to pay if you are in a situation where you move around alot. Australia is almost the same as the UK and therefore I would deem it not appropriate to have an english school in an english speaking country where the same subjects are studied, on the other hand places like singapore, europe and many other places have english or international schools which is obviously needed for the language barrier. Its an individual choice and most people move to oz because they want to not need to, therefore if they dont like the education system or think Uk ed is better then they dont have to come. Australians dont have any probs getting jobs when moving to or working in the UK.

In saying all this there was a study done last week on Today tonight (or similar) about education within Oz and lucky for me NSW did well in it and the standards do seem to vary state to state. But again this is also the case in the UK and at the end of the day a lot is down to the kids and wether they want to learn. Mine do not better or worse than UK.

Jo
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
My message wasnt directed directly at the OP but in general as there has been a lot of debate on this lately. Unfortunatley its the price you have to pay if you are in a situation where you move around alot. Australia is almost the same as the UK and therefore I would deem it not appropriate to have an english school in an english speaking country where the same subjects are studied, on the other hand places like singapore, europe and many other places have english or international schools which is obviously needed for the language barrier. Its an individual choice and most people move to oz because they want to not need to, therefore if they dont like the education system or think Uk ed is better then they dont have to come. Australians dont have any probs getting jobs when moving to or working in the UK.

In saying all this there was a study done last week on Today tonight (or similar) about education within Oz and lucky for me NSW did well in it and the standards do seem to vary state to state. But again this is also the case in the UK and at the end of the day a lot is down to the kids and wether they want to learn. Mine do not better or worse than UK.

Jo

English is an offical language of Singapore (the primary language for admin.)
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:43 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
English is an offical language of Singapore (the primary language for admin.)
Singapore English is however not the same as British English. And I am not being "funny" here: there have been linguistic studies done on a number of varieties of the English language around the world.

Gina
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I like to give this impression when England have been panned at sport (again) and my students are giving me real grief.

I'm so lost for a come back that it's just the only course of action to take!
You could also try telling them it's only a game and doesn't really matter.

Except on those rare occasions when we win, of course, and then it is a matter of real global significance.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:01 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
Except on those rare occasions when we win, of course, and then it is a matter of real global significance.
Yes - because those occasions are so rare!

S
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes - because those occasions are so rare!

S
Precisely
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, that's true SATS, and to a certain extent GCSEs, are really just a govenment method for measuring school performance. Students don't learn about their subject - they learn how to pass (largely) multiple choice exams.

S
This is my view too
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
Where I come from there were about 30% of schools teaching a Muslim education.

Why do the English think that they are so much better than everyone else and that all kids should have an English education?
They don`t.
A simple question was asked about schools,not an uncommon question on this site.Cannot believe the comments that have arisen from it.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chels
The OP may not be planning to live in Australia long term, in which case it may be preferable to follow the one curriculum. It must be an issue families that move frequently (eg in the armed forces, diplomatic service etc) have to tackle?
Quite.For many families who move regularly parents try to find schools which offer a similar education to to that of their home country.This helps with the relocation and the settling process.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ctuae
Hi everyone,

We are thinking of moving to Sydney. are there any british curriculum schools there??

thanks
ctuae
Google schools/nsw/etc and tap in your specific school requirements - you are bound to find some schools which match your criteria. It may even be worth a pre-move visit to check out the shortlisted schools.We spent months trawling school websites from the Uk and the children are now settling into a very happy school.
Good luck!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilgar
Google schools/nsw/etc and tap in your specific school requirements - you are bound to find some schools which match your criteria. It may even be worth a pre-move visit to check out the shortlisted schools.We spent months trawling school websites from the Uk and the children are now settling into a very happy school.
Good luck!
I think people get hung up on what is a good school. If the child doesnt want to learn it wont matter what school they go to. Also as mentioned before school have no choice on teachers so the school maybe good this year but not next. If you want a reasonably guaranteed schooling level then you will have to pay the same as UK. And before anyone starts I know that some state schools have excellent reps too. I am not directing my comments at anyone just giving my view. The OP said 'we are thinking of moving to Sydney' which would indicate to me choice, not a need to.

Anyway I hope all of you find what you are looking for.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 10:12 am
Just Joined

beyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rodders39
There's a Japanese School up here behind the Northern Beaches somewhere... Can't remember exactly where but I know we go past it on the way to the kennels we use for the dogs...
Its at Tierey [sp?] Hills