Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

british curriculum schools in sydney

british curriculum schools in sydney

Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:55 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: british curriculum schools in sydney

Originally Posted by stevemich
Welcome back to Oz! Been quiet without you!
thanks, should i go away more often?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:59 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
thanks, should i go away more often?
I am sure there would be great wailing and gnashing of teeth if that was the case!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:01 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
I think you're the one who needs some schooling!

There was a Japanese school in West London, I recall (for the sizeable expat community there), I wonder if there are similar schools in Australia?
There's a Japanese School up here behind the Northern Beaches somewhere... Can't remember exactly where but I know we go past it on the way to the kennels we use for the dogs...
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ctuae
Thanks a lot.. Yes ,here in the UAE ,I guess everything is slightly different than the rest of the world...We've been here for 5 years now and I think it is now time to go back to the real world..
My only worry is the kids' school though. Here, the british school is absolutely lovely and they follow british curriculum. Is the Australian curriculum very different ? How does it work if we go back to the UK?
If you're concerned about Univerity entrance, as far as I am aware most UK universities will accept the Australian 'A' level equivalents - I know that at the univeristy I used to lecture at there was an comparison scheme, which translated into entry points - not just for Au, but for many countries.

As for general secondary education, then Australia doesn't really have much in the way of an equivalent to the GCSE that your children could take back with them if that was your plan. In this case it would probably be best to consider staying at least untiol they have completed their HSC equivs.

Alternatively, find a place that is offering the International Baccalauriate - This is also offered as an access way into Univeristy, and some of the independent schools (certainly in Sydney) do offer it as a study route. The American school I was guffing on about above offers that - and it is open to all people - not just americans - so it could well be worth enquiring.

S
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're the one who needs some schooling!

There was a Japanese school in West London, I recall (for the sizeable expat community there), I wonder if there are similar schools in Australia?
There is even a Japanese school here in Perth. My girls go there, as their mum is Japanese and they are bilingual. The school is very good at teaching maths, too.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'm in the West Midlands. Could you please post a list of Australian curriculum schools near Birmingham?

Thanks.

It may be difficult for you to comprehend, but not everybody comes here because they want to renounce all ties to the UK and embrace all things Australian. It was a perfectly reasonable question.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why everyone is obsessed with education in Oz. If you are going to live long term here than whats the problem, you get Aussie qualifications which you need in Australia, problem solved. Asked my kids and they think its about the same as UK and unless they get english kids to sit the same tests as compable level children then who knows, you are always going to get the bright kids who excell and are bored both her and UK at least here they will let you jump years. Also I am happy for my kids to go to a school where I dont have to worry about stabbings or bullying. My kid was bullied very badly in his UK school, but is loving his school here so for me its worth it whatever. As long as they get the education to do what they need to do in life so what. How many of you use what you learnt at school in your chosen job not many I would guess. I have forgotten most of the maths I learnt and I was good at it, cant even help my kids anymore.

Jo
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:35 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
I wonder why everyone is obsessed with education in Oz. If you are going to live long term here than whats the problem, you get Aussie qualifications which you need in Australia, problem solved.

Jo
The OP may not be planning to live in Australia long term, in which case it may be preferable to follow the one curriculum. It must be an issue families that move frequently (eg in the armed forces, diplomatic service etc) have to tackle?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:43 am

gedge has disabled reputation

The OP may not be planning to live in Australia long term, in which case it may be preferable to follow the one curriculum. It must be an issue families that move frequently (eg in the armed forces, diplomatic service etc) have to tackle?
exactly.. it can have a big impact on your child moving schools along with moving country, trying to simplify the process a little by having a similar curriculum where possible seems like a reasonable thought to me
no harm in asking is there
Q to the OP: have you done any research other than asking here?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:53 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
I wonder why everyone is obsessed with education in Oz. If you are going to live long term here than whats the problem, you get Aussie qualifications which you need in Australia, problem solved. Asked my kids and they think its about the same as UK and unless they get english kids to sit the same tests as compable level children then who knows, you are always going to get the bright kids who excell and are bored both her and UK at least here they will let you jump years. Also I am happy for my kids to go to a school where I dont have to worry about stabbings or bullying. My kid was bullied very badly in his UK school, but is loving his school here so for me its worth it whatever. As long as they get the education to do what they need to do in life so what. How many of you use what you learnt at school in your chosen job not many I would guess. I have forgotten most of the maths I learnt and I was good at it, cant even help my kids anymore.

