Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

british curriculum schools in sydney

british curriculum schools in sydney

Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:31 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: british curriculum schools in sydney

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You know the scene - middle class guardian reading parents sitting around a dinner table "Well, mine's six months old and his phonics are terrible."
Blimey - did you know my neighbours?

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
A British curriculumn school in Australia is a perfectly reasonable expectation. It would serve those Brits who are here on contract or who only see their move as temporary and those Brits who had reservations (rightly or wrongly) about the Australian system.
Business opportunity for someone there then!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

We had English friends who were posted to the Colonies for 3 years. The children had to come out of the private English system and god forbid go into the local State primary in a very nice part of Sydney. The wife complained for the whole 3 years about the appalling state of education the children were receiving. Lo and behold upon returning to the UK the daughter passed the entrance exam to a very good girls school in Surrey and the boy into a feeder school for Guildford Grammar.

Maybe their Aussie education wasn't so bad after all!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Where I come from there were about 30% of schools teaching a Muslim education.

Why do the English think that they are so much better than everyone else and that all kids should have an English education?

Last edited by Wendy; Mar 13th 2007 at 8:15 am.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy

Why do the English think that they are so much better than everyone else and that all kids should have an English education?
Don't think they do they?

I think there are many positives to an Australian education.

I like the outdoor activities, I like the confidence building.

I just have concerns about academic standards here.

I don't think the whole school experience is necessarily better in England though.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Is this good or bad?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Is this good or bad?

It depends on your prespective I suppose.

On the one hand, it's great for the Muslim kids as it teaches them Muslim values etc, on the other hand there is no requirement to speak English, nor do they teach it. So you have a load of kids that grow up learning the values of their society but not anything about their adopted one.

They don't accept non-Muslim students either, so it does tend to encourage segregation. The Muslims I knew personally, didn't use these schools for the above reasons.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't think they do they?

I think there are many positives to an Australian education.

I like the outdoor activities, I like the confidence building.

I just have concerns about academic standards here.

I don't think the whole school experience is necessarily better in England though.

Some do yes. I know one family who went back because her kids school didn't give her homework for one week Why she didn't go in and speak to the teacher I don't know, or why didn't she set her child some homework? My kids sit down for at least one hour a day and do homework, whether it's set by the school or by me.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

I know one family who went back because her kids school didn't give her homework for one week Why she didn't go in and speak to the teacher I don't know, or why didn't she set her child some homework? My kids sit down for at least one hour a day and do homework, whether it's set by the school or by me.
Don't forget that the existence of Australian schools in places like Singapore, Bali and KL could be seen by many that Australians think that there education system is so bloody superior!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

If you have to ask, then you probably wouldn't understand, but this may explain it:

"....and yet I think in my heart that the British Snob, for conceit and self-sufficiency and braggartism in his way, is without a parallel. There is always something uneasy in a Frenchman’s conceit. He brags with so much fury, shrieking, and gesticulation; yells out so loudly that the Francais is at the head of civilization, the centre of thought, etc., that one can’t but see the poor fellow has a lurking doubt in his own mind that he is not the wonder he professes to be. About the British Snob, on the contrary, there is commonly no noise, no bluster, but the calmness of profound conviction. We are better than all the world; we don’t question the opinion at all; it’s an axiom."

From the Book of Snobs, by William Makepeace Thackeray
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't forget that the existence of Australian schools in places like Singapore, Bali and KL could be seen by many that Australians think that there education system is so bloody superior!

Aye, probably
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Exile
If you have to ask, then you probably wouldn't understand, but this may explain it:

"....and yet I think in my heart that the British Snob, for conceit and self-sufficiency and braggartism in his way, is without a parallel. There is always something uneasy in a Frenchman’s conceit. He brags with so much fury, shrieking, and gesticulation; yells out so loudly that the Francais is at the head of civilization, the centre of thought, etc., that one can’t but see the poor fellow has a lurking doubt in his own mind that he is not the wonder he professes to be. About the British Snob, on the contrary, there is commonly no noise, no bluster, but the calmness of profound conviction. We are better than all the world; we don’t question the opinion at all; it’s an axiom."

Not heard that before, but then I've had an English education and that wasn't on the curriculum
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

It is fair question and didn't really deserve the responses with the apparent subtext.

A British curriculumn school in Australia is a perfectly reasonable expectation. It would serve those Brits who are here on contract or who only see their move as temporary and those Brits who had reservations (rightly or wrongly) about the Australian system.

There is a Japanese (curriculum) school in Perth. There are British curriculum schools (and in some cases Australian curriculum schools) in just about every Asian country from Saudi Arabia to Singapore.

Why not in Australia?

(But of course - you need British curriculum (and Australian curriculum) schools in countries such as Singapore because the native system is so dodgy. How could anyone think that Australia's system may have some weaknesses?!)
its quite funny, but reading this it made me think about the Uk, are there australian/american/german schools in the uk?? I can understand the worry, but i dont see the kids in these countries lacking anything. They seem to be able to add 2 and 2 together. When in rome do as the romans do. !!! Take the good out of what the system has to offer.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Not heard that before, but then I've had an English education and that wasn't on the curriculum
I really like the last line. So much so, that I will quote it again and put it in bold.

"We are better than all the world; we don’t question the opinion at all; it’s an axiom."

Brilliant.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

About the British Snob, on the contrary, there is commonly no noise, no bluster, but the calmness of profound conviction. We are better than all the world; we don’t question the opinion at all;

Fabulous! I've been trying to get my Australian colleagues to see this over the last 18 months...
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

the calmness of profound conviction. We are better than all the world;
I like to give this impression when England have been panned at sport (again) and my students are giving me real grief.

I'm so lost for a come back that it's just the only course of action to take!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.