Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane suburbs for commute to UQ

Brisbane suburbs for commute to UQ

Old Apr 20th 2013, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Prof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane suburbs for commute to UQ

We may be moving to Brisbane and wanted ideas on areas to live.

In the UK we lived near Hampton Court and for the last few years we have been living in Toronto in the Beaches. The following would be our requirements:
  • Easy commute to University of Queensland, St Lucia
  • Ideally by the water (sea/lake or river) - but not in a flood area
  • Area with a high walk score
  • Good high school for year 8 girl (maybe IB)
  • Friendly neighbourhood
  • House - something with some character
Old Apr 20th 2013, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brisbane suburbs for commute to UQ

Areas - try Indooroopilly, Chapel Hill, Kenmore, Kenmore Hills, Taringa, Toowong all of which are very near. Other areas are still commutable though. Check on the flooding with Brisbane City Council zones, although many of these areas are elevated. Some areas are near the river, but to be really close to the river, the flooding possibility increases and housing costs do too.

Sea is about half hour drive away.

IB school - Indooroopilly High and QASMT are in the state system. Don't know about the private sector. DD goes to QASMT and they work their butts off there, but they have a 100% success rate for uni entrance and are a feeder for UQ.

All of the above neighbourhoods are good, except where I live, as I have lowered the tone straight away!

Check out www.realestate.com.au for houses.

Best of luck!

TD