Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BRISBANE SUBURBS - AGAIN SORRY

BRISBANE SUBURBS - AGAIN SORRY

Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future
Default BRISBANE SUBURBS - AGAIN SORRY

We are moving to Brisbane next March and are trying to sort out a rental. We want to rent close to the CBD on the Citycat link so we dont need a car straight away. Would anybody not rent in any of the following districts? If so, why?
  • Guyatt Park/West End - not sure of this one as might be too close to University
  • Regatta/Toowong
  • River Plasa
  • Riverside
  • Mowbray park
  • New Farm Park
  • Hawthorne
  • Teneriffe
  • Bulimba

Its hard to know what an area is like when looking at rentals on the internet.

Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:09 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRISBANE SUBURBS - AGAIN SORRY

West End - good restaurants/cafes/bars but classed as slightly alternate
Toowong - no problems also a good train link to the city
River Plasa - dont know
Riverside - dont know
Mowbray park -dont know
New Farm/Fortitude Valley - good restaurants/cafes/bars walk to city
Hawthorne - no problems
Teneriffe - up and coming area close to the city
Bulimba - good restaurants/cafes/bars
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Hi i would suggest getting a short term furnished rental for 4 weeks when you arrive & look at the places yourself, all your areas look ok but the last thing you want is to be somewere you dont like, the first 6mth is really hard. Try looking at www.ourbrisbane.com good luck with the move gary
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

• Mowbray park - very studenty area...if that is your worry about West End?? City Cat can often be full by the time it gets to Mowbray Park.
  • New Farm Park - I wouldn't live in the park...although some people do!
  • Hawthorne - nice, quiet
  • Teneriffe - no City Cat...you would get the bus to the city form here.
  • Bulimba - nice, good restaurants....only one pub though.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:33 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybie
Would anybody not rent in any of the following districts? If so, why?
  • Guyatt Park/West End - not sure of this one as might be too close to University
  • Regatta/Toowong
  • River Plasa
  • Riverside
  • Mowbray park
  • New Farm Park
  • Hawthorne
  • Teneriffe
  • Bulimba
Most of the areas you mention are pretty good, see below for a bit more info. hope this helps. If I were you I'd be looking at soutbank or newfarm.

Guyatt Park/West End
There isn't much on the guyatt park side of the river, except houses and the uni. The park is ok for a bbq. You can catch buses or the citycat from here. The west end side is nice, lots of nice houses in this area. It does border a bit of light industry. West end has got lots of bars, cafes, restaurants and is home to quite a few different nationalities, which is a good thing. Though it should be said, that many of these things are a considerable distance from the ferry stop.

Regatta/Toowong
I don't really know this area. There are lots of buses going to the city from here. Although it looks like it is next to the river, it is actually seperated from the river by a 5 or 6 lane road, which is extremely busy. There's a shopping centre in Toowong (which I've never visited). Park Road has a few restaurants, and there are more in the general area.

River Plaza
This is on the southside of the river and is actually a city ferry stop. The ferries are far slower and smaller than the citycats. Living near Southbank 1,2 or Southbank 3 would be better (these are city cat stops). Very close to the city, bars, restaurants, etc. Plus you've got west end close by.

Riverside
This is the main CBD stop. There are many big businesses with offices in the near vicinity. There are lots of restaurants, bars and pubs nearby. There are also quite a few apartments close by, within a 10min walk - some are really nice, some are a little average. My family and I live not too far from here!

Mowbray park
This is near shafston college, so another student area. There are a lot of big apartment blocks nearby, but not really much else as far as I can tell. The gabba isn't too far away. East Brisbane is just south of here, it is a mix of old queenslander style houses and light industrial. Shafston Avenue is currently being upgraded with major roadworks. I'd give this one a miss as there doesn't seem to be much to do in the area.

New Farm Park
New Farm is quite a varied suburb. Housing here is very expensive...to buy an old wooden shack on a small block of land would probably set you back GBP500k. There is a good mix of folks living in this suburb, from the very well off, to those without a penny to there name. This applies to west end too. Lots of restaurants along brunswick street. If I was renting here I'd look at somewhere within a 5-10min walk of the new farm park stop.

Fortitude Valley(added this one in for tricky tree!)
This is an old area that has a notorious history. When I came here on holiday 5yrs ago my wife told me "this is the rough part of town", but I couldn't see why. Fortitude valley is the centre of brisbane nightlife. On a friday and saturday night, it is absolutely heaving! Brunswick st mall has weekly markets and free live music. Its a nice place to hang out in the afternoon. Then there's chinatown next door. Plus you've got new farm, james street and the city all close by. It is a great area, but at the same time, there are some dodgy parts! When looking at accommodation, you will have to make sure that you "choose wisely" in this area.

Hawthorne
Another extremely expensive suburb. There are some lovely houses here, with beautifully tended gardens and shiny cars out front. And some not so lovely ones crammed next to one another. I don't know if that many people rent in this area. Pretty much zero in terms of entertainment here...ranks alongside mowbray park in this respect.

Teneriffe
Not a city cat stop... you need to catch the ferry to the other side, where the city cat stop can be found. Teneriffe has a lot of big old converted brick warehouses or "woolstores". You won't find many students in this area, it'll be mostly 25+ working professionals. There are a couple of bars and restaurants on Vernon terrace, but not really that many. You are quite near james street and new farm so there are bars/restaurants there. The area does have quite a nice feel to it. On top of the hill there is a nice little shaded park.

Bulimba
Another pretty expensive place for house buying. Oxford street is where the restaurants and bars can be found. Bulimba is a pretty nice suburb I reckon. I've only been a few times so don't know too much about the area.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:37 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calNgary
Hi i would suggest getting a short term furnished rental for 4 weeks when you arrive & look at the places yourself, all your areas look ok but the last thing you want is to be somewere you dont like, the first 6mth is really hard. Try looking at www.ourbrisbane.com good luck with the move gary
Couldn't agree more with this. Spend some time walking the streets of the areas in question. DON'T rely solely on advice from strangers on the internet !! hee hee...

Get yourself a short-term rental first, as gary says. good luck.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:13 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
Fortitude Valley(added this one in for tricky tree!)
This is an old area that has a notorious history. When I came here on holiday 5yrs ago my wife told me "this is the rough part of town", but I couldn't see why. Fortitude valley is the centre of brisbane nightlife. On a friday and saturday night, it is absolutely heaving! Brunswick st mall has weekly markets and free live music. Its a nice place to hang out in the afternoon. Then there's chinatown next door. Plus you've got new farm, james street and the city all close by. It is a great area, but at the same time, there are some dodgy parts! When looking at accommodation, you will have to make sure that you "choose wisely" in this area.
When looking at accommodation stick to the side of the Valley that borders New Farm/Tenerife and you have the best of everything top nightlife a short stroll away, walk to the CBD, Chinatown/James St/New Farm bars/cafes and restaurant a walk away, markets (both Valley and the Powerhouse)/live music every weekend and finally the deal clincher you will have me as a neighbour!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:22 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I hear Teneriffe is the place too be,lots of hot young professionals and a few oldy professionals as well,bloody great place to live,oh i just remembered I live there
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future

Many thanks for your help on this. I can now wittle down the rentals on the internet sites and just search for the "nicer" areas.