British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Brisbane's Public Transport? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/brisbanes-public-transport-111122/)

Ginny Sep 8th 2002 8:19 am

Brisbane's Public Transport?

Hi there,

Just curious to know if Brisbane has a good public transport system.

I know that the one we have here ain't all that great even though they keep saying 'Use the Bus!'.

I'm particularly interested in and around the coastal areas but any info on others would be great.

Cheers

Ginny:D

Robert Edwards Sep 8th 2002 6:12 pm

Re: Brisbane's Public Transport?

Brisbane has a relatively decent train system dependent on where you intend to live
and work of course (no where near as good as Melbourne and Sydney) and a somewhat
better coverage by the bus system, any ideas what general areas you are thinking of?

Rob

Ginny Sep 8th 2002 6:44 pm

Originally posted by Robert Edwards:
Brisbane has a relatively decent train system dependent on where you intend to live
and work of course (no where near as good as Melbourne and Sydney) and a somewhat
better coverage by the bus system, any ideas what general areas you are thinking of?

Rob

Hi there,

We're thinking about places that have been recommended on this forum, ie. Wellington Point, Alexandra Hills, Cleveland and surrounding areas. I was also wondering what the likes of Ascot and surrounding was like. We're nurses so close to hospitals would be nice but not necessary and also have two young children so schools as well. Budget is looking around $300,000 region. Any recommendations yourself?

Many thanks

Ginny

Robert Edwards Sep 9th 2002 12:39 am

Yes I have a recommendation......move to the Gold Coast where I am, $300K will buy
you a very nice home indeed and is 70 mins travel by train to the city, but
seriously Ascot is very nice though an older area. Sorry but I do not know of the
transport from Wellington Point area though those three suburbs you mention are all
quite nice, are you going on the recommendations of others or have you been out here
to have a squiz?

Rob

> Hi there,
    > We're thinking about places that have been recommended on this forum,
    > ie. Wellington Point, Alexandra Hills, Cleveland and surrounding areas. I was also
    > wondering what the likes of Ascot and surrounding was like. We're nurses so
    > close to hospitals would be nice but not necessary and also have two young
    > children so schools as well. Budget is looking around $300,000 region. Any
    > recommendations yourself?
    > Many thanks
    > Ginny
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Johnny Boy Sep 9th 2002 10:24 am

"Ginny" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there,
    > ie. Wellington Point, Alexandra Hills, Cleveland and surrounding areas. I was also

Hi Ginny,

Cleveland, Ormiston, Wellington Point, Birkdale and Thorneside have commuter rail
stations to the city in the bayside suburbs you mention - with Cleveland being the
farthest one out - a 50 minute train ride to Brisbane Central.

Being a nurse - if you get work at Princess Alexandra, or the Mater Hospitals your
train journey would even be shorter, only to Woolloongabba or Vulture Street stations
respectively (both on the Cleveland line).

Wesley Hospital, right next door to Auchenflower station is also commutable - but you
would have to change trains at Roma Street Station and get to Auchenflower on the
Ipswich line.

The Redlands own bus company - called (funnily enough) the "National Bus Company"
operates (in conjunction with Queensland Rail) a "Trainlink" service linking Capalaba
and Alexandra Hills with the railway stations in the area. Or alternatively just take
the bus all the way into the city.

Or hey - work at Redlands Hospital or Redlands Mater Hospital, both in Cleveland -
and forget about commuting altogether!

Plenty of great schools in the Redlands bayside area - both state and private.

$300,000 will get you a nice, near new four bedroom home in the Redlands bayside
(Birkdale, Wellington Point, Ormiston, or Cleveland), with double lock up garage
(internal access), and quite likely a swimming pool too. Houses are slightly cheaper
in Alexandra Hills and Capalaba mainly because they are more inland, only by 5 - 10
km, but enough to make a difference. Everyone wants to be near the water!

What a lot of people don't realise is that if you're close to the seaside in Brisbane
- you benefit from those cooling bay breezes in summer, which takes the edge of that
sometimes sweltering heat.

Hope I've helped a bit, Cheers, John

Ginny Sep 9th 2002 2:40 pm

Originally posted by Johnny Boy:
"Ginny" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there,

Hi Ginny,

Cleveland, Ormiston, Wellington Point, Birkdale and Thorneside have commuter rail
stations to the city in the bayside suburbs you mention - with Cleveland being the
farthest one out - a 50 minute train ride to Brisbane Central.

Being a nurse - if you get work at Princess Alexandra, or the Mater Hospitals your
train journey would even be shorter, only to Woolloongabba or Vulture Street stations
respectively (both on the Cleveland line).

Wesley Hospital, right next door to Auchenflower station is also commutable - but you
would have to change trains at Roma Street Station and get to Auchenflower on the
Ipswich line.

The Redlands own bus company - called (funnily enough) the "National Bus Company"
operates (in conjunction with Queensland Rail) a "Trainlink" service linking Capalaba
and Alexandra Hills with the railway stations in the area. Or alternatively just take
the bus all the way into the city.

Or hey - work at Redlands Hospital or Redlands Mater Hospital, both in Cleveland -
and forget about commuting altogether!

Plenty of great schools in the Redlands bayside area - both state and private.

$300,000 will get you a nice, near new four bedroom home in the Redlands bayside
(Birkdale, Wellington Point, Ormiston, or Cleveland), with double lock up garage
(internal access), and quite likely a swimming pool too. Houses are slightly cheaper
in Alexandra Hills and Capalaba mainly because they are more inland, only by 5 - 10
km, but enough to make a difference. Everyone wants to be near the water!

What a lot of people don't realise is that if you're close to the seaside in Brisbane
- you benefit from those cooling bay breezes in summer, which takes the edge of that
sometimes sweltering heat.

Hope I've helped a bit, Cheers, John
Thanks guys for the info. Yet more details I can add to my ever expanding file on Oz. Waiting patiently for the Visas now!

Thanks again

Ginny

Kangarubicon Sep 12th 2002 10:50 am

"Robert Edwards" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Brisbane has a relatively decent train system dependent on where you
intend
    > to live and work of course (no where near as good as Melbourne and Sydney) and a
    > somewhat better coverage by the bus system, any ideas what general areas you are
    > thinking of?
    > Rob

The Trains in Brisbane don't run as frequently as Sydney or Melbourne but the
conditions of the trains I can tell you are a dam sight better than Sydney. I can't
comment on Melbourne though.