Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Working in the heat and earning potential ?

Brisbane - Working in the heat and earning potential ?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold
Default Brisbane - Working in the heat and earning potential ?

Dear All,

I am a drainer / plumber here in the UK and I am considering a move to Brisbane next year.

I need answers to the following questions:

1. How much can I expect to earn working as a drainer / plumber

2. Would I earn much more self employed / own business

3. What is the highest monthly tempretures in Brisbane

4. Is it easy to do a manually demanding job in that kind of heat

5. Is this kind of work easy to find

It is very important to us as we have a young family and need to be sure of our next move, its an expensive mistake if it all goes wrong,

Hope somebody can help,

Cheers Mate !!

Old Mar 25th 2009, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane - Working in the heat and earning potential ?

[QUOTE=Kiwi-Irish;7417862]Dear All,

QUOTE]

Licence Requirements, do you know all about that??? if not search or go to the QBSA website. Search box on yellow bar above.

Pay, well your entering a construction market in serious decline when heaps are out of work, you are up against tendering against plumbers with years of aussie experience plus loads of contacts, ( plus the quals and licence of course ) . Building up work under less than ideal conditions..... Easy to find this work now, if you want an honest answer, NO. That sounds blunt, sorry but australia has been hit very hard construction wise in the economic fallout.

Heat. Look in dec jan feb etc anywhere in OZ is going to be hot as hell. Yes thats hard to work in, in perth, melb etc it might be very high temps, lots of flies, in brisbane it rarely gets much above 30 but it can be humid some summers. Rest of year in brisbane is pretty nice temps, but summer anywhere in OZ is pretty disgusting for outside manual jobs.

Your best bet is to search on plumbers, licences, QBSA and form your own view on it.

My advice to anyone now is to come out for a month, skip Dreamworld and search for jobs, but of course in your case you need that licence first!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

You can only work for someone until you have licence, a few friends are doing drainage work for gov think they get $25/$30ph.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:38 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Heat. Look in dec jan feb..... in brisbane it rarely gets much above 30
huh??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

stevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish
Dear All,

I am a drainer / plumber here in the UK and I am considering a move to Brisbane next year.

I need answers to the following questions:

It is very important to us as we have a young family and need to be sure of our next move, its an expensive mistake if it all goes wrong,

Hope somebody can help,

Cheers Mate !!

mate as far as heat is concerned, if you can work out in english august 90 degree heat with out to much of a problem then you will adapt well here. best time to come is july, august time and when it starts to get hot try to live without air conditioning as much as possible and you will find your body will acclimatize pretty well. i'm a brickie and with family advice thats what i did and apart from being wet with sweat all the time and making sure i drank loads of water i didn't have much of a problem. my advice as far as licencing is do lots of research on what you need and costs involved and bring loads of back up money or you will struggle, good luck.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
huh??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with jad n rich......there is a lot of exaggerating about how hot it is in Brisbane on here. The facts speak for themselves, average maximum temp in January is 29C...so some days will be more, some less.

Having spent five summers there....I agree with the stats. The first one was the hottest.....and it was hot, this last one was average, the previous two barely happened.

Of course there are a few days when heat + humidity is unbearable, but on the whole it's pretty moderate.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:09 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I agree with jad n rich......there is a lot of exaggerating about how hot it is in Brisbane on here. The facts speak for themselves, average maximum temp in January is 29C...so some days will be more, some less.

Having spent five summers there....I agree with the stats. The first one was the hottest.....and it was hot, this last one was average, the previous two barely happened.

Of course there are a few days when heat + humidity is unbearable, but on the whole it's pretty moderate.
yes, but those temps are gathered in the shade, something QLD gets very little of given the 300 odd days of sunshine that we get. 30 degrees in the sun versus 30 degrees with cloud cover are two very different things. When it is 30 degrees in the shade in QLD it is generally 40 plus in the sun and you will burn in minutes
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

stevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nice

yes, but those temps are gathered in the shade, something QLD gets very little of given the 300 odd days of sunshine that we get. 30 degrees in the sun versus 30 degrees with cloud cover are two very different things. When it is 30 degrees in the shade in QLD it is generally 40 plus in the sun and you will burn in minutes
what brickies try to do and i would think most sensible people do is try to work in the sun early morning if you have to then in the shade for the rest of the day if possible. if your in the sun all day on hot high humidity days it is very hard but you have to avoid that if possible. its generally the humidity that is the worst, 80-90 percent humidity has you sweating in minutes doing a manual job but you don't usually get to many of them. it can be only 32 degrees but high humidity and that is the problem even working in the shade. some people cope better than others.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Completely disagree with the 40 plus in the sun. Don't know whereabouts you are but in the last 3 and half years, we haven't got close to that, whether shade or direct sunlight.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:56 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Completely disagree with the 40 plus in the sun. Don't know whereabouts you are but in the last 3 and half years, we haven't got close to that, whether shade or direct sunlight.
leave a thermometre in the sun at around 1-2pm at the weekend and leave it for five mins, I think you will be shocked by the results
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
quite happy to have a bet on that one!! thermometer in direct sunlight and whether it reaches 40 plus or not.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:08 pm
ABCDiamond

My thermometer current says 25C, in the shade, but I have just moved it to the pool area, in full sun. 9:07am

Be back in a couple of minutes with the result...

Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:10 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Having lived in Brisbane for the last 10 years I can tlel you that the last couple of summers have been fizzers that havent really gone off so recent arrivals to the area may have an unreasonable impression of what a hto Brisbane summer can be like.

Prior to that however, we had some real cookers. It isnt unusual to have a January where every day exceeds 35C and when thats coupled with high hummidity it can be crippling. Basically any time between November and March its possible to get days up above 35C (My parents visited in March a few years ago expecting it to have cooled down a bit and were completely knocked out by a whole week of 37C days!).

Dont be fooled by temperatures either a 35C 10% hummidity dry day would be FAR FAR easier to work in than a 29C 90% hummidity day. Brisbae may not get as hot as the southern capitals, but its often a lot more unpleasant to be outside.

As far as trades people go - its the norm to work a 7am-3pm day to make the most of the less-hot mornings. It'll still get to 30C by 8:30am - but the hummidity tends to rise throughout the day so getting out early is a very good idea.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:24 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

explains my theory quite nicely

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/reso...perature_x.htm
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:31 pm
ABCDiamond

Full Sun in the pool area, 36°C at 9:15am

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.