Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Working in the heat and earning potential ?

Brisbane - Working in the heat and earning potential ?

Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Brisbane - Working in the heat and earning potential ?

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Having lived in Brisbane for the last 10 years I can tlel you that the last couple of summers have been fizzers that havent really gone off so recent arrivals to the area may have an unreasonable impression of what a hto Brisbane summer can be like.
Must admit, we haven't needed the Air Con very much at all this summer. We have been here in Brisbane Bayside for just over 5 years now.

Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:34 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenick
quite happy to have a bet on that one!! thermometer in direct sunlight and whether it reaches 40 plus or not.
which way was your bet?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
which way was your bet?
My car thermometer read over 40.0c several times......stood on the driveway in the sun.

Don't know how accurate it is though.

G
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

stevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nice

which way was your bet?
it will go over 40 degrees, done it at work and my thermometer in garden in burpengary north brisbane was showing 47 in full sun but has dropped as sun has gone. i think it will go up and down depending on the sun being directly on it or a cloud passing over.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
My car thermometer read over 40.0c several times......stood on the driveway in the sun.

Don't know how accurate it is though.

G
Cars are like ovens, 40°C in a car left in the sun, is quite low.

Quote from RSPCA
The temperature inside a closed vehicle left in the sun can double within 12 minutes.
The temperature inside the vehicle can reach around 73°C, but the dog may be dead by the time the temperature reaches 55°C.

Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Cars are like ovens, 40°C in a car left in the sun, is quite low.

Quote from RSPCA
It was measuring the outside temperature.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
It isnt unusual to have a January where every day exceeds 35C and when thats coupled with high hummidity it can be crippling.
I actually think that would be highly unusual. I think at the end of a long hot summer it can feel that way though.

Figures for Brisbane Airport (so add on a couple of degrees for the city or leave em alone for Bayside):

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

January Avg Max; Max
2009 28 30
2008 27 30
2007 28 31
2006 29 30
2005 27 30
2004 29 35
2003 27 28
2002 29 35
2001 27 31
2000 27 37
1999 27 32
1998 28 32
1997 26 28

2004 was my first and I remember it as a stinker, but I know for sure it wouldn't have been every day in the month. It was a proper rainy season with almost daily storms as well.

As for the 300 days sunshine, well it doesn't mean 300 days of blue sky sunrise to sunset...it means 300days that aren't entirely cloudy. Many summer days start clear but cloud quickly builds up during the day.....and (hopefully) leads to a storm by afternoon - in some ways summer moderates itself - the vast majority of totally clear days will occur in winter.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

stevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
I actually think that would be highly unusual. I think at the end of a long hot summer it can feel that way though.

Figures for Brisbane Airport (so add on a couple of degrees for the city or leave em alone for Bayside):

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

January Avg Max; Max
2009 28 30
2008 27 30
2007 28 31
2006 29 30
2005 27 30
2004 29 35
2003 27 28
2002 29 35
2001 27 31
2000 27 37
1999 27 32
1998 28 32
1997 26 28

2004 was my first and I remember it as a stinker, but I know for sure it wouldn't have been every day in the month. It was a proper rainy season with almost daily storms as well.

As for the 300 days sunshine, well it doesn't mean 300 days of blue sky sunrise to sunset...it means 300days that aren't entirely cloudy. Many summer days start clear but cloud quickly builds up during the day.....and (hopefully) leads to a storm by afternoon - in some ways summer moderates itself - the vast majority of totally clear days will occur in winter.
true what you say but the figures don't take into consideration the humidity and that makes a vast difference to how hot it actually feels.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

true what you say but the figures don't take into consideration the humidity and that makes a vast difference to how hot it actually feels.
That's true....but I also think the humidity is sometimes exaggerated a bit too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT002970

In reality, the only time the humdity is 90% plus is when it's raining, in which case it's cloudy and cooler anyway.

