Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - is it too busy/in your face/full of tourists?

Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:37 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane - is it too busy/in your face/full of tourists?

Originally Posted by jonjon
hi wmoore where about in brisbane are you
Wynnum West.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

We are not there yet, but we have looked into both.

I think it really depends on what you are after, as they both have different things on offer.

We are currently in the Isle of Man and I would compare living in Perth to living here in the Island, looking at at the bigger picture of the UK. When I say this I mean you can drive around quite easily (most of the time), always near a beach (although none to compare to the worst beach in Oz, but then neither do any UK beaches), there are hardly any major ‘events’ to be seen without travelling to the mainland UK (which is expensive), in a sense you are isolated from the rest of the country.

This can be quite a pleasant experience for some people Im sure, but we want to have a complete change of lifestyle, so we have chosen the east coast as we feel it will offer more. However,

The main reason for the choice is my job. There will be a lot more opportunity for my skills on the east coast, and at the end of the day, without the $s there is no lifestyle.

Im not saying I wouldn’t live in Perth, I would love to, maybe one day I’ll retire out that way!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:55 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

hey mand hows it going are you back in brisbane or still here?
regards
vb2
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vernons
I guess you're a glass half empty person huh, since your only options are all negative. *sigh*
Old Jan 16th 2006, 1:40 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

We recently had some friends over from Uk. They did 2 weeks in Brisbane first for the kids and then came to Perth to have a look. They said for a holiday Brisbane/Goldcoast was better purely because of the kids and the fact it had allot more touristy/theme park stuff...They said if they were to move to Oz they would definately choose Perth over that side of OZ.

I live 45 Mins out of Perth south side. I dont feel isolated and I love it here. It all depends what you want..

I also have some friends that moved to Brisbane about 6-7 months ago. On the fone to them couple of weeks back and they were saying they wished they had a pool. It appears its allot hotter over there than here in WA at the moment. WA is pleasent,but the locals are moaning its cold for this time of year and the summer is well late....
Old Jan 16th 2006, 2:56 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
I guess you're a glass half empty person huh, since your only options are all negative. *sigh*
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:42 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
Not at all I was just asking a question. Sorry that it offended you. I think anyone who is adventurous enough to move to the other side of the world is the type of person who sees the glass as half full actually!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 4:44 pm
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

I am coming to Brisbane for a recce in 4 weeks and intend to look around the Bayside abd Redlands areas, What about the North side of Brissie i.e. Sandgate etc? There doesn't seem to be many comments on the North side of living - is this a good/bad area?

cheers
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:28 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I can not decide between Perth and Brisbane and it is driving me made. We have priced up to go fly to Perth - Brisbane - uk during the two week easter break (am a teacher) but it will cost £1200 each to fly, plus accomodation, food and car hire so we are talking £4500 which we just can't afford so we are really trying hard to make our decision on Perth V Brisbane here in Frampton Cotterell Bristol and I tell you it is bloody hard!

How have you found Brisbane? Is it too full on? Too hot? Houses good price or expensive? Obviously there is loads to do up and down the coast but is it too full on.

Please let me know why you have chosen to go there rather than anywhere else and if you are there how you have found things.

Thank you loads
M and I
Its all down to personal choice, other people cant answer for you and everyone wants different things, there are pros/cons of both and sure you'll pick up advice on here but it will be largely be tainted by who lives where.
I would say come to Perth and try and grab a few days hold over there, if you plan it right you can get a return flight relatively cheaply.

For me I've only visited Brisbane and from that experience wouldnt want to live there over Perth. The City is pretty dissapointing, pretty ugly, comparably dirty, poorly located for the beach, the Sunshine coast is the main highlight and there are some lovely places, but there too far from Brisbane to be able to live there and commute into the CBD, the Gold Coast has a few ok spots but around Surfers its pretty tacky and a bit of a shame that they've let that amount of development go on near such a nice area of coastline. It does also get way to humid for me, its only for a few months(thankfully).
Perth has a much better proximity to the Ocean so if thats part of your decision to move I dont think it can be beaten out of othe major cities. (20min drive from the center of the CBD and your on the sand)
Perth is also booming from an employement perspective, house prices are rising rapidly so dont be fooled into thinking its a cheap option.
There are pretty much 2 seasons in Perth, spring/summer/autumn are all really the same they blend into one long period of roughly the end of Nov through to around June, where it peaks in Jan/Feb/Mar at around the low 30's droping off to mid 20's in the other months.
June to Nov is winter(more like autumn with some cold nights when its clear) you do get a fair amount of rain which is desperately needed after the hot dry summers, but equally you get days around 20C where its clear and sunny (great time for walking the beach) generally temps in winter are 18+ in winter (be warned you will adjust and this wont feel like 18C in the UK though).
Hope that helps in some way...
Steve
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:11 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
Its all down to personal choice, other people cant answer for you and everyone wants different things, there are pros/cons of both and sure you'll pick up advice on here but it will be largely be tainted by who lives where.
I would say come to Perth and try and grab a few days hold over there, if you plan it right you can get a return flight relatively cheaply.

