British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Brit hairdressers are the best!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/brit-hairdressers-best-262320/)

tinaj Oct 26th 2004 9:22 am

Brit hairdressers are the best!!

This is my 4th trip to the hairdressers over here and at last I have a funky, modern new cut (and for only $19.95 as well). The reason? A lovely lass from Notts cut it. Thank God for the WHV is all I can say, I was beginning to wonder if any Aussie hairdresser knew how to do razoring or feathering - blokes switch off as you have not got a clue what this means :D I also splashed out and got a few foils done and got great service as well.

My only worry is that she only has a temporary visa, though she aims to stay on for another 4 years :( what will I do if she goes?

Deb Oct 26th 2004 9:28 am

Re: Brit hairdressers are the best!!

Originally Posted by tinaj
This is my 4th trip to the hairdressers over here and at last I have a funky, modern new cut (and for only $19.95 as well). The reason? A lovely lass from Notts cut it. Thank God for the WHV is all I can say, I was beginning to wonder if any Aussie hairdresser knew how to do razoring or feathering - blokes switch off as you have not got a clue what this means :D I also splashed out and got a few foils done and got great service as well.

My only worry is that she only has a temporary visa, though she aims to stay on for another 4 years :( what will I do if she goes?

Pleased to hear you eventually found a hairdresser you like...
From what I have read on here, good hairdressers seem hard to find..
I am currently applying to emigrate, waiting for requests for meds, I am a hairdresser but unfortunatly I am hoping to settle in Perth..

If your hairdresser does go home, why not put a thread in the forum, I understand there are quite a few hairdressers emigrated to Oz and not all of them moving to Perth...

Good luck Tina
Hope your hairdresser stops on, seems daft really when they are crying out for good hairdressers..

Deb... :)

Siren & Brian Oct 26th 2004 9:33 am

I've simply decided that growing my hair long is the option at the mo.

Better for summer anyway. Ponytails and easy fluff dry out of the pool/ocean. The last thing I need right now is a hairstyle that requires blowdrying to look right.

Siren

HiddenPaw Oct 26th 2004 9:34 am

I hope she stays for your sake! The hairdressers in Oz seem to be pretty transient folk. I used to go to Toni&Guy in SOuth Yarra (melbourne). The first (Aussie) girl who did my highlights had gone off to Europe the second time I went in. So I had another Aussie girl do them. When I went back again, she too had disappeared off to Europe for a couple of years. The third girl who did them was Irish on a temp visa. The guy who cut my hair in there was English, on a temp visa. Let's hope your hairdresser gets a visa extension!

Quinkana Oct 26th 2004 12:09 pm

Wandering down Old South Head Road, eschewing several $30 offers (and one $45) for a clip and zip of my depleted but woolly locks, fetching up at Dover Depths, a Jewish Madam, clearly a keen and quick judge of a customer parsimony, made the winning quote of $20. Following cursory instruction from the chief apprentice, the Irish WHV clip-mistress, in 10 minutes, produced as good a job as I can look forward to this side of the mortuary door.

Still, I think I'll stick to the usual $10 every 6 months whether I need it or not.

mr mover Oct 26th 2004 12:13 pm

I dont have hair ;) ..... :beer: mm

68MEVY Oct 26th 2004 8:11 pm

I am a hairdresser and will hopefully be in Queensland by August. So if anyone is settling probably in Mahloolah or surrounding area I would be glad of the business aswell as a little bit of English company-no offence to you ozzys but the amount of stress we put ourselves through to get to your country is unreal. Anyway, I have a business premises in mind that will be empty from Dec which gives me a few months over there before I have to crack on with the hard work.
You could always phone round hair salons too see if they have an English hairdresser working there, it doesn't matter if you feel daft doing this as no one will know who you are and if a salon does have a pomme they will be grateful for the custom. Not biased or anything but us english hairdressers are definately better :) ]

68MEVY Oct 26th 2004 8:13 pm

its me again, just realised you are in caloundra so you'll only be down the road!!!! I'm a good hairdresser........ honest!!!!!!

tonyk38 Oct 26th 2004 10:43 pm

I got my hair cut last year for the first time in 14 years! A friend took one and a half foot off it and it's still mid-way down my back! :D

CasG Oct 26th 2004 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I got my hair cut last year for the first time in 14 years! :D

Better hope nobody chops it off when you're asleep then !!:scared:

tonyk38 Oct 26th 2004 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Better hope nobody chops it off when you're asleep then !!:scared:

Wot you got planned! :eek: ;)

CasG Oct 26th 2004 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Wot you got planned! :eek: ;)

Don't worry - my bandage scissors are VERY sharp. :D
Now there is a reason to stay awake all night!! ;)

tonyk38 Oct 26th 2004 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Don't worry - my bandage scissors are VERY sharp. :D
Now there is a reason to stay awake all night!! ;)

!!

Right! Insomnia city for me then! :p

Go Banana's !! Oct 27th 2004 12:01 am

Totally agree on this one. I'm in the Northern Suburbs of Perth and travel to Cotteslow to get my barnet done, the girl trained in London! She can do razor and feathering and is actually better than my hairdresser in the UK!!

Jill

paul&sharon Oct 27th 2004 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Totally agree on this one. I'm in the Northern Suburbs of Perth and travel to Cotteslow to get my barnet done, the girl trained in London! She can do razor and feathering and is actually better than my hairdresser in the UK!!

Jill

i have to agree, british hairdressers are the best, i have read so many nightmare stories on here it is really scary,slowly,slowly we are coming over but not quick enough for me,holiday feb 2005, the move early 2006 can't wait, if you find a good hairdresser hang on to them. anyway lets here more cheers sharon (needing to be there)
:)