Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - Adelaide

Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - Adelaide

Old May 28th 2006, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - Adelaide

Me and the OH have decided we may do a bit of a tour when we first arrive. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest places to stay in the above cities. Also anything you think is a must see.

We can spend about $100 - $150 per night on accomodation. Obviously the cheaper the better, but as we have two kids it needs to be "decentish"

Any help is greatly received.

TIA
Wendy
Old May 28th 2006, 8:19 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - Adelaide

Originally Posted by WendyC
Me and the OH have decided we may do a bit of a tour when we first arrive. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest places to stay in the above cities. Also anything you think is a must see.

We can spend about $100 - $150 per night on accomodation. Obviously the cheaper the better, but as we have two kids it needs to be "decentish"

TIA
Wendy
Wendy

If you go out of the Australian school holidays you will find lots of self-catering apartment type holiday accomodation available fairly cheap.

There would obviously be more choice of this type outside the main city centres but there are also lots of motels.

We have never had a problem finding somewhere to stay.

G
Old May 28th 2006, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to have an amazing time! Thribble and I did something similar. We spent two months driving from Perth to Melbourne via Sydney, Canberra, Uluru, Alice Springs, and Adelaide (16,000km).

We signed up with the YHA before we left the UK and our cards came in so handy over here. The YHAs are great places to stay (all providing bedding, etc) are very family-friendly (book ahead, to avoid disappointment) and very reasonably-priced. See http://yha.com.au/ for details.

If you're planning on doing a decent road-trip and you have the time, head up to the Red Centre. While you're travelling, it seems like no distance at all but once you get settled, it seems like an enormous distance. Bring fly-nets!

We saw too many good things to pick out must-sees, but if you're interested in reading about our trip (when you're on the 'plane, perhaps), take a look right here.

Enjoy!

--paj
Old May 28th 2006, 8:41 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

If you come to the Blue Mountains, you can stay with us for free. Alternatively there are thousands of places to stay up here... and you can't come to Sydney without seeing the Blue Mountains. (I know all the best bits that the tourists never see.) We also have wine here....
Old May 28th 2006, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Wendy

If you go out of the Australian school holidays you will find lots of self-catering apartment type holiday accomodation available fairly cheap.

There would obviously be more choice of this type outside the main city centres but there are also lots of motels.

We have never had a problem finding somewhere to stay.

G
Thanks for that G.

It's typical that our house sale means that we will probably be in the middle of a school holiday isn't it. But I'm keeping them all in mind when looking, it may just mean spending a bit longer in Brisbane but we're not in any rush so it's not too much of a problem.
Old May 28th 2006, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
You are going to have an amazing time! Thribble and I did something similar. We spent two months driving from Perth to Melbourne via Sydney, Canberra, Uluru, Alice Springs, and Adelaide (16,000km).

We signed up with the YHA before we left the UK and our cards came in so handy over here. The YHAs are great places to stay (all providing bedding, etc) are very family-friendly (book ahead, to avoid disappointment) and very reasonably-priced. See http://yha.com.au/ for details.

If you're planning on doing a decent road-trip and you have the time, head up to the Red Centre. While you're travelling, it seems like no distance at all but once you get settled, it seems like an enormous distance. Bring fly-nets!

We saw too many good things to pick out must-sees, but if you're interested in reading about our trip (when you're on the 'plane, perhaps), take a look right here.

Enjoy!

--paj

Cheers hun,

I will have a read of your experiences. I love stuff like that !!

I'm looking forward to doing this trip, will check out the link.
Old May 28th 2006, 8:54 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Try http://www.big4.com.au/public/

The on site cabins are great with bathrooms, kitchens and some even with spa baths and balconys. The sites are usually of a high standard and have pools and games rooms etc

We travelled over from W/A and joined up as members. We never had a bad stay. The kids loved it too
Old May 28th 2006, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iPom
If you come to the Blue Mountains, you can stay with us for free. Alternatively there are thousands of places to stay up here... and you can't come to Sydney without seeing the Blue Mountains. (I know all the best bits that the tourists never see.) We also have wine here....

Aw, bless you that's so lovely of you. But I wouldn't inflict my lot on anyone !!. I'll send them to a hotel and I'll come stay with you

Seriously I will definately catch up with you on the way through.
Old May 28th 2006, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hevs
Try http://www.big4.com.au/public/

The on site cabins are great with bathrooms, kitchens and some even with spa baths and balconys. The sites are usually of a high standard and have pools and games rooms etc

Thankyou for that. Will check it out.
Old May 28th 2006, 9:37 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

TIA
Wendy
Where do you intend to stay when you get to SA?
Old May 28th 2006, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by wengerboy
Where do you intend to stay when you get to SA?

I don't know. It depends what is available really, but my Aunt is going to try to find us something when I can get a definate date. She said she'll go check some places out and see if she can get us a discount.

I have over 100 links for SA, but nothing for anywhere else.
Old May 28th 2006, 9:52 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know. It depends what is available really, but my Aunt is going to try to find us something when I can get a definate date. She said she'll go check some places out and see if she can get us a discount.

I have over 100 links for SA, but nothing for anywhere else.
well seeing as it`s you`re final destination perhaps you should consider trying OAA and save a bit of dough, i`m of course presuming you`re on 136/7?
Old May 28th 2006, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

well seeing as it`s you`re final destination perhaps you should consider trying OAA and save a bit of dough, i`m of course presuming you`re on 136/7?

I didn't know you could do that. I thought you could only book it straight off the plane so to speak.

If it's possible then I will certainly be looking into that.
Old May 28th 2006, 10:23 am
Up The Arse!!

I didn't know you could do that. I thought you could only book it straight off the plane so to speak.

If it's possible then I will certainly be looking into that.
it`s recommended that you give at least 8 weeks notice and 6 weeks for the meet and greet, i managed the meet and greet but failed to secure the OAA.
http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/sit..._onarrival.php
Old May 28th 2006, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it`s recommended that you give at least 8 weeks notice and 6 weeks for the meet and greet, i managed the meet and greet but failed to secure the OAA.
http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/sit..._onarrival.php

Yes, knew about the notice - hard to give when you are going straight after selling the house. Especially with the selling system in the UK

I have the forms, I got them sent a few weeks back by e-mail.

What was the meet and greet like?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.