Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane V Adelaide.

Brisbane V Adelaide.

Old Jul 19th 2005, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane V Adelaide.

Please help me,

I am in Adelaide now for 8 week and 6 days.

Please can anyone tell me what differences there are between Adelaide and Brissy and please dont say the weather because I already know that one.

Sorry if this has already been covered, not being on here since we left UK.

Thankyou

Libby
Old Jul 19th 2005, 5:45 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brisbane V Adelaide.

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Please help me,

Please can anyone tell me what differences there are between Adelaide and Brissy and please dont say the weather because I already know that one.

Thankyou

Libby
sorry cant answer that one but what do you think of adelaide so far????
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:04 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

In a nutshell - bigger, brighter, busier, newer, plus the weather (which you already know).

Whether or not those points are a positive or a negative is up to your preference .
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
sorry cant answer that one but what do you think of adelaide so far????
Hi Rooksie,

So far in Adelaide its has been OK.

Not at all what I was expecting, I did get this idea that it was supposed to be small, but it is quite the opposite. The actual city is a resonable size,its just that all the suburbs are all intermingled in to one and you can drive for a lot longer than 20 mins to get from the north to the south. The outer suburbs are a better and more spread out, and we have found the south to be nicer than the north.

I cannot fault the people, they are great, so friendly even though I have not found a good friend yet, hence homesickness has kicked in but thats another story.

My hubby has got a job, no problem as a car mechanic. So no worries there.

The kids love the beach life even though its cold at the moment in the morning and at night, so you need your hot water bottle in bed.

Where are you going to or where are you??

Libby
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Hi Rooksie,

Not at all what I was expecting, I did get this idea that it was supposed to be small, but it is quite the opposite. The actual city is a resonable size,its just that all the suburbs are all intermingled in to one and you can drive for a lot longer than 20 mins to get from the north to the south. The outer suburbs are a better and more spread out, and we have found the south to be nicer than the north.

I cannot fault the people, they are great, so friendly even though I have not found a good friend yet, hence homesickness has kicked in but thats another story.

The kids love the beach life even though its cold at the moment in the morning and at night, so you need your hot water bottle in bed.

Libby
Hi Libby - we are in Torquay Devon heading for Adelaide on STNI - my hubbie is a gasfitter and SA is the only state which will sponsor gasfitters. i have to admit Adelaide wasn't our first choice but we have since discovered it is our ONLY choice!!

However there seem to be loads of people headed that way and they all seem to love it and its almost as if it has been a well kept secret up until now!!

glad you are liking it there and maybe we will bump into you, eventually - we are waiting for our second TRA attempt to come back - 5 weeks Friday!!

Jacs
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rooksie
Hi Libby - we are in Torquay Devon heading for Adelaide on STNI - my hubbie is a gasfitter and SA is the only state which will sponsor gasfitters. i have to admit Adelaide wasn't our first choice but we have since discovered it is our ONLY choice!!

However there seem to be loads of people headed that way and they all seem to love it and its almost as if it has been a well kept secret up until now!!

glad you are liking it there and maybe we will bump into you, eventually - we are waiting for our second TRA attempt to come back - 5 weeks Friday!!

Jacs
Hi,

I wish you loads of luck with your TRA, its such a pain in the backside, all that waiting, but worth it so hang in there.

Adelaide is good, and the beaches are great the further south you go.

There does seem to be alot of brits in Adelaide at the moment. The amount of shops you go in where the shop assistants say, ooh you must be the 5 brits we have had in here today. Yet I have never bumped in to any.

Torquay is nice, my Grandma and Grandad used to go there on holiday. I have a photo of them under a palm tree there. Now I see palm trees everywhere.

Sorry, went off one one.

You will love it, good luck with everything,

Libby
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:49 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Hi Rooksie,

Libby
Hi libby,

This is a real conincidence because I have just written a PM to someone. I was explaining my opinion of Adelaide/Brisbane and that I was thinking of putting a post on the forum. However, I really don't want to upset anyone so wasn't sure whether to do it or not. Now, since you have posted the question I feel obliged to give my opinion

You might have seen my post on Adelaide Brits so you would now my opinion but in a nutshell we really preferred Adelaide. At the end of the day it is my opinion and based really on first impressions and my general feelings - nothing is set in stone and everyone is different. We all like different things and have our own thoughts.

