Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British citizenship for our baby?

British citizenship for our baby?

Old Sep 1st 2003, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Mubo_Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizenship for our baby?

Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma and would like opinions! We've been here 6 years, very happy and can't see us ever moving back to the UK, except maybe for a 6 month working holiday.

We have a 9 month old baby who is an Aussie citizen. I set about the process of registering her as a British citizen by descent (through me) as well so that when she is older she has options for travel etc. Then I find out it costs over $400! I think we will go ahead and do it but I wonder whether we should let it go and then if she ever wants to live in the UK she can get residency in the UK anyway through the patriality option.

What did (or will) you guys do for your children born in Australia? Do you feel it is important for your children to have dual citizenship? The only difference I can think of between citizenship and residency is that citizenship cannot be taken away but they can always change the rules for residency.

Rachael
Old Sep 1st 2003, 11:35 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship for our baby?

Originally posted by Mubo_Guy
Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma and would like opinions! We've been here 6 years, very happy and can't see us ever moving back to the UK, except maybe for a 6 month working holiday.

We have a 9 month old baby who is an Aussie citizen. I set about the process of registering her as a British citizen by descent (through me) as well so that when she is older she has options for travel etc. Then I find out it costs over $400! I think we will go ahead and do it but I wonder whether we should let it go and then if she ever wants to live in the UK she can get residency in the UK anyway through the patriality option.

What did (or will) you guys do for your children born in Australia? Do you feel it is important for your children to have dual citizenship? The only difference I can think of between citizenship and residency is that citizenship cannot be taken away but they can always change the rules for residency.

Rachael
I would get it now to be sure, gives your child the option to live anywhere in Europe. A snip for $400.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

True - patriality only gives rights to reside in Britain. No use for the rest of Europe. British citizenship means all of Europe is open to her.

Could be the best present you ever give your daughter - particularly when she's doing the working holiday grand tour of Europe and all her Aussie friends can only work legally in the UK!
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

I would get it - $400 seems like a lot now but it's a great investment (for future work or travel in UK and Europe).

Both our boys (born here) have UK citizenship. It's very straight-forward process to get UK citizenship and passports from the British High Commission in Canberra.

British High Commission
1902 941 555
(02 9520 2105)

General Info
1900 920 273

Get permanent citizenship for yourselves as soon as you can then the whole family can have fun juggling passports when travelling

AndyH
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:20 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mubo_Guy
Hi all,

Rachael
Both our boys born abroad. Both were NOT registered with the Brit Embassy here (this is unnecessary and as you say costs something) but I did get them UK passports. These cost the same as any UK passport and all you have to do is show the birth certificate and your own UK passport. Registration now means absolutely zilch in legal terms as they are entitled to UK citizenship whether you register them or not.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Mubo_Guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Both our boys born abroad. Both were NOT registered with the Brit Embassy here (this is unnecessary and as you say costs something) but I did get them UK passports. These cost the same as any UK passport and all you have to do is show the birth certificate and your own UK passport. Registration now means absolutely zilch in legal terms as they are entitled to UK citizenship whether you register them or not.
Cool! Thanks for that heads up, will give it a go! I did not know that you could get the passports without getting the child registered first. I may as well get my own passport renewed at the same time as it expired recently.

Thanks everyone else - you've really convinced me that this will be a great pressie for my daughter.

Rachael