Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Britain in danger of becoming as much of a nanny state as OZ

Britain in danger of becoming as much of a nanny state as OZ

Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:47 am
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Britain in danger of becoming as much of a nanny state as OZ

Another example of the New Labour nanny state.

Soon we will be just like the police state in Oz, where you cannot even have a bottle of wine with the Mrs on a picnic in a public place, without a copper telling you to pour it away.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4389598.stm

Last edited by eatstatic; Oct 30th 2005 at 10:50 am.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:52 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Britain in danger of becoming as much of a nanny state as OZ

Originally Posted by eatstatic

Soon we will be just like the police state in Oz, where you cannot even have a bottle of wine with the Mrs on a picnic in a public place, without a copper telling you to pour it away.

Go on, smile for us you messenger of doom.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:59 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

How is it a good thing that people can drink on Trains? its not necessary at all , if you cant go without a beer for 1 or 2 hours then try the AA (not the motoring org).

Getting a train back from the City on a friday (or any night) after 8pm was full of drinking pissed up stinky people and not a pleasant experience.

This isnt about a nanny state its about protecting people from other people who cannot behave with any decency or consideration for others, its called society.
I'd have been happier if they'd banned people eating Burger King (why oh why is there a burger king at Waterloo) or even better, brought bag flogging for people who eat with their mouth open noisily sat opposite you in a train carriage. Bastards. :scared:

Last edited by spalen; Oct 30th 2005 at 11:04 am.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:25 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

I've been drinking what I like where I like in ths country for 30 years...

At least youv'e had the decency to go back where you are loved & appreciated.

Your link is about as relevant to Oz as the price of lettuce in Paraguay, but keep posting, don't be discouraged
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:23 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic, does anyone know who won the conservative leadership elections? Back on topic, I can't see labour winning after Blair leaves and that other oath getting the job. As for drinking in public for my two pennies worth you should be allowed but be made accountable for your actions. for example, drink a bit and behave then all is well, drink too much and behave badly then by all means punish the idiot and if he should injur himself in the proccess then he doesn't get treated by the NHS. As with all this nanny state rubbish, both countries have it and it was a big push factor for me leaving the UK, BUT I could never in my most wildest dreams have realised that Australia was at least ten times worse! What ever happend to the notion that an individual should be responsible for there own actions?

And before all you PC libertarians shout foul and protest about having to protect the many from the individual fool, just make the foolish ones suffer by making their right to societies niceties null and void. So if you speed crash and injur yourself, insurance doesn’t payup, NHS won’t treat you and you can’t get a new car. If you smoke and get ill from it once again you don’t get treated etc etc. once again before anyone slags me off for not wanting to treat smoker cancer sufferer, set a date in stone like today and any future smokers don’t get treated. (2 of my family have died from lung cancer, but they knew the risks and they knew what was causing them problems)

Crikey I must be bored.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:29 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
I've been drinking what I like where I like in ths country for 30 years...

At least youv'e had the decency to go back where you are loved & appreciated.

Your link is about as relevant to Oz as the price of lettuce in Paraguay, but keep posting, don't be discouraged
Ah the land of the rednecked man with his beloved tinny in hand, looking real macho as he slaps his bitch for talking about something other than quilting. Whats this as he discards the bottle in the creek? A bottle of lite pisswater pretending to be beer, Oh the irony because he was just pretending to be a man. That wasn't aimed at you gogdownunder by the way, just an observation I've made here in redneck city. :scared:
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

Arkon,I presume you wont be staying in Oz very long? It sounds like you really dislike the place and cannot wait to get back to the UK.

Anyway, I have never had the urge to crack open a bottle of wine or Lager on public transport, but maybe I'm not normal!!
Old Oct 30th 2005, 4:57 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=arkon]Slightly off topic, does anyone know who won the conservative leadership elections? [QUOTE]

Hi Arkon,

Current news coverage suggests that majority of conservative party members will vote for David Cameron.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4389480.stm

Cheers,

Nicky
Old Oct 30th 2005, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spalen
How is it a good thing that people can drink on Trains? its not necessary at all , if you cant go without a beer for 1 or 2 hours then try the AA (not the motoring org).