For me I've only visited Brisbane and from that experience wouldnt want to live there over Perth. The City is pretty dissapointing, pretty ugly, comparably dirty, poorly located for the beach, the Sunshine coast is the main highlight and there are some lovely places, but there too far from Brisbane to be able to live there and commute into the CBD, the Gold Coast has a few ok spots but around Surfers its pretty tacky and a bit of a shame that they've let that amount of development go on near such a nice area of coastline. It does also get way to humid for me, its only for a few months(thankfully).
Perth has a much better proximity to the Ocean so if thats part of your decision to move I dont think it can be beaten out of othe major cities. (20min drive from the center of the CBD and your on the sand)
Perth is also booming from an employement perspective, house prices are rising rapidly so dont be fooled into thinking its a cheap option.
There are pretty much 2 seasons in Perth, spring/summer/autumn are all really the same they blend into one long period of roughly the end of Nov through to around June, where it peaks in Jan/Feb/Mar at around the low 30's droping off to mid 20's in the other months.
June to Nov is winter(more like autumn with some cold nights when its clear) you do get a fair amount of rain which is desperately needed after the hot dry summers, but equally you get days around 20C where its clear and sunny (great time for walking the beach) generally temps in winter are 18+ in winter (be warned you will adjust and this wont feel like 18C in the UK though).
Hope that helps in some way...
Steve
i live on the sunshine coast and have commuted into brisbane, city and west - although its a pain its defiinitely doable and loads of people up here do it - its the price of wanting to live here but not yet able to find work up here - its realistic and easy to get to brisbane either by train or car which takes me about 1hr 30 rush hour...and of course if i finish (my public organisation) work at 4 i can be home by 4.15
Old Jan 17th 2006, 2:31 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
i live on the sunshine coast and have commuted into brisbane, city and west - although its a pain its defiinitely doable and loads of people up here do it - its the price of wanting to live here but not yet able to find work up here - its realistic and easy to get to brisbane either by train or car which takes me about 1hr 30 rush hour...and of course if i finish (my public organisation) work at 4 i can be home by 4.15
Any journey is doable if its your only option I suppose.
For me that goes against the main reason I left the UK, I could'nt stand having to spend 2 to 3 hrs on top of an 8hr day just getting to work and back.
It was probably one of the most important factors in where we decided to live, were now 2mins to the beach and 10mins rush hour to where I work.
Steve
Old Jan 17th 2006, 3:18 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Please let me know why you have chosen to go there rather than anywhere else and if you are there how you have found things.

Thank you loads
M and I
Brisbane for me (Wellington Point, Bayside). Close enough to commute to the city, far enough way to have a nice small town feel, and of course the sea.

People I think sometimes confuse Brisbane and the Gold Coast which is 70km away south and thus Brisbane itself is not touristy - not more than any other city is, and certainly less than Sydney for example.

I prefer Brisbane over Perth simply becuase Queensland as a state offers a huge amount to do and explore. For those moments when you do fancy a bit of touristy cheese then head into Surfers, its only an hour and half away. Escape to the mountains, drive up the sunshine coast, inland for some excellent wineries or perhaps offshore for some amazing diving. Climate wise Brisbane has what we were looking for and the attitude is very laid back. Simply a great place to live.

You couldnt pay me to live elsewhere.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 3:23 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Centurion
Brisbane for me (Wellington Point, Bayside). Close enough to commute to the city, far enough way to have a nice small town feel, and of course the sea.

People I think sometimes confuse Brisbane and the Gold Coast which is 70km away south and thus Brisbane itself is not touristy - not more than any other city is, and certainly less than Sydney for example.

I prefer Brisbane over Perth simply becuase Queensland as a state offers a huge amount to do and explore. For those moments when you do fancy a bit of touristy cheese then head into Surfers, its only an hour and half away. Escape to the mountains, drive up the sunshine coast, inland for some excellent wineries or perhaps offshore for some amazing diving. Climate wise Brisbane has what we were looking for and the attitude is very laid back. Simply a great place to live.

You couldnt pay me to live elsewhere.
Agree with this post 100%

Brisbane is not in the slightest touristy but an hours drive north or south and you can have all the touristy stuff you want .. if thats what your after

i love the place and will definately be trying to buy a house here within the next 12months (hopefully wellington point!!)
Old Jan 17th 2006, 3:24 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
Any journey is doable if its your only option I suppose.
For me that goes against the main reason I left the UK, I could'nt stand having to spend 2 to 3 hrs on top of an 8hr day just getting to work and back.
It was probably one of the most important factors in where we decided to live, were now 2mins to the beach and 10mins rush hour to where I work.
Steve

same here steve - i'm 15 mins from work (cant really call it rush hour even tho sunshine coast natives think more than 3 cars on a road should prompt calls for population caps), and 1 min from nearest beach. it can be hard to find a job on the coast but the area's developing - more settlers, more business = more growth and hopefully more work opps.

as for the busy/in face/touristy issue, st ives in cornwall has all of those things, so does totnes in devon where i lived before coming out here...think it depends how you react to busy/touristy areas cos just about everywheres got them.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 3:26 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cam_uk
i love the place and will definately be trying to buy a house here within the next 12months (hopefully wellington point!!)
Good choice. Wello Point is frankly the nicest place in the world to live I reckon (but heck - I'm biased)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.