British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Brisbane vs Sydney... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/brisbane-vs-sydney-761126/)

MAR001 Jun 9th 2012 1:21 am

Brisbane vs Sydney...

On my long weekend in Brisbane and I have the impression that Sydney has a lot to learn from here..

bcworld Jun 9th 2012 1:28 am

Re: Brisbane vs Sydney...

Originally Posted by MAR001 (Post 10108786)
On my long weekend in Brisbane and I have the impression that Sydney has a lot to learn from here..

Examples?

MAR001 Jun 9th 2012 1:30 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 10108799)
Examples?

Public transport, infrastructure and cleanliness..

roaringmouse Jun 9th 2012 1:40 am

Originally Posted by MAR001 (Post 10108802)

Population is a factor in that, including transient population (e.g. tourists and other visitors for work etc.) Sydney has a resident population or more than double Brisbane, and would also get a greater amount of people passing through.

Scottoir Jun 9th 2012 5:41 am

in deliberately oversimplified terms; you cant surf in brisbane. an aussie city without a surf beach is like a watch that doesnt tell the time. (with the exception of darwin yeeeeha)

Pollyana Jun 9th 2012 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Scottoir (Post 10108947)
in deliberately oversimplified terms; you cant surf in brisbane. an aussie city without a surf beach is like a watch that doesnt tell the time. (with the exception of darwin yeeeeha)

Alice Springs? :sneaky:

bcworld Jun 9th 2012 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10108968)
Alice Springs? :sneaky:

Melbourne doesn't have a surf beach either.

fish.01 Jun 9th 2012 7:20 am

Or Canberra ;)

fish.01 Jun 9th 2012 7:23 am

Originally Posted by MAR001 (Post 10108802)

Do you think? I would have thought some things would be a consequence of the size of the city and others might just be which part you experience in each city. Both have good and bad influenced by size, climate, history, location etc. More a process of matching a city to personal circumstances than anything.

Beoz Jun 9th 2012 8:26 am

Sydney has a lot to learn fron a lot of places around the world. It is blessed with natural beauty but has been plagued by an under achieving government. It's infrastructure is rubbish, architecture very bland except for the Opera House and the Renzo Piano building, and the list goes on. None the less I do like Sydney

MAR001 Jun 9th 2012 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 10109056)
Sydney has a lot to learn fron a lot of places around the world. It is blessed with natural beauty but has been plagued by an under achieving government. It's infrastructure is rubbish, architecture very bland except for the Opera House and the Renzo Piano building, and the list goes on. None the less I do like Sydney

Exactly, I wouldn't come here (Brisbane) to live, but I have the feeling that Brisbane is treated better from the government and it's people. Sydney is cooler though!

NickyC Jun 9th 2012 9:28 am

Originally Posted by MAR001 (Post 10109098)
Exactly, I wouldn't come here (Brisbane) to live, but I have the feeling that Brisbane is treated better from the government and it's people. Sydney is cooler though!

Hmmm. Yes, in the past Brisbane has been treated very well from the proceeds of GST collected from NSW. :sneaky:

fish.01 Jun 9th 2012 9:59 am

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 10109125)
Hmmm. Yes, in the past Brisbane has been treated very well from the proceeds of GST collected from NSW. :sneaky:

:) Sydney has been treated very well from being the centre of the Australian universe....last city that should complain about fair share's ;) Perth is waiting for your refund btw

goldchoccycoin Jun 9th 2012 11:26 am

I never thought I'd hear anyone praising the public transport and infrastructure of Brisbane. It is clean though.

Maybe you haven't seen a peak hour yet.....

PS. I love Brisbane - but not it's public transport or infrastructure.

fish.01 Jun 9th 2012 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin (Post 10109244)
I never thought I'd hear anyone praising the public transport and infrastructure of Brisbane. It is clean though.

Maybe you haven't seen a peak hour yet.....

PS. I love Brisbane - but not it's public transport or infrastructure.

I tend to agree though I think it is like anywhere it depends where you are and what you use. Obviously some parts of the Brisbane transport system are great - one of the most successful BRT systems in the world and the citycats are great. It also has some dire bits like poor frequency on its rail network and often badly laid out bus services once you get away from the BRT and buz system. You can't really decide on things like this in one weekend so I'm guessing the OP is talking about about a few very specific experiences.