We loved Adelaide for the week we were there. It was very clean, friendly, lovely scenery and I remember boarding the plane thinking 'I don't want to leave here'. I felt very at home in Adelaide.

We then went over to Brisbane. Brisbane has been our focus for the past 18 months/ 2 years that we have been planning to emigrate. I have researched all the schools, suburbs, hospitals for work etc etc. I have spoken to loads of people and seen lots of pictures. My mum and dad visited last November to stay with my dad's cousin. So, all in all, I had developed a pretty clear picture of what I expected. Even after loving Adelaide so much I expected to equally love Brisbane and then have to make a very difficult decision on where we were going to live. However, I remember my first feeling on arrival in Brisbane being one of disappointment. It is much busier and felt a LOT bigger. I noticed grafitti everywhere and didn't think it was as clean as Adelaide. I didn't feel the people were as friendly - on the whole really nice but just more of a 'city' attitude. didn't have quite so much time. On our arrival at the motel where we stayed the owner denied that I had called to make a reservation (even though I had stayed up late one night to call, got directions from him and gave him my credit card details). So, they didn't have a room for us but eventually managed to get one - Room 13!! It was just the guy though, his wife was lovely and very apologetic.

Then into Cleveland for lunch and as we drive into the parking space a woman comes knocking on the window telling us that it was her space. Hubby refused to move and I wanted to go home!!

In general I felt Brisbane to be a bit more 'american'. Reminded me of Florida. I just knew I didn't want to stay there. Much prefered the country feel around Adelaide.

However, driving away from the city was better. parts of the Bayside area were lovely. I liked it around the country areas of Sheldon/ Mount Cotton etc. We also travelled up to Australia Zoo and the scenery was beautiful. Very green, lush and quite tropical.

I have to stress these are my thoughts. I really don't want to offend anyone. We were only there for a short while and it just didn't feel right - everyone has there own preferences. You don't hear many people not liking Brisbane (in fact I don't think I have heard anyone say they didn't like it!) so it can't be that bad. It is also probably one of the most popular places to live. I just preferred Adelaide and can't wait to go back. For me queensland/ Brisbane will be a great place to go on holiday.

On the other hand I had very few preconceptions of Adelaide (which was maybe better) and I was very surprised. It was a lot nicer than I expected. I think it depends where you come from too. We live in rural scotland so perhaps Adelaide and the surrounds felt more like 'home'?? I think Adelaide gets a very unjustified bad press.

The one thing I did notice was how patriotic everyone is to their state. When we were in Adelaide people we met always told us that it was the best place to live. Best climate, friendliest people, nicest city, horrible humidity in Brisbane etc etc. And, then, you go to Brisbane and well, you hear the same thing. They say they have the best climate, best beaches, Adelaide is a hick town etc etc. It's actually good to see people taking a pride in where they live.

Well, I think I've said enough. I would recommend you take a holiday and visit if you really want to know what it's like. All the best with your decision making but I hope you're still in Adelaide when we get there

Carolyn
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:50 am
aussie73

Please help me,

Thankyou

Libby
The only way you can really know what Brisbanes like is to see it yourself.
If you can why not go over there for a holiday, escape Adelaides winter, you could also visit the Gold Coast.

Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:52 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been to Adelaide, I've been to Brissy and I must say I didn't like it at all it had no vibe.

And everyone speaks really slow.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:55 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fraser
I've never been to Adelaide, I've been to Brissy and I must say I didn't like it at all it had no vibe.

And everyone speaks really slow.

I've just commented on how I have never heard anyone say they didn't like Brisbane - well there's a first!!! At least I don't feel so alone now

Carolyn
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:56 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

[I]its almost as if it has been a well kept secret up until now!![/I]

Here, here

Carolyn
Old Jul 19th 2005, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NAC
Hi libby,

This is a real conincidence because I have just written a PM to someone. I was explaining my opinion of Adelaide/Brisbane and that I was thinking of putting a post on the forum. However, I really don't want to upset anyone so wasn't sure whether to do it or not. Now, since you have posted the question I feel obliged to give my opinion

You might have seen my post on Adelaide Brits so you would now my opinion but in a nutshell we really preferred Adelaide. At the end of the day it is my opinion and based really on first impressions and my general feelings - nothing is set in stone and everyone is different. We all like different things and have our own thoughts.

