Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane suburbs, worst and best

Brisbane suburbs, worst and best

Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:38 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane suburbs, worst and best

Originally Posted by themerlin
Toilets haven't got that far then

Thats what I look for, the ability to piss in the garden, I think realestate.com.au should have a symbol for it next to the number of bed and bathrooms.
lmao WE SHOULD CREATE A symbol ! HUH

Originally Posted by jaycat
What about Jimboomba, greenbank, area's.
Mostly acerage, quiet, reasonably priced.
Its sort of in between Brisbane and gold coast.
Great area to bring up children.
Friendly people.
I agree, North maclean, Jimbomboolabong, Greenbank.

I think Jimboomba will see shit hot prices soon, due to the logan amalgamation and the new rd !
Nice ppl in Jimboomba too !!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bcworld
Spring Hill & Paddington I'd agree are not great areas for kids but what's wrong with The Gap??
I dont know what is wrong with The gap but it must have a bad reputation as I can remember even in the UK, staff at the railways used to shout "Mind the gap"
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:31 pm
Precociously Stupid

TsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

I think Jimboomba will see shit hot prices soon, due to the logan amalgamation and the new rd !
Agreed on Jimboomba! I was working at a property valuers for a couple of weeks a few months back and prices around there have skyrocketed in the last few years (say, almost DOUBLED. Same with Woodridge, but don't live in Woodridge. It's not worth it).

I'd go Jimboomba rather than Greenbank, Greenbank Acreage rather than Greenbank Suburbia - but as for bringing up kids, it's only good so long as they're not teenagers. When they get to the teenager stage, send them to a dormitory or buy them a car quicksmart, otherwise you'll be driving them everywhere ALOT (no PT. Maybe there'll be some in 10 years, but for now...).

And don't start going to The Calamvale and thinking it's cool just because you live in Jimboomba and it's too far out to go anywhere else. Seriously. Only Bogans go there (and they wear little clothing so they can get into the club, which charges a cover charge and is more fussy about who they let in than Family Alright then).

Though, renting a motel room in Kangaroo Point for the night might work out cheaper than getting a cab home from the city
Old Dec 13th 2007, 11:28 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TsukinoDeynatsu
Agreed on Jimboomba! I was working at a property valuers for a couple of weeks a few months back and prices around there have skyrocketed in the last few years (say, almost DOUBLED. Same with Woodridge, but don't live in Woodridge. It's not worth it).

I'd go Jimboomba rather than Greenbank, Greenbank Acreage rather than Greenbank Suburbia - but as for bringing up kids, it's only good so long as they're not teenagers. When they get to the teenager stage, send them to a dormitory or buy them a car quicksmart, otherwise you'll be driving them everywhere ALOT (no PT. Maybe there'll be some in 10 years, but for now...).

And don't start going to The Calamvale and thinking it's cool just because you live in Jimboomba and it's too far out to go anywhere else. Seriously. Only Bogans go there (and they wear little clothing so they can get into the club, which charges a cover charge and is more fussy about who they let in than Family Alright then).

Though, renting a motel room in Kangaroo Point for the night might work out cheaper than getting a cab home from the city
We lived in North Maclean.
Kids schooled at Calamvale, tbh, crap school ! albeit it looks cool, but perhaps cos its a college that mentality is ingrained into mainstream schooling.

Never been a fan of the calamvale, but deffo the greenbank RSL. Great place, and I miss it heaps.

Jimbomboolabong is nice, and is expanding at a vast rate. Friend of ours had a small turf farm, approx 20 odd acres from recollection, still for sale, but offers over 3.5 mill !

We wanted to buy in Talinga Dr, Park Ridge 3 yrs ago, and all was set, but our financials didnt materialise, so lost the house. Was going for 468k

That house is currently for sale, 1.3 million ! and not a things been done to it !
Old Dec 13th 2007, 11:58 pm
Precociously Stupid

TsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant future

We lived in North Maclean.
Kids schooled at Calamvale, tbh, crap school ! albeit it looks cool, but perhaps cos its a college that mentality is ingrained into mainstream schooling.

Never been a fan of the calamvale, but deffo the greenbank RSL. Great place, and I miss it heaps.

Jimbomboolabong is nice, and is expanding at a vast rate. Friend of ours had a small turf farm, approx 20 odd acres from recollection, still for sale, but offers over 3.5 mill !

We wanted to buy in Talinga Dr, Park Ridge 3 yrs ago, and all was set, but our financials didnt materialise, so lost the house. Was going for 468k

That house is currently for sale, 1.3 million ! and not a things been done to it !
Yup, the area's boooooooooming. Though no idea why (I think park ridge still only runs a bus through it once every 2 hours or so lol).

I tend to think (and feel, from having to doorknock the area a few years back) that the areas closer to Browns Plains and the 'built up areas' are, while convenient, the 'worse' areas - worse houses and higher crime rate. More trainers up on phone wires etc. the further out you go though, the nicer the people and the nicer the houses/areas....... though less convenient. So it's a bit of a trade-off.

Calamvale College *IS* crap, everyone I know who went there (I went to Algester State School, graduated from there a year or so before Calamvale College was built, all my mates' little brothers & sisters went there) said it sucks because you basically repeat the exact same thing over and over and over again (some new fancy system of integrated learning or whatever).

Most of them left within 1 - 2 years.

