Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British classic food dishes

British classic food dishes

Old Aug 5th 2005, 1:43 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British classic food dishes

Originally Posted by joho
Could someone please give me the recipe for yorkshire puds, I have totally forgotten since aunt bessie, but I have to make my own now. Oh and while your at it, dumplings please.

Jo
The webiste that Jules just gave has a recipe for yorkshire puds. I didnt find anything for dumplings though.

Yorkshires
Old Aug 5th 2005, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
A few 'family classics' would include:

Roast Leg of Lamb, marinaded overnight in mint, lemon and garlic, served with crispy roast potatoes.

Homemade Tipsy Trifle - using fresh raspberries, fresh cream custard and lashing of brandy.

God, I'm starving now!

YUM YUM

Can I come round for dinner

Suzy
Old Aug 5th 2005, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

jules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to all

Dumpings here

jules

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk...name=dumplings
Old Aug 5th 2005, 1:53 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jules
Great website by the way Jules. Yum Yum.

Claire
xx
Old Aug 5th 2005, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

hey, thanks for the link!

after 5 years in a british boarding school , i must say i miss my jam roly poly too . We always had it with custard( everything was smothered in custard if i recall!) deeeelish!

dont miss the faggots and mash :scared: but i do miss my christmas pudding and whiskey sauce . have you got a recipe for that? getting sick of the brandy butter. atleast i think it was whiskey sauce . it was a white runny sauce that i would smother my pud in .
Old Aug 5th 2005, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zalaben
hey, thanks for the link!

after 5 years in a british boarding school , i must say i miss my jam roly poly too . We always had it with custard( everything was smothered in custard if i recall!) deeeelish!

dont miss the faggots and mash :scared: but i do miss my christmas pudding and whiskey sauce . have you got a recipe for that? getting sick of the brandy butter. atleast i think it was whiskey sauce . it was a white runny sauce that i would smother my pud in .

You just reminded me of Brains faggots. Used to get them from the freezer dept. yummy and really cheap!
Old Aug 5th 2005, 2:34 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Spotted dick with custard. Yum.
LOL My American wife still doesn't believe we call it that....
Old Aug 5th 2005, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

wayne&mandy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steandleigh
I make all my own 'classics' and am very good at it too - shephards pie, beef stew and dumplings, sausages and mash (homemade sausages), toad in the hole, roast beef and yorkie puds etc etc.

HOWEVER, I am completely crap at (and God knows I've tried - at pastry) a decent apple pie would be good. Crispy, melt in the mouth pastry and not too sweet apple filling.
That all sounds scrumptious,especially the homemade sausages, mmmm.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 4:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wayne&mandy
That all sounds scrumptious,especially the homemade sausages, mmmm.
Once you have tasted the sausages here you will know why you need homemade ones!
The Bloke served some for dinner the other night, supermarket bought but not cheap, I asked what sort they were and he said "well, meat I suppose!". They tasted like very cheap mince, no real flavour. (hope he's not reading this)
Can't wait for October and all those lovely ones from the farm shop
Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

jules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Once you have tasted the sausages here you will know why you need homemade ones!
The Bloke served some for dinner the other night, supermarket bought but not cheap, I asked what sort they were and he said "well, meat I suppose!". They tasted like very cheap mince, no real flavour. (hope he's not reading this)
Can't wait for October and all those lovely ones from the farm shop
Is it really hard to make home made sausages?
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Ok you asked for it... this is an easy totally foolproof recipe...

I've posted this Yorkshire pud recipe before, it really does work.. every time!

You need equal measures of:

Egg
Plain Flour
Liquid (milk or water or mixture of both)

+ season to taste

I use a ramikin dish to measure all the ingredients, do the egg first... and take note of the line which 1 or 2 eggs reaches, (depending on how many yorkshires you need!!) then milk, flour last... )

Mix all the above together and leave to stand.. this can be as long as you like..

heat baking tray until fat is sizzling, you can use fat from the roasting meat/oil/lard .. but make sure there is enough to start cooking the yorkshires...

Spoon mixture into sizzling tray, put plenty in each one, leave about 2/3mm from top if tin

Bake for about 20 minutes in a hot oven until golden and crisp... do not open oven too early.. they will flop!!!

Good luck

Julie
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the recipes.

'Roast beef and yorkies' and 'strew and dumplings' this week then
Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:12 pm
blossom

As I am now back here in the UK for a little while longer, this thread got me thinking.

What food do I miss in Australia? Well obviously all the seafoods, prawns, oysters, yabbies, etc etc. But just thinking about it, what I could eat right this minute is a good old NSW State Rail Meat Pie !! Yum !!!

Blossom

Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blossom
As I am now back here in the UK for a little while longer, this thread got me thinking.

What food do I miss in Australia? Well obviously all the seafoods, prawns, oysters, yabbies, etc etc. But just thinking about it, what I could eat right this minute is a good old NSW State Rail Meat Pie !! Yum !!!

Blossom
Mmmmm, I love seafood . Tried some Moreton Bay bugs in Broadbeach last year, they were lovely. Can't wait to try them again when we get over there. The kids all liked them too so I had to share

Tracey
Old Aug 6th 2005, 2:34 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jules
Dumplings? I love 'em! But I had great difficulty in finding suet in Australia; no packets of Atora Beef Suet which I could buy in the UK., it was more a case of buying it in lumps from the butcher and putting it through the blender with an equal amount of flour, then freezing it.
But Tandaco Suet Mix is the closest thing to Atora. You just need to add an equal weight of SR flour,a couple of teasp. Baking Powder, plus salt, pepper etc.
This makes perfect pastry for Steak and Kidney (or mushroom) pudding, which is my all-time favourite Winter dish.
If you're feeling lazy, add a couple of sp. sugar for Apple Pie topping, or some rolled oats and dessicated coconut, omit the water, just sprinkle on top of whatever fruit you like for instant Crumble - a couple of sp. of brown sugar on top of that and you have a perfect crunchy topping.
And I like my dumplings crunchy, so instead of putting them in the stew, I pile Sp.fuls on an oven tray, like Rock Cakes, and bake them in a hot oven.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.