Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brissie Suburbs for commute to Gold Coast

Brissie Suburbs for commute to Gold Coast

Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Question Brissie Suburbs for commute to Gold Coast

I need to possibly commute to GC. Bit too far from The Gap where I am ATM. Thinking of Red Hill or going other side of the city. Also need easy access to train into Brissie as non driving daughter. Know issues with South suburbs but wondered if any were better than others.

All info appreciated!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice
Default Re: Brissie Suburbs for commute to Gold Coast

I do it the other way and its a right pain, which part of the GC?

Surely the rule would be "further south and closer to the freeway the better?", of course if it were me I'd jump at the chance of a move to the Gold Coast.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by coldbeer
I do it the other way and its a right pain, which part of the GC?

Surely the rule would be "further south and closer to the freeway the better?", of course if it were me I'd jump at the chance of a move to the Gold Coast.
May end up there eventually but too many evening commitments in Brissie ATM
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seabird
I need to possibly commute to GC. Bit too far from The Gap where I am ATM. Thinking of Red Hill or going other side of the city. Also need easy access to train into Brissie as non driving daughter. Know issues with South suburbs but wondered if any were better than others.

All info appreciated!
Directly south is quite similar to directly north if you mean south in general is a problem?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fish.01
Directly south is quite similar to directly north if you mean south in general is a problem?
More interested in which Southern suburbs are the better ones - have a reasonable idea of this on the North.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Greenslopes, Tarragindi, Mt Gravatt, all okay and with immediate access to the freeway for the trip down the coast. If you're into the newer build suburbs like The Gap, Carindale is close to the Gateway entry and has newer style housing.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:59 pm
UK migrant now in Oz

jorgon will become famous soon enough

Hi Seabird

I live in the Western suburbs which is on the Ipswich train line, so there is easy access into the city for your daughter from for example Darra, Oxley, Corinda, Sherwood, Graceville, Chelmer. Also there are bus services to various places. Have a look at the Translink journey planner for timings. All nice places to live, some local shops and supermarkets and restaurants, with easy access by car to various shopping areas (Indooroopilly, Mount Ommaney etc.).

The drive to Southport on the Gold Coast takes one hour. This is against the traffic so it's a relaxed drive. However, this uses part of the Logan motorway which is a toll road and will cost roughly $8 a day (that's the total cost both ways). You could avoid the toll, but you would need to experiment to find a good route.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seabird
More interested in which Southern suburbs are the better ones - have a reasonable idea of this on the North.
Almost all of them within the Brisbane city council border are fine just meet different requirements depending on what you like. Logan can vary more, Daisy Hill is worth a look (and others). The good parts are more pocket based rather than whole suburbs and most suburbs have good parts. Another new build option with good freeway access to add to kims is wishart. The inner city has its more expensive suburbs (Coorparoo, Yeronga, Highgate Hill, Greenslopes, Holland park West, Norman Park) and the outer new build areas have theirs (Carindale, Wishart, Eight Mile plains, Robertson, Stretton). But again in most of these suburbs there are good and not as good pockets. Only Coorparoo and Norman Park have rail access but suburbs near the freeway have access to the south east busway with a dedicated high speed bus road.

Personally I'd choose Red Hill somewhere around Primrose or Arthur Tce as I love it

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 19th 2012 at 10:28 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fish.01
Almost all of them within the Brisbane city council border are fine just meet different requirements depending on what you like. Logan can vary more, Daisy Hill is worth a look (and others). The good parts are more pocket based rather than whole suburbs and most suburbs have good parts. Another new build option with good freeway access to add to kims is wishart. The inner city has its more expensive suburbs (Coorparoo, Yeronga, Highgate Hill, Greenslopes, Holland park West, Norman Park) and the outer new build areas have theirs (Carindale, Wishart, Eight Mile plains, Robertson, Stretton). But again in most of these suburbs there are good and not as good pockets. Only Coorparoo and Norman Park have rail access but suburbs near the freeway have access to the south east busway with a dedicated high speed bus road.

Personally I'd choose Red Hill somewhere around Primrose or Arthur Tce as I love it
Thanks for this. Will continue pondering Red Hill
Old Apr 21st 2012, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kim67
Greenslopes, Tarragindi, Mt Gravatt, all okay and with immediate access to the freeway for the trip down the coast. If you're into the newer build suburbs like The Gap, Carindale is close to the Gateway entry and has newer style housing.
All these suburbs are great, Carindale is the cheapest/easiest to rent in and has excellent buses to the city - as Kim says, getting on the freeway is a breeze from there. I live in Mt Gravatt and love it, but as an older suburb the quality of housing is poor and rents are sky high for what you get...