Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane: US power extension cord?

Brisbane: US power extension cord?

Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough
Default Brisbane: US power extension cord?

Hi,

Would anybody know of a shop near brisbane that sells US power cords / extension cords?

thanks in advance
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:11 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane: US power extension cord?

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz
Hi,

Would anybody know of a shop near brisbane that sells US power cords / extension cords?

thanks in advance
why ever would you want a N American power cable ? If you have N American electrical goods simply cut the plug off and replace with Australian.

If the item you need the cable for isnt grounded you could simply bend the prongs of the n american item, though I wouldnt recommend it.

I bought some uk/oz adapter plugs in asda last year and they were for n america too, all you had to do was re-position the prongs from \ / to | |
Old Jan 6th 2006, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
why ever would you want a N American power cable ?
An extension cable, not a power cable. I have a 240-110 stepdown stransformer that I using with a couple of things I bought from the US. However, the cable could be longer on the US side of the transformer (I'd like to put the transformer elsewhere cos its ugly).
If you have N American electrical goods simply cut the plug off and replace with Australian.
I cannot do this because it is a 110v appliance and somebody would be likely to stick it in a 240v outlet if I put that kind of plug on it.[/QUOTE]
If the item you need the cable for isnt grounded you could simply bend the prongs of the n american item, though I wouldnt recommend it.
It isn't and I could (thanks for the idea) but I would rather buy a US extension lead - everything plugs in ok but the cable is not long enough. They are extremely cheap to buy off amazon.com but only a few deliver to AU and they charge 25USD above for the delivery (bit steep).
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:10 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz
An extension cable, not a power cable. I have a 240-110 stepdown stransformer that I using with a couple of things I bought from the US. However, the cable could be longer on the US side of the transformer (I'd like to put the transformer elsewhere cos its ugly).

I cannot do this because it is a 110v appliance and somebody would be likely to stick it in a 240v outlet if I put that kind of plug on it.
It isn't and I could (thanks for the idea) but I would rather buy a US extension lead - everything plugs in ok but the cable is not long enough. They are extremely cheap to buy off amazon.com but only a few deliver to AU and they charge 25USD above for the delivery (bit steep).[/QUOTE]
Then I would suggest that you get some electrical wire from hardware store, cut your cord and add the new wire to it using one of those insulated wire connectors ( forget the name for them), the ones with recessed terminal screws, then wrap some electrical tape around them.
Or get some scotch locks and do the same. Scotch locks have a male and female end that connects together and locks which minimises the chance of the wires being pulled apart.
Either way youd be looking at less than $10 for what you want.