British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   British classic food dishes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/british-classic-food-dishes-318220/)

wayne&mandy Aug 5th 2005 9:34 am

British classic food dishes

And some not so British but still yummy.Are there any such restaurants etc in Oz that cook our favourites? What would you like on your perfect menu and what would be your all time favourite dish. Mandy :D

Megalania Aug 5th 2005 9:45 am

Re: British classic food dishes

Originally Posted by wayne&mandy
And some not so British but still yummy.Are there any such restaurants etc in Oz that cook our favourites? What would you like on your perfect menu and what would be your all time favourite dish. Mandy :D

A Rhubarb Rolly-Polly would be nice now.

chocaholic Aug 5th 2005 10:00 am

Spotted dick with custard. Yum.

steandleigh Aug 5th 2005 10:33 am

I make all my own 'classics' and am very good at it too - shephards pie, beef stew and dumplings, sausages and mash (homemade sausages), toad in the hole, roast beef and yorkie puds etc etc.

HOWEVER, I am completely crap at (and God knows I've tried - at pastry) a decent apple pie would be good. :o Crispy, melt in the mouth pastry and not too sweet apple filling. :)

avroncotton Aug 5th 2005 10:53 am

Originally Posted by steandleigh
I make all my own 'classics' and am very good at it too - shephards pie, beef stew and dumplings, sausages and mash (homemade sausages), toad in the hole, roast beef and yorkie puds etc etc.

HOWEVER, I am completely crap at (and God knows I've tried - at pastry) a decent apple pie would be good. :o Crispy, melt in the mouth pastry and not too sweet apple filling. :)

Secret to pastry is once you add the liquid; don't over work it, just combine it and wrap in glad-wrap and rest it for 15mins. Trust me I'm a pro!

steandleigh Aug 5th 2005 11:03 am

Originally Posted by avroncotton
Secret to pastry is once you add the liquid; don't over work it, just combine it and wrap in glad-wrap and rest it for 15mins. Trust me I'm a pro!

:D Thanks for that, will def have a go - anything beats my rock hard efforts. :o

Kids and Ste lick their lips - another of mummies gourmet delights and then do the taste test and need dentures here-on-in!!!! :rolleyes:

Jaykay Aug 5th 2005 12:19 pm

One of our "locals"

http://www.pigandwhistletavern.com/index.html

steandleigh Aug 5th 2005 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Megalania
A Rhubarb Rolly-Polly would be nice now.

Rhubarb Rolly Polly,Old bean? :D

"Roly Poly" should always be made with strawberry or raspberry jam (homemade if yer feeling clever). Never rhubarb and never 'Rolly Polly'!!! :)

Megalania Aug 5th 2005 12:33 pm

"Roly Poly" should always be made with strawberry or raspberry jam (homemade if yer feeling clever). Never rhubarb and never 'Rolly Polly'!!! :)

"Should always?" - fiddlesticks!

There's also a quick "shearer's cook" method: de-string the Rrrrhooobarb, roll the sticks in pastry with sugar and lemon juice, maybe some nutmeg; cut into 2 finger width slices; place on baking tray with a little water; put in oven.

Anastasia Beaverhausen Aug 5th 2005 12:34 pm

Ooooh look at the purist!! :D ;)

All this talk about sheppards pie and sausage and mash is making me hungry. Veggie version for me, but just as good.

Flutterscutter Aug 5th 2005 12:36 pm

i think he means rhubard crumble and custard.. yum

I often laugh to myself down here be it NZ or Aus that they advertise dishes as
"traditional" aussie or kiwi dishes and you end up with menus of roast dinner, fish and chips, pie and chips. In other words.. familiar Brit food!! :D

worzel Aug 5th 2005 1:09 pm

My favourite classic British foods would have to be:

Chicken Tikka Masala
Beef in garlic and spring onions
Doner kebabs
Spaghetti Bolgnese
Chilli Con Carne
Cajun chicken
Fajitas :D

Oh, and how could I forget:

vegetables boiled to a paste
Roast beef cooked to the consitency of shoe leather
lukewarm steak and kidney pies at the football with a dollop of sauce on them.

Nicky & Dave Aug 5th 2005 1:15 pm

A few 'family classics' would include:

Roast Leg of Lamb, marinaded overnight in mint, lemon and garlic, served with crispy roast potatoes.

Homemade Tipsy Trifle - using fresh raspberries, fresh cream custard and lashing of brandy.

God, I'm starving now!

jules Aug 5th 2005 1:23 pm

or try some of these

jules

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/index.htm

joho Aug 5th 2005 1:29 pm

Could someone please give me the recipe for yorkshire puds, I have totally forgotten since aunt bessie, but I have to make my own now. Oh and while your at it, dumplings please.

Jo