British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   British Citzenship For Aus Kids ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/british-citzenship-aus-kids-597414/)

tabby Mar 13th 2009 10:27 pm

British Citzenship For Aus Kids !

I have just printed the forms to register my son as a British Citzenship so we all have duel , only to discover that it $1044 + $113 once the have agreed to reister him :curse:

Hoping someone is going to tell me i read it wrong .

Anyone applied for this ?

Thanks
Martin

Anastasia Beaverhausen Mar 14th 2009 12:23 am

Re: British Citzenship For Aus Kids !

Thats a bit steep. Do you have a link, I will need to think about citizenship for my 3 weeks old at some point. Thanks.

northernbird Mar 14th 2009 1:03 am

Originally Posted by tabby (Post 7377104)
I have just printed the forms to register my son as a British Citzenship so we all have duel , only to discover that it $1044 + $113 once the have agreed to reister him :curse:

Thanks
Martin

As far as I am aware if you and your husband are british born he is automatically a british citizen. I don't think you need to register him just apply for a passport.

bridie Mar 14th 2009 1:19 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7377444)
As far as I am aware if you and your husband are british born he is automatically a british citizen. I don't think you need to register him just apply for a passport.

i just got DD a passport, didnt need to register her as we are both british citizens... I *think* it goes on what the father is but you need to check out their website.

JAJ Mar 14th 2009 1:55 am

Originally Posted by tabby (Post 7377104)

Thanks
Martin

Only needed in special circumstances - eg parents British citizens by descent, or some cases with unmarried fathers.

Otherwise child is British already => just apply for a passport. See the wiki article:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...en_Born_Abroad

Pomster Mar 14th 2009 3:10 am

our daughter was born here in Aus, when we were both citizens.

We are also both Brits but Mr P was not born in UK so cannot pass his "Britishness" on to our daughter. However as I am a Brit born in Britain, she could get a passport via me.

All I had to do was complete a form for her, send off my UK passport, plus other docs, to BHC in Canberra, pay passport fee and she is now a Brit.

Not sure who/why you are being quoted so much. Think we paid 150ish bucks for passport and 15 for photos!

tabby Mar 14th 2009 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 7377679)

We are also both Brits but Mr P was not born in UK so cannot pass his "Britishness" on to our daughter. However as I am a Brit born in Britain, she could get a passport via me.

All I had to do was complete a form for her, send off my UK passport, plus other docs, to BHC in Canberra, pay passport fee and she is now a Brit.

Not sure who/why you are being quoted so much. Think we paid 150ish bucks for passport and 15 for photos!

Thanks eveyone , i have just applied for the passport $171 :thumbsup: much better , was not asked for our passports tho' just birth certs

Thanks again

Martin

ozzieeagle Mar 14th 2009 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 7377679)

Yehp all my kids, were born here, my Wife is Aussie, yet my kids can apply for British passports. The only one that has to apply for British citizenship... if she wanted to... is my wife.

Only my 23 year old Daughter has a current UK passport, and thats because she is presently living in the UK.