It's just my perception of the climate....I don't see it as being as arduous as some people make out. I remember hearing once that Bundaberg was listed as one of the top 10 most agreeable climates in the world (based on temp, humidity, rainfall etc) - if climate made life so difficult I can't think why that would be the case.

And for measuring temperatures in the sun, well with most amateur equipment that probably tells you more about the materials the thermometer is made of than anything else. If I left a sheet of metal lying in the sun I could fry an egg on it, I couldn't do the same thing with a bricklayer.....well probably, never tried!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:02 am
ABCDiamond

An example of the heat in Brisbane:

(Using shade temperatures)

The Hottest day in January 2009 was 33.9°C on the 1st January

The temperatures recorded every 30 minutes were:

10:00 AM 29.0 °C
10:30 AM 30.0 °C
11:00 AM 30.0 °C
11:30 AM 30.0 °C
12:00 PM 30.0 °C
12:30 PM 31.0 °C
1:00 PM 30.0 °C
1:30 PM 30.0 °C
2:00 PM 29.0 °C
2:30 PM 29.0 °C
3:00 PM 29.0 °C
3:30 PM 29.0 °C
4:00 PM 29.0 °C

One must assume it spiked at 33.9 °C in between 12:00 and 1:00

Compare to the day before...

The Hottest day in December 2008 was 34.9°C on the 31st December

The temperatures recorded every 30 minutes were:

7:00 AM 26.0 °C
7:30 AM 27.0 °C
8:00 AM 29.0 °C
8:30 AM 31.0 °C
9:00 AM 32.0 °C
9:30 AM 32.0 °C
10:00 AM 32.0 °C
10:30 AM 33.0 °C
11:00 AM 32.0 °C
11:30 AM 33.0 °C
12:00 PM 33.0 °C
12:30 PM 33.0 °C
1:00 PM 33.0 °C
1:30 PM 33.0 °C
2:00 PM 34.0 °C
2:30 PM 33.0 °C
3:00 PM 33.0 °C
3:30 PM 32.0 °C
4:00 PM 31.0 °C
4:30 PM 30.0 °C
5:00 PM 30.0 °C
5:30 PM 29.0 °C
6:00 PM 28.0 °C

I think we can see that it spiked at 34.9 °C in between 1:30 and 2:30

Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

leave a thermometre in the sun at around 1-2pm at the weekend and leave it for five mins, I think you will be shocked by the results

So if I try that in melb or perth or when its 42 (or 48 a few days this year ) It would probably really be 65C

And people say melbourne is cold
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

its all about human beings, we're all different. i can work outside most of the time quite comfortabely in SE queensland. drive round without aircon, just widows open and live for the most part without aircon on at home. i work with some queenslander brickies and labourers who hate the summer heat, drive with aircon on, aircon on at home and think i'm a mad pommie bxxtard. so some would agree that things can be exaggerated but others wouldn't.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 5:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

its all about human beings, we're all different. i can work outside most of the time quite comfortabely in SE queensland. drive round without aircon, just widows open and live for the most part without aircon on at home. i work with some queenslander brickies and labourers who hate the summer heat, drive with aircon on, aircon on at home and think i'm a mad pommie bxxtard. so some would agree that things can be exaggerated but others wouldn't.
Very true. I'm as uncomfortable in heat that only has 20% humidity as I am in 80% humidity. And my tolerance of the heat itself is far higher than that f The Bloke who often moans about the heat when it hits 27-28, and about the humidity when it hits 60% (and he's an Aussie).
Everyone is different and some people can tolerant much more than others. You don't really know till you try it.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Full Sun in the pool area, 36°C at 9:15am

At the end of March -- Autumn

Summer ?
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Arguements about temperatures are semantics. you will sweat your nuts off.
my guys in the workshop get sent home if the inside temperature exceeds 45 and this has happened only once. as far as I am aware.
I visit the workshop and get back into the aircon asap.
30 in Bris in high humidity feels like 40+

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.