Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Telecom tech/engineers....anyone?

Brisbane Telecom tech/engineers....anyone?

Old May 12th 2013, 3:57 pm
Banned

neil32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Telecom tech/engineers....anyone?

Originally Posted by James.H
Not WHAT you know, but WHO you know I'm afraid.

I still work with copper and fault find the Telstra copper network for a living. I also do ADSL/SHDSL installs for ISP's.

What with the NBN in progress I was worried about copper work dying out and looked into fibre, but apparently it's now flooded and 'everyone's at it',

I used to install key based phone systems for NEC but that's a dying technology if there ever was one!
I've heard read this a few times now thats its WHO you know, thats similar to the way it still works in the UK. If someone you know can get you in for an interview and recommends you that is usually enough.

I think for me to go back to copper line work, it going to be quiet difficult and I am maybe better trying to get something dealing with cisco, either in a NOC environment, helpdesk or in the field. No doubt about it im going to have to get my CCNA to even stand a chance of getting my CV reviewed let along an interview.

The other option is to try and move within my company now and try and get into project work, I have experience of working on projects and with project managers from a spell I did in provisioning work, but choose to go back to a tech role in the NOC to gain a pass in my skills assessment.

The competition in telecoms seems to be strong in the technical field. I always find telecoms job very hard to find in the UK, as a lot of roles are advertised internally.

I very much doubt I could gain experience now in the uk to bridge the gap between what I know and do in telecoms with what IT roles require.....it would also mean a pay drop and starting form the bottom.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 7:51 pm
Banned

Going to resurrect this post as I am now targeting Melbourne and salaries there. So anyone working in Melbourne please get in touch and have a little read of my original post

Thanks
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne really is a good place for telecoms. I recommend you approach NBN to start with, currently they are the ones with hiring power.

BB
Old Jun 12th 2013, 12:59 am
Banned

Default Re: Telecom tech/engineers or project coordinator?

Thanks...had a quick look at NBN

I've spent a bit of time looking on seek, and the salaries are disappointing for anything involving a CCNA or cisco entry level.

Some customer service roles say on a service desk can be just as high, but there does seem to be a lot of project type work, an area I was interested in by decided to stay tech as I could apply for a visa this way.

Is there any project coordinator that can advise me on salaries or roles
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:18 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil32
Thanks...had a quick look at NBN

I've spent a bit of time looking on seek, and the salaries are disappointing for anything involving a CCNA or cisco entry level.

Some customer service roles say on a service desk can be just as high, but there does seem to be a lot of project type work, an area I was interested in by decided to stay tech as I could apply for a visa this way.

Is there any project coordinator that can advise me on salaries or roles
Neil - I am a Project Manager. Project Co-ordinators working for me (large IT company) earn about $55 - 60,000.

BB
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Neil - I am a Project Manager. Project Co-ordinators working for me (large IT company) earn about $55 - 60,000.

BB
Thanks for the information, I was seeing salaries of about $55-75...is that pushing it a bit and the figures you quote more likely?

Also what experience are they looking for and do you need a industry qualification like prince 2?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 8:10 pm
Banned

Default Re: Telecom tech/engineers, Project Co-ordinators....anyone?

Need to re-raise this thread again as I am seriously struggling to find my salary requirements in Melbourne

Looking at the following jobs in telecoms, I hope to achieve $75k + super...is this really too high exceptions? So far I would say it is

Field engineer - copper, broadband, fibre
Field engineer - router and switch installs (CCNA)
NOC engineer (CCNA level)
Project Co-ordinators
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:39 am
Banned

How is this market in Brisbane compared to Melbourne?

Looking at the following jobs in telecoms, I hope to achieve $70-75k + super...is this really too high exceptions?

Follow roles or similar

Project Co-ordinators
Old Feb 5th 2014, 9:29 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Telecom tech/engineers....anyone?

How is this market in Brisbane compared to Melbourne?

Looking at the following jobs in telecoms, I hope to achieve $70-75k + super...is this really too high exceptions?

Follow roles or similar

Project Co-ordinators
I would suggest that the market in Brisbane is considerably smaller than that in Melbourne and would have only a few serious employers and lower salaries. Happy to be corrected by a local there.

BB
Old Feb 6th 2014, 3:04 pm
Banned

Thanks Buzzy Bee

Any Brisbane Telecom workers please get in touch
Old Feb 6th 2014, 3:10 pm
Banned

Default Brisbane Telecom tech/engineers....anyone?

Changing the Title to target brisbane workers

Anyone know how I change the main title that is displayed on the forum main page?

Last edited by old.sparkles; Feb 6th 2014 at 3:27 pm. Reason: Fix smilie
Old Feb 6th 2014, 3:25 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Telecom tech/engineers....anyone?

Changing the Title to target brisbane workers

Anyone know how I change the main title that is displayed on the forum main page?
You ask a kind mod
Old Feb 6th 2014, 5:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
You ask a kind mod
Thank you
Old Feb 7th 2014, 7:35 pm
Banned

Hi,

Really struggling to find out salaries in Brisbane for these roles and not seeing a lot of roles available.

If any Brisbane Telecoms worker can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2014, 1:21 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Brisbane Telecom tech/engineers....anyone?

Hi,

Really struggling to find out salaries in Brisbane for these roles and not seeing a lot of roles available.

If any Brisbane Telecoms worker can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Google "Hays salary survey"

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.