British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Brisbane Suburbs - Which One? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/brisbane-suburbs-one-509898/)

sue461 Jan 28th 2008 11:11 pm

Brisbane Suburbs - Which One?

Hi

We are moving to Brisbane at the end of Feb, working in Buranda, has anybody any advice on the best and worst suburbs to live. We are currently living in Melbourne and made a bit of a mistake....don't want to make the same mistake again!!

We are in our 40s grown up children at Uni in UK (visit us during their holidays planning to join us in June for their summer)......

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.....

Sue:confused:

>Trigger< Jan 28th 2008 11:32 pm

Re: Brisbane Suburbs - Which One?

Originally Posted by sue461 (Post 5851298)
Hi

We are moving to Brisbane at the end of Feb, working in Buranda, has anybody any advice on the best and worst suburbs to live. We are currently living in Melbourne and made a bit of a mistake....don't want to make the same mistake again!!

We are in our 40s grown up children at Uni in UK (visit us during their holidays planning to join us in June for their summer)......

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.....

Sue:confused:

Your best bet is to use the rail network as a guide,as Buranda has a train station which is useful for commuting, I would avoid Buranda as a suburb to live in as it's always busy being near the hospital...I would look at bayside suburbs as they would more suit your needs, just decide wether you like North or South...South is best,but of course i'm biased

Bernieboy Jan 28th 2008 11:36 pm

Coming to Brissie next month and will have a reccie of wellingdon point,wife to be has a place in teneriffe but thinking about wellington,any good boozers aroung there Trigger ???

sue461 Jan 28th 2008 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by >Trigger< (Post 5851351)
Your best bet is to use the rail network as a guide,as Buranda has a train station which is useful for commuting, I would avoid Buranda as a suburb to live in as it's always busy being near the hospital...I would look at bayside suburbs as they would more suit your needs, just decide wether you like North or South...South is best,but of course i'm biased

Thanks for this, we have thought about Manly as a possibility.......any views?

>Trigger< Jan 28th 2008 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 5851362)
Coming to Brissie next month and will have a reccie of wellingdon point,wife to be has a place in teneriffe but thinking about wellington,any good boozers aroung there Trigger ???

Shed loads...

Alex Hills hotel...full of spotty teenagers

Wello point tavern...top pub

The sands....top Tradies pub

The Grand view..good for a steak

Couple irish places...finnegans chin...O'reillys..always good come paddy's day

Raby bay has a couple more your upmarket wine bar stuff tho'

>Trigger< Jan 28th 2008 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by sue461 (Post 5851372)
Thanks for this, we have thought about Manly as a possibility.......any views?

Manly is a nice spot some older houses..gets more expensive the nearer you get to the water...beautiful boat harbour in Manly..boaties paradise

Bernieboy Jan 28th 2008 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by >Trigger< (Post 5851380)
Shed loads...

Alex Hills hotel...full of spotty teenagers

Wello point tavern...top pub

The sands....top Tradies pub

The Grand view..good for a steak

Couple irish places...finnegans chin...O'reillys..always good come paddy's day

Raby bay has a couple more your upmarket wine bar stuff tho'

Nice one cheers:thumbup:

sue461 Jan 29th 2008 12:04 am

Originally Posted by >Trigger< (Post 5851383)
Manly is a nice spot some older houses..gets more expensive the nearer you get to the water...beautiful boat harbour in Manly..boaties paradise

Thanks Trigger....:thumbup:

datamile Jan 29th 2008 12:06 am

Buranda is also on most of the eastern bus routes too

http://www.translink.qld.gov.au/qt/translin.nsf/ReferenceLookup/071030_map_network_Eastern.pdf/$file/071030_map_network_Eastern.pdf

TrickyTree Jan 29th 2008 12:10 am

Depends if you want to commute from home to work and how long you want to sit in traffic for (if driving)? I would look at Norman Park, Coorparoo, Wooloongabba and Greenslopes. These suburbs are also pretty close to the CBD for when the young kids come over. Unless your travelling out of peak times the run from the Bayside could be anything.

sue461 Jan 29th 2008 12:12 am

Originally Posted by TrickyTree (Post 5851434)
Depends if you want to commute from home to work and how long you want to sit in traffic for (if driving)? I would look at Norman Park, Coorparoo, Wooloongabba and Greenslopes. These suburbs are also pretty close tothe CBD for when the young kids come over. Unless your travelling out of peak times the run from the Bayside could be anything.

Thanks TrickyTree we will definately look at these suburbs when we arrive....:thumbup: