Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - is it too busy/in your face/full of tourists?

Brisbane - is it too busy/in your face/full of tourists?

Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:44 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane - is it too busy/in your face/full of tourists?

Hello

I can not decide between Perth and Brisbane and it is driving me made. We have priced up to go fly to Perth - Brisbane - uk during the two week easter break (am a teacher) but it will cost £1200 each to fly, plus accomodation, food and car hire so we are talking £4500 which we just can't afford so we are really trying hard to make our decision on Perth V Brisbane here in Frampton Cotterell Bristol and I tell you it is bloody hard!

How have you found Brisbane? Is it too full on? Too hot? Houses good price or expensive? Obviously there is loads to do up and down the coast but is it too full on.

Please let me know why you have chosen to go there rather than anywhere else and if you are there how you have found things.

Thank you loads
M and I
Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:54 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Brisbane - is it too busy/in your face/full of tourists?

Originally Posted by Vernons
How have you found Brisbane? Is it too full on? Too hot? Houses good price or expensive? Obviously there is loads to do up and down the coast but is it too full on.

Please let me know why you have chosen to go there rather than anywhere else and if you are there how you have found things.

Thank you loads
M and I
You need to be more specific about the area of Brisbane.

Some parts are hot, reaching 40C, too hot for me others don't go above about 32C

There are quiet parts, some say too quiet; and some busy parts, too busy for me

Houise price again vary a lot between suburbs.

Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:05 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You need to be more specific about the area of Brisbane.

Some parts are hot, reaching 40C, too hot for me others don't go above about 32C

There are quiet parts, some say too quiet; and some busy parts, too busy for me

Houise price again vary a lot between suburbs.
Is the temperature variance due to the location, and breezes from the sea/river, etc?

Any chance of some details of the 'cooler places'? I'm hoping not to sweat my nuts off, but I'd prefer the live in the city, travel to the bearch at the weekend approach rather than have a dialy commute. (I've a job office in Milton).

Any suggestions, and apologies for hijacking the thread!
Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Draven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really nice

Very hot and humid, but then again i like it like that Busy? Yes like any other city Tourists? Yes like any other city
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:02 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I can not decide between Perth and Brisbane and it is driving me made. We have priced up to go fly to Perth - Brisbane - uk during the two week easter break (am a teacher) but it will cost £1200 each to fly, plus accomodation, food and car hire so we are talking £4500 which we just can't afford so we are really trying hard to make our decision on Perth V Brisbane here in Frampton Cotterell Bristol and I tell you it is bloody hard!

Thank you loads
M and I
We chose Brisbane because it's not full on and in your face. There's plenty going on but but you can also have the quiet life if you want it. On our reccie we went to Melbourne too and didn't like it because it felt like a big city and Brisbane doesn't. Although there's no proper beach in Brisbane itself, the parks on the esplanade at Wynnum / Manly are quite pleasant and the coasts are <1 hour away.

We've had a few hot days but we've been surprised at how we haven't felt totally overwhelmed by the heat at all so far this summer. We live bayside so we get nice breezes and it's usually a bit cooler here than the city itself.

House prices - huge variation depending on what you want and where you want it. Around here you can get a 3 bed unit for <$250k but you could easily spend $500k on an average house in other areas.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:17 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
We live bayside so we get nice breezes and it's usually a bit cooler here than the city itself.

i take then
that you would recommend bayside as good place to live
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:19 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
i take then
that you would recommend bayside as good place to live
Well each to his own obviously but we like it. We're renting at the mo but when we get around to buying, it will be around here somewhere.

There are quite a few BE members who live around here too
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Please let me know why you have chosen to go there rather than anywhere else and if you are there how you have found things.hank you loads
M and I

It would have to be Brisbane as Perth is way too isolated imo. Brisbane is a fantastic city but have you ever considered the Gold Coast ?. If not do some research as it has the best of everything. With regards to the weather and The temperatures, it is all the same unless you are near water and catch a breeze and then it drops a few degrees. Hope you make a good choice, hey anywhere over here is 10x better than the U,K
Old Jan 15th 2006, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wmoore
We chose Brisbane because it's not full on and in your face. There's plenty going on but but you can also have the quiet life if you want it. On our reccie we went to Melbourne too and didn't like it because it felt like a big city and Brisbane doesn't. Although there's no proper beach in Brisbane itself, the parks on the esplanade at Wynnum / Manly are quite pleasant and the coasts are <1 hour away.

We've had a few hot days but we've been surprised at how we haven't felt totally overwhelmed by the heat at all so far this summer. We live bayside so we get nice breezes and it's usually a bit cooler here than the city itself.

House prices - huge variation depending on what you want and where you want it. Around here you can get a 3 bed unit for <$250k but you could easily spend $500k on an average house in other areas.
hi wmoore where about in brisbane are you
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thank you loads
M and I

Hi

We live Bayside Brisbane and it is quiet where we live. I find the Gold Coast very touristy ( I knwo some parts aren't) and would not wish to live there but it is only a 45 min drive anyway so fine for visiting. I think Brisbane city itself is great and I would not class myself as a city person. It is not too big or busy compared to a lot of places. I do feel that Brisbane has everything to offer and you can hop on a plane to Sydney easily and cheaply, so good for weekends away etc.
We had considered Perth but felt that we might feel isolated as the next major city is hours away.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by adriang
Is the temperature variance due to the location, and breezes from the sea/river, etc?

Any chance of some details of the 'cooler places'? I'm hoping not to sweat my nuts off, but I'd prefer the live in the city, travel to the bearch at the weekend approach rather than have a dialy commute. (I've a job office in Milton).

Any suggestions, and apologies for hijacking the thread!
Brisbane is hot in summer wherever you live.The answer is split system reverse cycle airconditioning .....and a pool if possible.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:58 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

To add to what alot of others have said, other than Southbank Brisbane doesn't have much to offer as a holiday spot.

However, as a place to live and in terms of checking it out it may be a different story. That said I'd never live there as it's just a big sprawling city with little character.

The good thing about Brisbane is that it's near Bayside (which I guess is technically Brisbane, but I may be wrong), the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast.

They're all great spots to visit and live in, so it's worth coming here just for them.

Yes, it gets hot in Summer but SE Qld is a big place and the difference between parts of Brisbane and the coast is considerable.

Paul.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by diddy
The good thing about Brisbane is that it's near Bayside (which I guess is technically Brisbane, but I may be wrong),
Part of Bayside is actually part of the Brisbane City Council area, but part is in Redland Council area, although many people refer to it all as being part of Brisbane, but then some people also refer to the Gold Coast and Sunshine coast as Brisbane !!

Wynnum, Manly, Lota and Capalaba West are actually in Brisbane, whilst
Thorneside, Birkdale and Capalaba are just into the Redlands.

I tend to think of the whole area as Brisbane, as the city centre is only 45 minutes away even from me.

Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point

Been in Perth for two years now.
Went to gold coast for holiday 2 months ago. Went up to sunshine coast for a look around.
We had a great time but what a breath of fresh air coming back to Perth ( couldn't face driving around in London now).

Everything is so easy in Perth.
Beach , travelling to work, going shopping , going to see an international sports event.
Even if you have a budget of $300,000 you can still buy a house 10 min's drive from beach.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hello

Thank you loads
M and I
I only spent three months in Brisbane on a secondment so not the best source of info, but did not find it in your face at all. has its share of tourists but nowhere near as bad as the gold coast. i would never live in the gold coast. brisbane itself is not too big (think melbourne or sydney) but big enough to have everything. sunshine coast and gold coast are nearby too, and not as isolated as perth would be

will be hot though, get airconditioning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.