Then again, there are people on gumtree who swear blind by Calamvale school. Tend to think they either have dumb kids, got lucky and got a great teacher who'd do the extra work with their kids, or just have no idea what year their child is in at school and see the kid come home happy and think 'wow, must be a great school, must have a great educational system in place too' (much like my parents. 'Can you write me a note mum?' 'Sure, what grade are you in?' )
Old Dec 14th 2007, 12:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TsukinoDeynatsu
More trainers up on phone wires etc.
LOL....i had no idea this was a socio-economic indicator! Any idea when the trainers on phone wire stats for 2007 will be published!??
Old Dec 14th 2007, 12:31 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

There is also a HUGE housing project on the cards not so far away at Yarrabilba which means that the infrastructure will need upgrading (it's a prerequisite actually). This will mean better links to Beenleigh, upgraded roads, better bus service, etc, etc.

If they opened-up the old (narrow gauge) train line then that area would go through the roof ... and probably lose some of it's character too I don't see that happening soon as the latest investigation (the SEQ Regional Plan) deemed it too expensive.

I'd say Jimboomba was too far out to commute to the CBD for the average Joe but I like the area and the people.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 12:37 am
Precociously Stupid

Originally Posted by bcworld
LOL....i had no idea this was a socio-economic indicator! Any idea when the trainers on phone wire stats for 2007 will be published!??
If you see a pair of trainers up on the wires, it means that house sells drugs.

Or, that's what I'm told from a decent source.............. Though there are rather large amounts of them up around the new farm area and less around 'posher' areas, so it's probably true!

If there are any cops on these forums it might change soon now I've posted it but
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:53 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I picture of a tree should do it .
Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:22 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I've lived in The Gap for 7 years now and think its a great place.

The public high school is one of the best performers in Brisbane (outperforms some of the $10K a year private schools academically).

There is a lot of traffic between The Gap and the city but at least with the Brsbane Forest park on the western edge of the suburb you know that there isnt going to be more development out that way and the traffic wont get worse. peak hour buses take a little over half an hour to get into the CBD and driving would take you perhaps 45minutes if you could afford the CBD parking.. Diving to the city off-peak takes about 15 minutes

Its also great being able to quickly escape up to Mt Nebo (in the forest park) where its typically 3 or 4C cooler in summer and chill out listening to the bellbirds 'pinging' away...
Old Dec 14th 2007, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jessy69
Moving to Brisbane, which are the areas to avoid and which are the most pleasant to live?
A lot of the so called poshist areas are only expensive due to their proximity to the city.
As mentioned here there are some great ones, Bulimba and Fig Tree Pocket being my favourites.
Can't stand the so called trendy and exxy suburbs close to the city, awful traffic and crime rates. every time I have to drive through these areas I get the shits as the traffic drives me mad. I can't believe people pay huge amounts to live on 400sqm blocks here for the pleasure of sitting in a queue just to get off their drive in the morning. Each to their own.
I would say though that the schools in these areas should be better than those further out as the quality of familie values and education due to the cost of housing will be high.
Its horses for courses I think. All I would say is get some ideas off here but spend months looking around as a lot of peoples opinions are based on what they have heard or think rather than the truth, especially about the western suburbs.
Fig treepocket has houses costing 10s of millions, but give me upper/brookfield over busy, noisey, snobby hamilton any day.

Sean
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
There is also a HUGE housing project on the cards not so far away at Yarrabilba which means that the infrastructure will need upgrading (it's a prerequisite actually). This will mean better links to Beenleigh, upgraded roads, better bus service, etc, etc.

If they opened-up the old (narrow gauge) train line then that area would go through the roof ... and probably lose some of it's character too I don't see that happening soon as the latest investigation (the SEQ Regional Plan) deemed it too expensive.

I'd say Jimboomba was too far out to commute to the CBD for the average Joe but I like the area and the people.
Yep, another bloody MASSIVE housing project at the foothills of Mt Tamborine !!

Should mean more business for that pub down there, cant remember name, just past the turn for Canungra.

Commute to Brizzy CBD from Jimboomba is easier than it is for me from here.

I guess, Ive never felt or yearned for living next to other ppl, shoed in, just so i can get to work in 3 mins flat

Regarding the train line, they have for yrs been saying the old ipswich line to beenleigh will be reopened and North maclean at Maclean Bridge by the mushy farm will be the BIGGEST HUB in the southern hemisphere pmsl...

Cough Cough yer rite
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by themerlin
I picture of a tree should do it .

Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

jaycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, another bloody MASSIVE housing project at the foothills of Mt Tamborine !!

Should mean more business for that pub down there, cant remember name, just past the turn for Canungra.

Commute to Brizzy CBD from Jimboomba is easier than it is for me from here.

I guess, Ive never felt or yearned for living next to other ppl, shoed in, just so i can get to work in 3 mins flat

Regarding the train line, they have for yrs been saying the old ipswich line to beenleigh will be reopened and North maclean at Maclean Bridge by the mushy farm will be the BIGGEST HUB in the southern hemisphere pmsl...

Cough Cough yer rite
The pub is called "The Bearded Dragon"
Great on a sunday, we often go for a drink and listen to the live music.
Of course the kids love the toad racing and the croc show.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

stickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant future

hi all

hoping to move in the spring, any thoughts on Ferny grove area?

cheers

jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.