Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbaneites - How much is your gym membership?

Brisbaneites - How much is your gym membership?

Old May 8th 2012, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

ScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbaneites - How much is your gym membership?

Hi all,

New to these parts

Quite out of the blue I've been approached with a job offer at the University of Queensland (St Lucia).

The Mrs and I (28 & 29, no kids) our about to submit our 457 visa with the aim of making the jump in June.

My question to any Brisbaneites is how much is your monthly gym membership?

We are looking at some nice apartments in the CBD or kangaroo point, some of which have well stocked gyms, while others do not. I am trying to gauge how important a gym is in our search.

Thanks for reading
Old May 8th 2012, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brisbaneites - How much is your gym membership?

I work at UQ and there is a gym on campus as well. But my membership at Fitness First is $39 every fortnight.
Old May 9th 2012, 12:11 am
Just Joined

ScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
I work at UQ and there is a gym on campus as well. But my membership at Fitness First is $39 every fortnight.
Thank you , I was thinking around the $150 a month mark for the two of us and so maybe a possible saving to be made by having a complex onsite.
Old May 9th 2012, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

monkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud of

there is a no frills chain called Jetts here , similar to puregym in the UK

www.jetts.com.au

for 2 of us on a pre paid 1 year membership we paid @ $350 each i think.

you can pay on a no contract monthly basis but it costs a bit more.

the facilities will vary from gym to gym depending on size and free weights are minimal due to safety and insurance but for the money it's pretty good.
Old May 9th 2012, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
I was paying that and then decided to cancel my membership. Straight away, they offered me a better rate and then I got another 2 phone calls and an email with better packages from them. I wanted to cancel anyway but it's worth trying to see if they offer a better deal for you
Old May 9th 2012, 6:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PENNY45
I was paying that and then decided to cancel my membership. Straight away, they offered me a better rate and then I got another 2 phone calls and an email with better packages from them. I wanted to cancel anyway but it's worth trying to see if they offer a better deal for you
I'm surprised they let you cancel. They are very well known for being a complete nightmare when it comes to cancelling memberships.
Old May 9th 2012, 8:32 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Just up the road in Toowoomba my membership is $64 a month, that's corporate rate, so it's pretty good!
Old May 9th 2012, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm surprised they let you cancel. They are very well known for being a complete nightmare when it comes to cancelling memberships.
Maybe they could see I went so infrequently that each visit cost me $80!
Old May 9th 2012, 9:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PENNY45
Maybe they could see I went so infrequently that each visit cost me $80!
Know three people who've had to close bank accounts and open new ones - being the only way to prevent FF from debiting their accounts each month after being asked repeatedly that they no longer want to be a member of a gym, wouldn't accept it, would only suggest they took a different package. Old poster on here had to move back to the UK because of Brain Cancer and the docs told him he only had a couple of months to live. FF wouldn't cancel the membership without a doctors certificate or death certificate. Wouldn't touch them with someone else's bargepole. Maybe they've changed their ways from the massive amount of bad publicity.
Old May 10th 2012, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Know three people who've had to close bank accounts and open new ones - being the only way to prevent FF from debiting their accounts each month after being asked repeatedly that they no longer want to be a member of a gym, wouldn't accept it, would only suggest they took a different package. Old poster on here had to move back to the UK because of Brain Cancer and the docs told him he only had a couple of months to live. FF wouldn't cancel the membership without a doctors certificate or death certificate. Wouldn't touch them with someone else's bargepole. Maybe they've changed their ways from the massive amount of bad publicity.
That's outrageous!! Never heard of such a thing, was it recent?

Maybe because I'd already been a member for over 12 months? Seems everything that you sign up for has to be for 12/24 months (tried and failed to get out of electricity contract).
Old May 10th 2012, 9:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Penny45

Maybe because I'd already been a member for over 12 months? Seems everything that you sign up for has to be for 12/24 months (tried and failed to get out of electricity contract).
One account closure and the Cancer one were a few years ago. The other account ones have been in the past 18 months. One of them had been a member for over two years. Like I say, maybe they've changed their tactics, there has been some really bad publicity about them over the years.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Penny45

Been quite a bit of talk about them over the years...I think the owner (british?) had "issues" in the uk as well.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Didn't hear anything but I've only been here this time for 20 months. I will count myself very lucky to have got out so easily then.

Bit like the Friends episode where Chandler can't cancel his membership so Ross goes with him and ends up signing up too !!
Old May 10th 2012, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by monkeyalan
there is a no frills chain called Jetts here , similar to puregym in the UK

www.jetts.com.au

for 2 of us on a pre paid 1 year membership we paid @ $350 each i think. you can pay on a no contract monthly basis but it costs a bit more. the facilities will vary from gym to gym depending on size and free weights are minimal due to safety and insurance but for the money it's pretty good.
That is really cheap! We currently pay £85 a month couples membership but for a gym with pool, sauna and classes etc. Still we only really use the classes and pool in the winter when it’s not too much fun to jog or cycle in the rain.

Cheers, I'll stay clear of FF.
Old May 11th 2012, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

We've just had a FF close down near us and they are still direct debiting people's account.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.