Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Chocolate

Wikiposts

British Chocolate

Old May 30th 2004, 12:27 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future
Default British Chocolate

I've been in Oz for 18 months now and the one thing i missed the most from Blighty was decent chocolate...

I am now happy to say i have found a place in Sydney which sells the stuff....

ANyone feel the same? Try looking on the first floor of the harbourside shopping centre in Darling Harbour....

ANyone else miss anything matterial and found a place to get it from?
Old May 30th 2004, 12:35 am
ABCDiamond

There is a great little sweet shop in Leura in the Blue Mountains. It's where I used to get my Terry's Dark Chocolate Oranges.

The Mall
A walk down The Mall, with its vast number of tea houses, gift shops, restaurants and cafes, is like nothing else in the Blue Mountains. If there is an up market area of the mountains then Leura is it. The Candy Store is an old-time lolly shop with over 1000 jars of sweets.
http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/NSWLeura.shtml

But I am getting used to the local chocolate now
especially Jaffa's

Old May 30th 2004, 1:39 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: British Chocolate

Originally posted by jjonboy
Anyone else miss anything material and found a place to get it from?
Especially: decent cider (better than the not-bad-but-not-good Tazzy stuff the name of which escapes me), proper yeast extract (not adulterated with malt extract or sugar), Grape Nuts, dried flageolet beans (I've sourced just about all the other beans but strangely these only seem available in tins), er, the list goes on and I'm not even there yet! Oh, and it would help if it was in Melbourne.

(I know I've brought these up before but we get new people joining every day, or so it seems.)

Thanks
Old May 30th 2004, 2:09 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
There is a great little sweet shop in Leura in the Blue Mountains. It's where I used to get my Terry's Dark Chocolate Oranges.

especially Jaffa's
Spotted some Terrys Dark Choc oranges in Myers Food Hall, Melbourne, about 2 weeks ago. Price seemed exorbitant - about $12 each I think.

Luckily have managed to wean myself off the damn things.

Anya.
Old May 30th 2004, 6:33 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

You make me weep. I'm balling my eyes out. So sad, yes, so sad to think this way. Life ain't worth living if in Australia you can't get rubbish British chocolate (generally acknowledged to be an extremely poor example of chocolate the world over.)
Old May 30th 2004, 6:36 am
ceinwen

I prefer Aussie chocolate and Mac Donalds !!!!!!!!!!!
But probebly due to being brought up on the stuff .

Old May 30th 2004, 6:52 am
mickj

Dawn french.....its not terry's, its mine

Originally posted by anya4oz
Spotted some Terrys Dark Choc oranges in Myers Food Hall, Melbourne, about 2 weeks ago. Price seemed exorbitant - about $12 each I think.

Luckily have managed to wean myself off the damn things.

Anya.

Old May 30th 2004, 9:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie chocolate is much nicer! Well, just personally speaking, but then its not quite as sweet as the British stuff, which I always found too sweet for me.

Cider is a definite yearning though, Mercury (the Tassie stuff) is good, but not a patch on the real thing. I long for some Dry Blackthorn, and as for good old scrumpy.........
Used to live near Lewes in Sussex, theres a fab place there called Middle Farm which does hundreds of different varieties of cider, and of cheese. Now THAT is a place I seriously miss!
Old May 30th 2004, 9:59 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pollyana
Aussie chocolate is much nicer! Well, just personally speaking, but then its not quite as sweet as the British stuff, which I always found too sweet for me.
I think people got the wrong end of the stick. I can't imagine anyone was mourning the lack of English chocolate (Bournville being no better than Dove), more the lack of good chocolate that happened to be available in England. Belgian and Swiss for example. And I don't mean the ***ing cr***y over-rated Lindt stuff. I mean stuff like Menier, excellent and not easy to get even in England.

Cider is a definite yearning though, Mercury (the Tassie stuff) is good
That's the stuff, thank you for filling in my mental blank!

but not a patch on the real thing. I long for some Dry Blackthorn
Um, each to their own, I suppose. Give me a decent single variety cider like Dabinett; still, more than anything else I mourn the passing of Addlestone's which was far and away the best commercial cider I ever tasted. If I can manage to make home-brew that good I'll be a very happy bunny indeed (um, I suppose one has to say something a little different in Oz, very happy possum perhaps?)
Old May 30th 2004, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

especially Jaffa's

Can you get hold of JAFFA CAKES? I was watching an English programme the other day and the guy bit into a juicy looking Jaffa. Now I want some

I actually find the choccy over here pretty similar to the British stuff. There is a lovely Belgian chocolatiers in Caloundra which has gorgeous chocs. It is ironically run by an Engliah woman!
Old May 30th 2004, 1:47 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

saw some jaffa cakes in rockingham city shopping centre. There is a british shop there. they sell ready brek but its about $8 a box.seemed a bit expensive to me!

I must admit I dont miss uk chocolate..the stuff i can get here is fine....unfortunately!!!! i was hoping that i wouldnt like it!

what i do miss is online shopping though...not available here in Port kennedy yet.....
Old May 30th 2004, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Yvsie you and your on line shopping
Old May 30th 2004, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Went to a British shop on Saturday expecting to want to buy heaps but found there was nothing I really fancied. Good for the pocket! My daughter bought a tube of Smarties ($1.30), a can of Dr Pepper and a 6 pack of Penguins ($2.95). Couldn't believe they were selling Aunt Bessies frozen Yorkshire puds for about $8 a packet, Jaffa cakes were about $6. Not missing anything at the moment, oh, except maybe Tescos & M&S ready made meals, but it's surprising how quickly you adapt. Had some Walkers crisps not long ago, didn't enjoy them half as much as I thought I would so won't bother again.

loopy
Old May 30th 2004, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the Aussie bars of chocolate tasted different when we first arrived in 2002, but I can't say I notice any difference now.

I found some Jaffa Cakes in a supermarket here some months ago. They were ok, but I'd rather have an Aussie Tim Tam any day!!

On hubby's recent trip back to England, he returned with a box of Ready Brek for the kids and a packet of Farley's Rusks. I haven't seen either here, and I'm blowed if I'm going to pay over the top to buy them from a British shop here, we'll manage without thanks! $8 for a box of cereal is dreadful, a similar size box of Cornflakes would be about $2.50. Even allowing for the postage costs, it does seem a rip-off. There's a candy store in Mandurah which stocks a small variety of British food, their prices are dreadful too.

You'll find that all those foods you first miss when you arrive here are soon forgotten. There are plenty of good Aussie cereals and other foods to choose from, it just takes a while trying them out and finding things you like. Nothing seems "familiar" at first, that's the trouble, you're in a strange country and don't know anyone, and everything at the supermarket looks odd. There are plenty of British foods readily available that the Aussies eat as much as we do. But you need to experiment a little when you get here and start shopping, try a different food item each week, get the kids to ask their new friends what snacks they like, enjoy what's available here and stop pining after what isn't!
Old May 30th 2004, 2:17 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i know joanne!!!...
there is one company(cant remember name doh) that will deliver to my area but very expensive and only delivers on tues and fridays or something daft!

although i do admit that supermarket shopping isnt as stressful as in the uk. at least the checkout people pack your groceries for you..not as in the uk when you feel as if you should get out of the way as quick as possible!!!

oh well i wait patiently for woollies to begin delivering in my area!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.