Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane townhouses

Brisbane townhouses

Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:02 pm
Blah Blah Blah

Buttockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane townhouses

Been considering buying a Brisbane townhouse to live in. Some of them look lovely we only need three rooms - sod any guests. However, most of the advertisements I've seen seem to contain the words "investor's dream", or some such. Can anyone tell me if there is a stigma attached to townhouses in Brisbane, by which I mean occupied for transient rather than settled reasons?

Cheers
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:37 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Brisbane townhouses

Originally Posted by Buttockup
Been considering buying a Brisbane townhouse to live in. Some of them look lovely we only need three rooms - sod any guests. However, most of the advertisements I've seen seem to contain the words "investor's dream", or some such. Can anyone tell me if there is a stigma attached to townhouses in Brisbane, by which I mean occupied for transient rather than settled reasons?

Cheers
The words "investor's dream" are probably to indicate it is nice and cheap, and therefore suitable for an investor. However, they rarely mention the weekly strata fees that are often also payable.

Townhouses, mainly in complexes, are often rented, although there are also many that are owner occupied. But tradition has been that people like to live on property with a bit more privacy, and not have to comply with the strata rules etc.

There are good and bad points for them.

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:14 am
Blah Blah Blah

Buttockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The words "investor's dream" are probably to indicate it is nice and cheap, and therefore suitable for an investor. However, they rarely mention the weekly strata fees that are often also payable.

Townhouses, mainly in complexes, are often rented, although there are also many that are owner occupied. But tradition has been that people like to live on property with a bit more privacy, and not have to comply with the strata rules etc.

There are good and bad points for them.
Thanks ABC.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I live in a semi detached townhouse in a complex of 10 in Brissy, 8 out of the 10 are owner occupiers. Of those 8, 5 have lived here for more than 5 years.

Buying in a complex you get more house for your money but less garden (generally) so I could buy a better house closer to the CBD than buying an individual house.

Just like everything else some are good some are bad, some are cheap build some expensive. So look around and decide for yourself if it suits.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 11:04 am
Blah Blah Blah

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
I live in a semi detached townhouse in a complex of 10 in Brissy, 8 out of the 10 are owner occupiers. Of those 8, 5 have lived here for more than 5 years.

Buying in a complex you get more house for your money but less garden (generally) so I could buy a better house closer to the CBD than buying an individual house.

Just like everything else some are good some are bad, some are cheap build some expensive. So look around and decide for yourself if it suits.
Thanks mate. That's cheered me up. Was almost resigning myself to an expensive house!