Jo
There does appear to be this prevailing opinion that education in Austrailia isn't very good. I'm not sure that I wholly buy into it- it just seems to be that the focus is on different things. I think there is a competitive obsession in the UK relating to childrens performance - you know the scene - middle class guardian reading parents sitting around a dinner table "Well, mine's six months old and his phonics are terrible."

I work with a girl and her husband, and they are pretty average parents, but without a doubt the ability of their 6 and 8 year old sons is certainly on a par if not exceeding that of the 11 yr olds I use to teach in Britain. There the emphasis is all on training kids to pass exams so that the school looks good. Here, it's something else. There is much more emphasis on developing kids as well rounded individuals with good skills to boot.

This does come up a lot, and I can see why Vash gets upset. I read this thread initially, and it really did look like the old debate of British system versus Australian system: I don't want my kids learning in the Aussie system.

S
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:57 am
has lost The Game

exactly.. it can have a big impact on your child moving schools along with moving country, trying to simplify the process a little by having a similar curriculum where possible seems like a reasonable thought to me
no harm in asking is there
This is a good point. Australia really doesn't make it easy either - just moving state means a whole new education system for the kids to get their heads around. A national curriculum, or anational framework of objectives would be a great idea here.

S
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:59 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

I work with a girl and her husband, and they are pretty average parents, but without a doubt the ability of their 6 and 8 year old sons is certainly on a par if not exceeding that of the 11 yr olds I use to teach in Britain. There the emphasis is all on training kids to pass exams so that the school looks good. Here, it's something else. There is much more emphasis on developing kids as well rounded individuals with good skills to boot.

S
But I've got an idea that the school they send their children is nothing like the school where you used to teach? You have to compare like with like, and some schools are good, some are bad no matter whether they are in England or Australia. And I think you'll find that there is a similar heavy emphasis placed on children passing their HSE here as there is to passing exams in the UK. Unfortunately a lot of life choices are governed by how well (or otherwise) you do in these exams...
Old Mar 13th 2007, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

But I've got an idea that the school they send their children is nothing like the school where you used to teach? You have to compare like with like, and some schools are good, some are bad no matter whether they are in England or Australia. And I think you'll find that there is a similar heavy emphasis placed on children passing their HSE here as there is to passing exams in the UK. Unfortunately a lot of life choices are governed by how well (or otherwise) you do in these exams...
There certainly is pressure to do well in the HSC here - it's the key to University entrance (just like 'A' levels), after all.

But that's the ONLY exam during the whole of the child's schooling where there's a need to perform well (and it's for their own benefit as well as their school's). In the UK, from my understanding, kids are tested all through their school years - purely so the school can score well in the league tables.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 6:33 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by NickyC
There certainly is pressure to do well in the HSC here - it's the key to University entrance (just like 'A' levels), after all.

But that's the ONLY exam during the whole of the child's schooling where there's a need to perform well (and it's for their own benefit as well as their school's). In the UK, from my understanding, kids are tested all through their school years - purely so the school can score well in the league tables.
Yes, that's true SATS, and to a certain extent GCSEs, are really just a govenment method for measuring school performance. Students don't learn about their subject - they learn how to pass (largely) multiple choice exams.

S
Old Mar 13th 2007, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

actually imo it's a fair question seeing as where you are posting from
it's not unusual to find schools following the British curriculum in ME countries where there is a sufficient British expat population to support it
unfortunately you're unlikely to find the same here in Aus, hopefully you'll find the schools here can offer a similar level/type of education.. or possibly not judging by some of the threads going at the mo
It is fair question and didn't really deserve the responses with the apparent subtext.

A British curriculumn school in Australia is a perfectly reasonable expectation. It would serve those Brits who are here on contract or who only see their move as temporary and those Brits who had reservations (rightly or wrongly) about the Australian system.

There is a Japanese (curriculum) school in Perth. There are British curriculum schools (and in some cases Australian curriculum schools) in just about every Asian country from Saudi Arabia to Singapore.

Why not in Australia?

(But of course - you need British curriculum (and Australian curriculum) schools in countries such as Singapore because the native system is so dodgy. How could anyone think that Australia's system may have some weaknesses?!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.