We loved Adelaide for the week we were there. It was very clean, friendly, lovely scenery and I remember boarding the plane thinking 'I don't want to leave here'. I felt very at home in Adelaide.

We then went over to Brisbane. Brisbane has been our focus for the past 18 months/ 2 years that we have been planning to emigrate. I have researched all the schools, suburbs, hospitals for work etc etc. I have spoken to loads of people and seen lots of pictures. My mum and dad visited last November to stay with my dad's cousin. So, all in all, I had developed a pretty clear picture of what I expected. Even after loving Adelaide so much I expected to equally love Brisbane and then have to make a very difficult decision on where we were going to live. However, I remember my first feeling on arrival in Brisbane being one of disappointment. It is much busier and felt a LOT bigger. I noticed grafitti everywhere and didn't think it was as clean as Adelaide. I didn't feel the people were as friendly - on the whole really nice but just more of a 'city' attitude. didn't have quite so much time. On our arrival at the motel where we stayed the owner denied that I had called to make a reservation (even though I had stayed up late one night to call, got directions from him and gave him my credit card details). So, they didn't have a room for us but eventually managed to get one - Room 13!! It was just the guy though, his wife was lovely and very apologetic.

Then into Cleveland for lunch and as we drive into the parking space a woman comes knocking on the window telling us that it was her space. Hubby refused to move and I wanted to go home!!

In general I felt Brisbane to be a bit more 'american'. Reminded me of Florida. I just knew I didn't want to stay there. Much prefered the country feel around Adelaide.

However, driving away from the city was better. parts of the Bayside area were lovely. I liked it around the country areas of Sheldon/ Mount Cotton etc. We also travelled up to Australia Zoo and the scenery was beautiful. Very green, lush and quite tropical.

I have to stress these are my thoughts. I really don't want to offend anyone. We were only there for a short while and it just didn't feel right - everyone has there own preferences. You don't hear many people not liking Brisbane (in fact I don't think I have heard anyone say they didn't like it!) so it can't be that bad. It is also probably one of the most popular places to live. I just preferred Adelaide and can't wait to go back. For me queensland/ Brisbane will be a great place to go on holiday.

On the other hand I had very few preconceptions of Adelaide (which was maybe better) and I was very surprised. It was a lot nicer than I expected. I think it depends where you come from too. We live in rural scotland so perhaps Adelaide and the surrounds felt more like 'home'?? I think Adelaide gets a very unjustified bad press.

The one thing I did notice was how patriotic everyone is to their state. When we were in Adelaide people we met always told us that it was the best place to live. Best climate, friendliest people, nicest city, horrible humidity in Brisbane etc etc. And, then, you go to Brisbane and well, you hear the same thing. They say they have the best climate, best beaches, Adelaide is a hick town etc etc. It's actually good to see people taking a pride in where they live.

Well, I think I've said enough. I would recommend you take a holiday and visit if you really want to know what it's like. All the best with your decision making but I hope you're still in Adelaide when we get there

Carolyn
Hi carolyn,

Thankyou for that, I do agree with all your points you made, the people here are so nice and cant do enough for you. They take pride in there state and speak about it with pride which is lovely.
Coming from a small town in Derbyshire, although I know Adelaide is small in comparison to Brisbane, still seems quite big to me. So with that in mind Brisbane would probably feel a bit chlostrophbic (Spelled wrong?).
I have not met anyone who has not got time for you here although when behind a wheel of a car they do turn in to some demented idiot.

Its probably a good idea to do a holiday up there one day, thanks for your advice, apart from anything else I really want to go to Australia Zoo.

Take care,

Libby
Old Jul 19th 2005, 7:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NAC
I've just commented on how I have never heard anyone say they didn't like Brisbane - well there's a first!!! At least I don't feel so alone now

Carolyn
I know of someone else that came up from Adelaide to have a look around, and found that Brisbane wasn't there "cup of tea" either.

I'l have to nip down to Adelaide one day and see what it's all about

Old Jul 19th 2005, 7:24 am
Account Closed

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

thanks guys xxxxxxxx

got my old spring back in my step now
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:18 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I know of someone else that came up from Adelaide to have a look around, and found that Brisbane wasn't there "cup of tea" either.

I'l have to nip down to Adelaide one day and see what it's all about
IN all due respect, to you ABC , any one on this forum who posts over 5000 posts would not like Adelaide, it is too laid back..............luv mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.