Getting a train back from the City on a friday (or any night) after 8pm was full of drinking pissed up stinky people and not a pleasant experience.

This isnt about a nanny state its about protecting people from other people who cannot behave with any decency or consideration for others, its called society.
I'd have been happier if they'd banned people eating Burger King (why oh why is there a burger king at Waterloo) or even better, brought bag flogging for people who eat with their mouth open noisily sat opposite you in a train carriage. Bastards. :scared:

Absolutely right!! I was on the tube yesterday at Rayners Lane, when a drunken twat clutching a tin of Stella jumped on board, with several more in a carrier bag, and started making an arsehole of himself. It's just not necessary. I'll have a tin of Stella of an evening but there's a time and a place.

This turd looked like he didn't have a job, so it leaves me wondering where he could possibly get the money from to get himself bladdered at 11 o'clock in the morning.

This is nothing to do with the nanny state, which quite rightly stated can go too far. This is part of attempting (it won't stop the already pissed) to protect the public from a small section of society who thinks it's OK to inflict their yobbo behaviour on others.

I always seem to sit next to the nutter on the train. It's much worse if the nutter is mullered. :scared:

Flash.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 8:18 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
I was on the tube yesterday at Rayners Lane, when a drunken twat clutching a tin of Stella jumped on board...
I object to being called a twat - and for your information, it was Heineken Export, not Stella.

Oh and who'd have taken Arkon for a Tory voter ... not me, no sir ....

Old Oct 30th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch
I object to being called a twat - and for your information, it was Heineken Export, not Stella.

Heh heh. Brilliant. Definately Stella, 'cos you offered me a swig.

I particularly enjoyed your after shave. Eu de Pungent. And I can only describe your dentist as blind.

Was your left leg really as it appeared to be; 3 inches shorter than the right?

Finally, I have some friends from Glasgow and I'm sure the Pronunciation of "**** arf, yerr ******' ****** afore ahh belt yers in thar bollogs nau" generally doesn't cause the veins in the ranter's neck to stick out so much.

Thanks for a peasant, err pleasant experience. We must to it again sometime.

Flash.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

The way that I read it is this. Why should a few drunkern yobs force the rest of the public to sit on a long train journey say form Edinburgh to London to not enjoy a glass of wine or two?

Where does this nannying end? Put speed bumps on motorways to deter speeding drivers, ban the sale of steel cutlery in case it is used as a weapon, ban the sale of bleach in case someone drinks it?

On regular trips to mainland Europe I am always impressed by the way government doesnt nanny the population, especially over Drinking alcohol. The time I spent in Australia warned me of the dangers of an overbearing beauracratic Government that dictated peoples lives in unneccesarily petty ways.

I will never forget the 12 hour Broken hill to Sydney train journey when whilst sitting in the smoking carriage the Guard demanded to smell of bottle of Coke a fellow passenger was drinking to see if it contained any Liquor! The guy was sober and had no reason to be humiliated in such a way. Is that really what we want in Britain?

Banning people drinking on trains is pathetic, it does not stop the idiots that are already legless from creating misery for fellow passengers.

Last edited by eatstatic; Oct 30th 2005 at 10:01 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:32 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

There's no need for booze on trains, planes or any other automobiles. If you can't go a few hours without a beer then you're pretty sad.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by diddy
There's no need for booze on trains, planes or any other automobiles. If you can't go a few hours without a beer then you're pretty sad.
Resorting to personal insults, now thats a surprise for Expats!

Why not go to your logical conclusion and ban Alcohol form Restaurants, Hotels, Music venues, after all if you cant go without a drink in these places, you must be sad.

I am glad people with your attitude are leaving the UK, too many anally retentative people here, go to Oz you will fit right it.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:47 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch

If blair were running again he would get my vote. Best tory leader since Thatcher IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.