Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Airways baggage allowance.

British Airways baggage allowance.

Old May 21st 2007, 1:07 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default British Airways baggage allowance.

Ive read plenty about SA and their migrant allowances, but because of the price difference, I have had to book BA for our flights. (BA/Qantas)

They give 23kg pp normal allowance, but I cant find anything about migrant allowances or similar. I rang the airline and he didnt think they had an extra allowance any more because he couldnt find anything on his computer.

Does anybody have any info ?

Thanks

Paul,
Old May 21st 2007, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Airways baggage allowance.

Originally Posted by furkew
Ive read plenty about SA and their migrant allowances, but because of the price difference, I have had to book BA for our flights. (BA/Qantas)

They give 23kg pp normal allowance, but I cant find anything about migrant allowances or similar. I rang the airline and he didnt think they had an extra allowance any more because he couldnt find anything on his computer.

Thanks

Paul,
I don't know if they do extra luggage allowance or not, but make sure you get it in writing if they say they do, just in case!.
Old May 21st 2007, 1:13 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I don't know if they do extra luggage allowance or not, but make sure you get it in writing if they say they do, just in case!.
Hi Wendy,

I know. I was planning first of all finding out if they do it before mailing, but I was definitely going to get it in writing to save hassle at the airport.
Old May 21st 2007, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

lucivaryaslana is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

My wife is training as Cabin crew part time in the evenings and she says that the allowance is the same whether you are migrating or not. The only way to get extra over is to ship it or to pay excess baggage which she doesn't advise.

Hope that helps
Old May 21st 2007, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ritish+airways

Also I've just thought, the migrants allowance is only for people with a PR unused visa, so I doubt you'd get it anyway whoever you use. Although Singaporeair usually give you an extra 5 - 10kg's

Have you looked into using excess baggage?
Old May 21st 2007, 1:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Paul,
BA - no extra allowance. I won't post the rest of my opinion of them out of respect to the poster whose wife is training there......... Sorry
Old May 21st 2007, 2:27 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by Pollyana
BA - no extra allowance. I won't post the rest of my opinion of them out of respect to the poster whose wife is training there......... Sorry
Hi Polly,

I will only be flying BA from Amsterdam to Heathrow, and the rest Qantas which seem to be "ok"

(your post in 2005 http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ritish+airways )

Last edited by furkew; May 21st 2007 at 2:30 pm.
Old May 21st 2007, 2:28 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by Wendy
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ritish+airways

Also I've just thought, the migrants allowance is only for people with a PR unused visa, so I doubt you'd get it anyway whoever you use. Although Singaporeair usually give you an extra 5 - 10kg's

Have you looked into using excess baggage?
I know Wendy, but there are a few crafty ones that have got away with some careful wording

If you dont try you will never know.

Looks like no extra baggage then.

I'll just have to buy all new things when I arrive

Last edited by furkew; May 21st 2007 at 2:31 pm.
Old May 21st 2007, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

lucivaryaslana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm sorry, I should have made myself a bit clearer, she is taking a vocational qualification at college in the evening, she (thankfully) hasnt signed up for an airline yet as she still has to complete her degree course and pass the exam for the college course. She says that she has heard horror stories about BA and Virgin and wouldn't worked there id the fate of the planet depended on it
Old May 21st 2007, 5:17 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Paul,
Paul,

the other thing to remember: BA (when flying to Oz) only allow ONE piece of luggage into the hold [Maximum dimensions: (H+W+L): 158cm (62in)].

If you have two suitcases, say one with 15kgs and the other one with 8kgs (i.e. 23 kgs in total) you will be charged £120 extra by BA (that's for flights to Oz).

The above info is all on their web site.

Gina
Old May 21st 2007, 5:36 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Paul,

the other thing to remember: BA (when flying to Oz) only allow ONE piece of luggage into the hold [Maximum dimensions: (H+W+L): 158cm (62in)].

If you have two suitcases, say one with 15kgs and the other one with 8kgs (i.e. 23 kgs in total) you will be charged £120 extra by BA (that's for flights to Oz).

The above info is all on their web site.

Gina
Hi Gina,

I did notice that bit on the site. Not very helpful, but ill live with it.

Paul.
Old May 21st 2007, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

daveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: British Airways baggage allowance.

Because we validated our visas in December, we have lost our 40kg allowance with Singapore Air, but as a gesture of good will, they have given us an extra 10gk each, so 60kg in total. Well chuffed

Daveandkathh/Airconkid
Old May 21st 2007, 5:57 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by daveandkathh
Because we validated our visas in December, we have lost our 40kg allowance with Singapore Air, but as a gesture of good will, they have given us an extra 10gk each, so 60kg in total. Well chuffed

Daveandkathh/Airconkid
every little helps.

Unfortunately BA seem to think otherwise about customer relations
Old May 21st 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone tell me if you book a package of flights to Aus.
eg we will fly with BA to Heathrow to connect to Singapore Airlines.

So they should let us have the 2 bags that Singapore Airlines allow? Due to all flight being booked together as package.
Can anyone tell me if this is right?

I read something on BA website about them having to go with higher baggage allowance of other flights.

GEMS
Old May 21st 2007, 7:12 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by Gems
Can someone tell me if you book a package of flights to Aus.
eg we will fly with BA to Heathrow to connect to Singapore Airlines.

So they should let us have the 2 bags that Singapore Airlines allow? Due to all flight being booked together as package.
Can anyone tell me if this is right?

I read something on BA website about them having to go with higher baggage allowance of other flights.

GEMS
On the BA site, it states the baggage allowance is the allowance allocated by the first carrier, but you will not be able to book BA & SA and get the 40kg allowance.

SA is not an allied carrier for BA, so BA will allow 23kg and no more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.