Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Working in the heat and earning potential ?

Brisbane - Working in the heat and earning potential ?

Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:19 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Brisbane - Working in the heat and earning potential ?

Originally Posted by folic
At the end of March -- Autumn

Summer ?
I'll check it for you next summer, but please remind me

The two temps, shade and Full Sun, should help to give a 'guide' of how it can differ.

Old Mar 30th 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Well, thanks so much for everyone's input.
I don't know what to say really ... but we'll have to think this one over. The decision might be made 'for us' actually, because as much as my other half is on the skills list he's missing vital quals so is going to battle to get in. Have to see how it goes. Wonderful place though Brisbane. I've just come back from holidaying there a few weeks ago and the heat wasn't too bad, however a few years ago I went also, and the heat that time was just stifling ... so yeah I think the summers vary somewhat. I've heard its much hotter round christmas than late feb though.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

hannash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevenick
its all about human beings, we're all different. i can work outside most of the time quite comfortabely in SE queensland. drive round without aircon, just widows open and live for the most part without aircon on at home. i work with some queenslander brickies and labourers who hate the summer heat, drive with aircon on, aircon on at home and think i'm a mad pommie bxxtard. so some would agree that things can be exaggerated but others wouldn't.
hey there stevenick,a wee q,im a bricklayer and to be honest brisbane is about the only place we would like to live if we move from uk in your experience do the brickies tend to leave site early and start early people say im not wise calling it an oven and all this ,do you think you get used to the heat
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Must admit, we haven't needed the Air Con very much at all this summer. We have been here in Brisbane Bayside for just over 5 years now.
whats a fizzer
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannash
hey there stevenick,a wee q,im a bricklayer and to be honest brisbane is about the only place we would like to live if we move from uk in your experience do the brickies tend to leave site early and start early people say im not wise calling it an oven and all this ,do you think you get used to the heat

You either like heat or you dont, if you dont anywhere in australia is going to be uncomfortably hot for a couple months of the year.

Right now in brisbane, its cool enought to wear flanno PJ's early morning and night, this year the worst of the heat already seems long gone.

Work, in summer its hot at 6am boiling by 7am, why would starting early make any difference, you start when the regulations allow you, usually not before 7am, leaving, depends on the amount of work on, it could be 3pm, it could be 6pm.

At the moment biggest worry would be could you find work as a bricklayer, not how hot it is.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

stevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nice

Originally Posted by hannash
Everyones Different mate, I do think you can adapt quite well as long as your a sun sort of person otherwise it might be difficult. start 6-6.30am and finish 2-2.30pm. The thing you can't get round is the humidity, if the humidity is not to bad it can be quite easy but you can wake up to high humidity and everyone finds it hard hammering bricks down all day. within 10 minutes of starting work you will be wet with sweat and you will be damp wet all day. try to work out of sun much as possible otherwise you'll be completely wiped out at end of day. summer is around 30-34 degrees most days unless you get a real hot summer.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

thanks for that, appreciate it