Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Waterford Area

Brisbane - Waterford Area

Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

weezypenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane - Waterford Area

Anyone Live in the Waterford area? We are looking at possibly building and i believe that there is an estate down there. Got 3 kids and looking for a place with other kids etc
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

philmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant future
Default Re: Brisbane - Waterford Area

Yes I'm very familiar with Waterford in Logan City. A relatively new area with small shopping mall incl, full line Supermarket, which was a Bi-lo but suspect has or will be re-branded Coles. I would imagine the area would be well represented by young families.

Not sure about the estate you mention, but Waterford is in a fast developing district on the Southern fringes of Brisbane.

Also a convenient area for the University and Logan hospital at Meadowbrook - 5 klms or so down the road. There's a couple of major shopping areas within 15 mins drive at Beenleigh and Logan hyperdome.

Incidentally, Logan City is not a city in the concept that Europeans would understand the term. More a district Council authority encompassing a number of suburbs and centres.

Good luck with your building and welcome.

Last edited by philmerrin; Nov 1st 2011 at 11:41 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:24 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Waterford is what is known as a lower socio economic area along with places such as Woodridge, Kingston, Marsden, Crestmead and others. It is a cheap area to build or buy but has a bad reputation. Can I ask are you looking to build there because of price ?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:06 am
Just Joined

philmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chris955
Waterford is what is known as a lower socio economic area along with places such as Woodridge, Kingston, Marsden, Crestmead and others. It is a cheap area to build or buy but has a bad reputation. Can I ask are you looking to build there because of price ?
I can only partially accept the point you make, to lump Waterford in with Woodbridge and Kingston in the same breath is imo being a bit harsh. Are you getting confused with Waterford West which is like a continuation of Marsden, but is actually the other side of the Logan River?
The Edens Landing area of Waterford is not so lower socio-economic at all.

On a more general point the 'bad reputation' areas in Australia are nowhere near as rough as equivalent areas of the UK. I've met East Enders who moved to Woodbridge and reckon it's rather peaceable and up-market compared to what they've left behind.
Canterbury College Anglican high School has an excellent reputation as well.

Last edited by philmerrin; Nov 2nd 2011 at 7:18 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

No, the whole area is not the best in my opinion but yes Waterford West is definitely even worse.
Sorry but to say there are no bad areas as bad as the UK is being incredibly blinkered but also irrelevant to this thread.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

PARKES is on a distinguished road

Not the most desirable postcode..I have family whom live at Waterford West , lovely house and lovely bit of land , just not a great area. They have regular problems with anti-social behaviour, police chasing people through the garden,. fighting neighbours, but they manage. You kind of get used to it. However if its what you can afford...
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Julianne will become famous soon enough

I think it generally depends what part of Waterford you are referring to. I went to school in Waterford (Canterbury College) and remember many new estates popping up during my time there. There are some beautiful houses that back onto the Logan River.

I think suburb views are a matter of opinion and experience sometimes. My parents have lived in Kingston for 35 years since moving from the UK in the 70s. They have never had any major issues there and nor did I when I lived with them. I never experienced any serious 'crime' and the people we lived amongst have always been lovely, friendly people. Whilst I probably wouldn't consider living there again when I return in February, I do feel like many Logan suburbs get slated for no good reason. Plenty of people live in the very happily.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:02 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weezypenguin
Anyone Live in the Waterford area? We are looking at possibly building and i believe that there is an estate down there. Got 3 kids and looking for a place with other kids etc
I lived in Waterford West for my first year in Oz, I didn't have any issues with the area. Coming from a 'rough' area of the UK it seemed positively idyllic in comparison.

The main issue I found was traffic noise (although there are areas that are far enough away from the main thoroughfares) and hooning, especially at the weekend.

I know there is a lot of new development on the Loganlea Road (about 15 minutes walk from Loganlea train station). I would not personally want to live that close to a main road but I know, as Julianne has said, that there are some nice areas that are off the beaten track.

Logan generally gets a bad rap and this is all to the good of anyone who can see the reality and find a nice corner of it at a decent price.

Good luck