Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Citizen In Canada Wants To Move To Australia

British Citizen In Canada Wants To Move To Australia

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

serveboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question British Citizen In Canada Wants To Move To Australia

Well, I am sick and tired of Canada. This is my last winter here. I don't think I can make it through another one; I can barely make it through this one. I'm finishing up high school. I run an internet business that pays for my living. It also allows me to live anywhere in the world. I've never lived/been to England but I do have British citizenship from my mother. I was thinking about moving to southern USA where the weather is nice. USA is very similar to Canada so there would be no adjustments. I want to be more adventurous though and discover somewhere new. I'm strongly considering spending maybe 6 months in Australia when school wraps up in June. If I like it maybe extending my stay indefinitely.

Well, to the questions.

1) What kind of status I am looking at when getting into Australia? Visa?
2) What kind of accomodations am I looking at for a six month stay?
3) Other than Sydney and Melbourne, what are some other major cities in Australia? If it's on the coast even better.

A factor in me moving to Australia (and the consideration in moving to the USA) is that tennis is pretty developed there. I am a young guy, one of the top players in Canada. I'm tired of training here though. I'm tired of living here. I imagine club/coaching rates are much cheaper in cities other than Sydney and Melbourne. Please take that into consideration in suggesting a city.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 5:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizen In Canada Wants To Move To Australia

Originally Posted by serveboy
I'm strongly considering spending maybe 6 months in Australia when school wraps up in June. If I like it maybe extending my stay indefinitely.
Not something you can do unless you meet some very specific requirements. Your British passport is no more use than your Canadian one.

As a tourist for <3 months, an ETA will do - http://www.eta.immi.gov.au
Otherwise - http://www.immi.gov.au

You cannot work as a tourist.

3) Other than Sydney and Melbourne, what are some other major cities in Australia? If it's on the coast even better.
I hate to sound flippant, but if you look at a map or atlas of Australia, you'll get more information than any forum can give you.

If you don't qualify to migrate to Australia, have you thought of using your British passport to live in southern Europe?

Jeremy
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 7:29 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

ETA as Jeremy has said. Possibly a WHV if you meet the restrictions also.

Depends what type you want!!!

Most places in Australia are on the coast. Brisbane, Perth, Darwin, Cairns, Adelaide are all on, or very close.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 8:44 pm
wombat42

Well, I am sick and tired of Canada. This is my last winter here. I don't think I can make it through another one; I can barely make it through this one. I'm finishing up high school. I run an internet business that pays for my living. It also allows me to live anywhere in the world. I've never lived/been to England but I do have British citizenship from my mother. I was thinking about moving to southern USA where the weather is nice. USA is very similar to Canada so there would be no adjustments. I want to be more adventurous though and discover somewhere new. I'm strongly considering spending maybe 6 months in Australia when school wraps up in June. If I like it maybe extending my stay indefinitely.

Well, to the questions.

A factor in me moving to Australia (and the consideration in moving to the USA) is that tennis is pretty developed there. I am a young guy, one of the top players in Canada. I'm tired of training here though. I'm tired of living here. I imagine club/coaching rates are much cheaper in cities other than Sydney and Melbourne. Please take that into consideration in suggesting a city.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
What about the Gold Coast if you want surf and sun,compared to Canada's cold winters. l think they have some good tennis facilities there.

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:31 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you don't qualify to migrate to Australia, have you thought of using your British passport to live in southern Europe?

Jeremy
If he is that crash hot at tennis, what about the visa they have for talented people, which I'm guessing includes sports?

Last edited by renth; Jan 22nd 2005 at 11:32 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 2:22 am
chester to adelaide soon

scranty is an unknown quantity at this point

cant believe im moving to oz in april and leaving the ashes behind in 05!
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Woah, so much info. Thanks!

I thought Australia was pretty welcoming of new residents/citizens. Do they only want you if you have something to offer? I just want to move to a better life.

Which of those cities would you say has the least precipitation?
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 1:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Woah, so much info. Thanks!

I thought Australia was pretty welcoming of new residents/citizens. Do they only want you if you have something to offer? I just want to move to a better life.

Which of those cities would you say has the least precipitation?
Try and think realistically about this. Why would any country want to accept immigrants that do not offer the country anything. Many many people want to migrate here, the country has the right to choose who it would like to accept.

As for the precipitation :

www.bom.gov.au

has more weather info than you can shake a stick at - have a wander through the site.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Well, I am self-employed. I know a lot about computer technology. Would that be a factor?

http://www.ozflights.co.uk/ozclim.htm

Looking at that I'd say my number one choice is Brisbane. The others look a bit chilly in winter. Any of you guys living in Brisbane?

Last edited by serveboy; Jan 23rd 2005 at 1:58 pm.